DQ Post-Preseason Presser: Tale of Two Halves

vel

11 minutes ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

I watch preseason to see how we respond to certain situations. I want to see what our defense does on the goal line. How does our offense handle 3rd and long? How does Italian Ice look kicking a 55 yarder? Can we get pressure on 3rd and long? 

Exactly.

Going for it on the 4th & 14 let you see if they can convert, how the defense responds to a sudden change with their back against the wall, and if the offense can operate a 2 minute drill with the game on the line. 

22 minutes ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

I watch preseason to see how we respond to certain situations. I want to see what our defense does on the goal line. How does our offense handle 3rd and long? How does Italian Ice look kicking a 55 yarder? Can we get pressure on 3rd and long? 

I agree with this in a sense but it’s more simple than that. The first couple preseason games are merely picking and choosing concepts to run against certain looks. I’d be willing to bet that teams ask each other to run certain looks/concepts in certain situations and then it’s reciprocated. There’s very little game planning until week three; with week four being more of a dress rehearsal.

21 minutes ago, vel said:

Exactly.

Going for it on the 4th & 14 let you see if they can convert, how the defense responds to a sudden change with their back against the wall, and if the offense can operate a 2 minute drill with the game on the line. 

Yup, I'm pretty sure that 2pt conversion was more about running that passing play at the goal line and less about points.