gazoo

1st Team Defensive Line

45 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Fiddlin John's Ghost said:

Yeah, the Dline balled out until they put the bottom of the barrel in there. Same with the oline too.

Takk dang sure showed out.

Takk looked like a man possessed... like he can’t  wait for the season to start 

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Even late in the game there were guys like Odom and Miles (I think he's an LB, but he rushed like an end) who played well.

Yeah, you right.

Seemed like to me that until half time the lines on both side of the ball were.....dare I say....dominant?

And I don't remember ever seeing that from a falcon team during preseason. Usually the fall off happens before halftime, soon as the starters would come out. Last night, the starters came out quick, after a couple of series. But both lines were still playing very well up until halftime.

This makes me giddy as an english major on scrabble night.

Edited by Fiddlin John's Ghost

32 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Takk looked like a man possessed... like he can’t  wait for the season to start 

he looked mad on the sidelines, like he was mad he wasn't still out there bustin heads or something......gotta love it!

4 hours ago, Fiddlin John's Ghost said:

Yeah, the Dline balled out until they put the bottom of the barrel in there. Same with the oline too.

Takk dang sure showed out.

This is true, the 1st team OL also showed a level of dominance absent in previous years. Lindstrom appears to be a game changer. He has athletic ability of Alex Mack with the nastiness of Harvey Dahl. 

My expectations for this season went up after watching our rebuilt lines.  

Defensive line definitely appears much improved.  Quinn seems intent on getting this defense right and has improved the overall defensive depth. I'd like to see a few of the new defensive guys mixed in with the starters to see how they perform.

Cole World and kiwifalcon like this

If this DL keep this intensity up we are going to be a scary group when all of our top defensive guys are actually playing. 

7 hours ago, Jesus said:

Even late in the game there were guys like Odom and Miles (I think he's an LB, but he rushed like an end) who played well.

They both looked good, but Miles was really showing up all over the place. Very nimble in getting around OL to the QB.

Jesus, gazoo and RING OF HONOR like this

4 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Takk was good! But Crawford and Takk need to sack fitz next time 

Whiffing like crazy 

3 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

What I like about it is that we seem to be able to run inside.  I know it was one game but I can’t wait to see the starters work behind it next Thursday.

Good observation, the inside runs in tough short yardage situations we netting us positive yards and 1st downs where the last several years they lead to stuffs followed by a punt.

Mularkey has the TEs doing a fantastic job collectively with the pulling guards in opening up just enough of a hole for runner to get the yardage needed.  I saw several plays where Lindstrom  and Saubert were making a big difference in short yardage runs. I think it was Brown I saw blow a defender up on a key block on one as well.

Very exciting. 

PokerSteve and blkbigdog35 like this

37 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Takk was good! But Crawford and Takk need to sack fitz next time 

It’s be a lot better when Deion Jones and Neal are playing as far as the QB running up middle for 1st down after pocket collapses. 

ATLskinjob likes this

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Good observation, the inside runs in tough short yardage situations we netting us positive yards and 1st downs where the last several years they lead to stuffs followed by a punt.

Mularkey has the TEs doing a fantastic job collectively with the pulling guards in opening up just enough of a hole for runner to get the yardage needed.  I saw several plays where Lindstrom  and Saubert were making a big difference in short yardage runs. I think it was Brown I saw blow a defender up on a key block on one as well.

Very exciting. 

Yes bro I’m very excited for this season.  I like having so many offensive minds to run the O and now with DQ focusing on the defense man this team could be very special.  They definitely put themselves in a better situation by having better depth behind the starters!!

gazoo and VTCrunkler like this

It’s been my mantra all off season the talents here it’s just not being used or deployed correctly.

Coaching is the key moving DQ to the defensive side and bringing in experienced heads with Ryan to run the offense is akin to the same model as putting more experienced heads around TD off the field.

If you ask me AB good moves on your part.

1 minute ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Yes bro I’m very excited for this season.  I like having so many offensive minds to run the O and now with DQ focusing on the defense man this team could be very special.  They definitely put themselves in a better situation by having better depth behind the starters!!

Our Achilles heel has always been the LOS on both sides of ball. When we really, really, really needed to make a play, we too often got pushed around.

That changed this offseason. We didn’t just get bigger, stronger and more talented.....we got meaner and nastier. 

I think these lines are going to allow us to dominate when we need to dominate. That makes us far more dangerous than we’ve already been some years. This is the year it all comes together IMO.

Just now, gazoo said:

Our Achilles heel has always been the LOS on both sides of ball. When we really, really, really needed to make a play, we too often got pushed around.

That changed this offseason. We didn’t just get bigger, stronger and more talented.....we got meaner and nastier. 

I think these lines are going to allow us to dominate when we need to dominate. That makes us far more dangerous than we’ve already been some years. This is the year it all comes together IMO.

Agree 100%

NCCooley, gazoo and PokerSteve like this

It was really great to watch the first team D line play and dominate......without our best player! I know it's only preseason, but that made me really hopeful for the rest of the season. Also watching Bailey and Davison clogging up the middle so that Takk could make plays on the end was amazing. I think our run D is gonna be a lot stouter than it was last season. Takk looked really good. Vic honestly looked pretty solid too, although I just wish he was more of a dog. He quits on plays, but I understand why he's so intriguing for Quinn. His first step is just ridiculous.

I think this defense has been set up for the LBers and secondary to really be able to make some plays on the ball. The D line is actually getting the real dirty work done and it's leaving everyone else to be able to fly in and really attack the ball. The scheme looks very modified. There were several snaps that were straight up 3-4 and a whole lot of 5-2 looks. I think this defense all of the sudden feels very very different. 

It's even more amazing when you think about that our best defensive players barely played any, if at all. I know Keanu and Deion didn't play and I don't think I noticed Rico in there, but I was more of focusing on the defensive line's play. I think that Fitzpatrick was able to make a lot of plays that definitely wouldn't have happened had Grady or Deion been playing.

I know it's preseason and it's largely meaningless, and I know that the Dolphins have a terrible offensive line, but man. I actually got hyped watching a freakin' preseason game! I hope the way this D feels carries on into the regular season. This team could be really dangerous.