What happened on Sep. 1, 2016?

Answer: Thursday, September 1, 2016 is the date of the last time the Atlanta Falcons won a preseason game, beating Washington 17-15 and going 3-1 in preseason.

Yes, in 2017 and 2018 the Falcons went winless in each preseason. Looks like the Falcons are on track to do it again in 2019. Doing well in preseason may not indicate much concerning the upcoming season, they being essentially glorified scrimmages. However, losing all the preseason games is hardly a good omen.

Game 3 of the preseason is generally the crucial test, since it usually comes the closest to being played like a regular season game, with starters playing the longest. If a team doesn't look sharp in Game 3 - whether they win or lose - don't expect much from the regular season.

Lol preseason has zero to do with the teams overall abilities. Quinn and troff uses them as gauges for roster bubble players. All it does is gives us a good idea how efficient each of our young guys can contribute and if they are worth keep around or not.  Losing preseason games is about much an omen for things to come in the regular season as the 2019 atlanta falcons record is a gauge on whether or not we draft Michael Vick Jr. in 20 years.

Edited by FenixFalcon

2 hours ago, Falcon Freddie said:

Answer: Thursday, September 1, 2016 is the date of the last time the Atlanta Falcons won a preseason game, beating Washington 17-15 and going 3-1 in preseason.

Yes, in 2017 and 2018 the Falcons went winless in each preseason. Looks like the Falcons are on track to do it again in 2019. Doing well in preseason may not indicate much concerning the upcoming season, they being essentially glorified scrimmages. However, losing all the preseason games is hardly a good omen.

Game 3 of the preseason is generally the crucial test, since it usually comes the closest to being played like a regular season game, with starters playing the longest. If a team doesn't look sharp in Game 3 - whether they win or lose - don't expect much from the regular season.

We looked like crap game 3 in 2016 preseason. Offense looked horrible.

33 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Pretty sure we literally benched Ryan earlier than planned in 2016 preseason game #3 because the Dolphins were destroying our Oline and we couldn’t do anything on offense 

Obviously it wasn’t indicative of the way the season would play out 

Please don’t tell the truth they come to tell us the sky is falling.

Our backups were pushing around their starters in the first half last night.

But since their 2nd string beat our 5th string in the second half, the season is lost.

You see how easy it is to conclude based on...just whatever?  

Preseason records mean nothing unless they mean something to you.

The record means nothing to me because the Falcons weren't playing last night.

Why can't some people get that into their heads? 

THE FALCONS WEREN'T PLAYING LAST NIGHT.  

I saw some good plays in last nights game. I also, saw a lot of penalties that kept the Falcons from winning the game. I just can't find it in myself to care about the final score, when the coaches are trying to get playing time for so many guys. The fact that the Falcons D held the starting QB to 3 points (although they got gashed on numerous plays) on the opening drive, and then followed it up by scoring a TD with Schaub was good enough for me. There are definitely some good new players on the roster right now, and as long as we see some progression toward cutting down penalties, then preseason will be a success IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to bump this post. From what I've seen so far, I'm not making advance reservations to Miami and Super Bowl LIV quite yet. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah … "Preseason is meaningless" is the mantra of so many. And yes, preseason games are mostly glorified scrimmages. (Games who's main purpose, I suspect, is to soak a few more bucks out of the season ticket holders.) But still … I doubt there's any Falcons fans who are happy with what they've seen on the field so far. Preseason games do count for something. A barometer, if you will, to the upcoming season.