oztin

Could Ronald Acuna become the first 45/45 player

27 posts in this topic

With only needing 11 home runs and 16 stolen bases with 46 games left to go in order to join the 40/40 Club Ronald Acuna is easily on Pace to make that my question is do you think it's possible for him to become the first player to ever get 45 home runs and 45 stolen bases in a season.

Faithful Falcon likes this

40/40 is possible if he keeps up the current pace. 45 would be pretty hard. He would have to homer once every 11 ABs or so. Hes currently popping them about every 16. That's also if he played every inning of every game for the rest of the season. Hes hopefully going to get rest at the end of the year if the Braves can wrap up the division. 

I won't say he never can do it, but I think even getting 40/40 will be challenging this year. Maybe in the future he could, but not this year. 

Regardless, being 21 and having a 30/30 season in your first full season is impressive. If he has a 40/40 season, then that would be nuts. He should get some serious MVP consideration if he does that. 

3 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I won't say he never can do it, but I think even getting 40/40 will be challenging this year. Maybe in the future he could, but not this year. 

Regardless, being 21 and having a 30/30 season in your first full season is impressive. If he has a 40/40 season, then that would be nuts. He should get some serious MVP consideration if he does that. 

He'll get votes but man Christian Yelich. Hes hitting .336/.428/.705 with 39 HR and 23 SB.

5 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

He'll get votes but man Christian Yelich. Hes hitting .336/.428/.705 with 39 HR and 23 SB.

He isn't beating Yelich lol. I should have made that clear. Acuna is good, but Yelich is a top 3 player in the game right now. Heck, he probably isn't beating out Bellinger either. The only way Yelich isn't winning it is if he gets hurt (and even then he still may win it lol).

But I wouldn't be shocked if Acuna gets some votes pending how this season ends. Could see him finishing 3rd

34 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

He isn't beating Yelich lol. I should have made that clear. Acuna is good, but Yelich is a top 3 player in the game right now. Heck, he probably isn't beating out Bellinger either. The only way Yelich isn't winning it is if he gets hurt (and even then he still may win it lol).

But I wouldn't be shocked if Acuna gets some votes pending how this season ends. Could see him finishing 3rd

Bellinger and Yelich are the clear cut #1 and #2. What will hurt Acuna is that he will end up splitting votes with Freddie. But one of them should finish 3rd.

Unpopular opinion: I would prefer Acuña runs less. It takes a toll on the body to steal bases, not to mention the potential for hand and wrist injuries. I was at the game in Rome where Acuña had the strained the ligaments in his thumb and caused him to miss three months of the season. 

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

Unpopular opinion: I would prefer Acuña runs less. It takes a toll on the body to steal bases, not to mention the potential for hand and wrist injuries. I was at the game in Rome where Acuña had the strained the ligaments in his thumb and caused him to miss three months of the season. 

Enter the oven mitt. Lol

I can understand that.. but you know he’s thinking stats.. 

3 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Enter the oven mitt. Lol

I can understand that.. but you know he’s thinking stats.. 

I wish they would learn to slide feet first. I never once saw Chipper ever go head first.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

I wish they would learn to slide feet first. I never once saw Chipper ever go head first.

Kids.. 

:lol:

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

To be fair I am not certain Chipper is the barometer for SBs. He had 150 in 19 seasons. Thats less than 8 per year. As most everyone here I played a ton of ball and have used multiple sliding methods. From a light hitting SS/2B whose main value was defense and speed I dont necessarily subscribe to the thought head first is the devil. In diff situations some techniques seem to have yielded better results for me personally. Not saying i am the barometer either LOL.....

57 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

To be fair I am not certain Chipper is the barometer for SBs. He had 150 in 19 seasons. Thats less than 8 per year. As most everyone here I played a ton of ball and have used multiple sliding methods. From a light hitting SS/2B whose main value was defense and speed I dont necessarily subscribe to the thought head first is the devil. In diff situations some techniques seem to have yielded better results for me personally. Not saying i am the barometer either LOL.....

Chipper was a burner when he first came up. As he grew into his frame and got older he quit running. Same thing Acuna will likely do. As K2 said it's a toll on your body.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Chipper was a burner when he first came up. As he grew into his frame and got older he quit running. Same thing Acuna will likely do. As K2 said it's a toll on your body.

A burner is generous. I saw him play in Macon and he had good speed, but he wasnt a burner. His high in a season was 25. I grew up idolizing Vince Coleman, Rickey Henderson, Pete Rose, and Rex Hudler ( I know I know). They were burners. Not really trying to debate Chippers speed just was making a casual observation that not everyone is against the headfirst slide in all situations. To is it was called the Pete Rose. You are right everyone slows down with age, which brings weight and injuries. 

3 hours ago, Dawggone said:

A burner is generous. I saw him play in Macon and he had good speed, but he wasnt a burner. His high in a season was 25. I grew up idolizing Vince Coleman, Rickey Henderson, Pete Rose, and Rex Hudler ( I know I know). They were burners. Not really trying to debate Chippers speed just was making a casual observation that not everyone is against the headfirst slide in all situations. To is it was called the Pete Rose. You are right everyone slows down with age, which brings weight and injuries. 

Chipper wasn't a burner but he had really good speed coming up. That knee injury in 1994 sapped a lot of his speed. But he was still a good baserunner which is why he got the stolen bases he did. But you're completely missing the point. The point is that sliding feet first is less taxing on your body and your less liable to be injured that way. Acuna is a big guy and if he keeps going like he is he's going to run into the same problem other big guys have, and that is suffering a lot of minor injuries. He's still young enough right now so his body can handle it. But as he gets older he's going to need to change the way he plays, primary all the head first stuff into bases.

48 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Chipper wasn't a burner but he had really good speed coming up. That knee injury in 1994 sapped a lot of his speed. But he was still a good baserunner which is why he got the stolen bases he did. But you're completely missing the point. The point is that sliding feet first is less taxing on your body and your less liable to be injured that way. Acuna is a big guy and if he keeps going like he is he's going to run into the same problem other big guys have, and that is suffering a lot of minor injuries. He's still young enough right now so his body can handle it. But as he gets older he's going to need to change the way he plays, primary all the head first stuff into bases.

Quick rebuttal then we can move on not to bog down the thread:

(1) Acuna isnt a big guy. He is the shortest guy on the team not named Ozzie or Ender, pitchers included.

(2) Its my opinion. I dont agree sliding head first poses a significantly higher injury risk. Plenty of guys slid this way and played long careers with no injuries caused by sliding. 

12 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Quick rebuttal then we can move on not to bog down the thread:

(1) Acuna isnt a big guy. He is the shortest guy on the team not named Ozzie or Ender, pitchers included.

(2) Its my opinion. I dont agree sliding head first poses a significantly higher injury risk. Plenty of guys slid this way and played long careers with no injuries caused by sliding. 

He's only 180 pounds. I thought he was closer to 200 pounds.

youngbloodz likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

He's only 180 pounds. I thought he was closer to 200 pounds.

Yet, he has amazing opposite field power. Just means you don't have to be a big dude to mash. Kind of like Hank Aaron. 

On 8/8/2019 at 0:07 PM, tl;dr said:

I was just thinking about this. He's also like top 5 in runs. Serious MVP Candidate. I wouldn't mind seeing a 50/50. Canseco made 40/40 his own, so maybe Acuna can do the same.

I have a working theory on Acuna, so indulge me for a moment. It is becoming increasingly apparent to me that Acuna HATES baseballs. No, I'm not kidding. Bare with me here. 

At the plate, he takes it out on unsuspecting baseballs by destroying them with moonshot homeruns and rockets for basehits...

He has a cannon for an arm (he hates the baseball, so he gets rid of it quickly)...

He gets around tags because he doesn't like how baseballs feel...

He participated in the Home Run Derby only because it gave him an opportunity to destroy more baseballs in a hate-filled quiet rage...

It totally makes sense now.

Either that, or he is just uber-gifted with the nigh-incomparable ability to play baseball at a high level.

Nah...the first explanation makes ALL the sense. Don't @ me!

LouDog likes this

8 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

I have a working theory on Acuna, so indulge me for a moment. It is becoming increasingly apparent to me that Acuna HATES baseballs. No, I'm not kidding. Bare with me here. 

At the plate, he takes it out on unsuspecting baseballs by destroying them with moonshot homeruns and rockets for basehits...

He has a cannon for an arm (he hates the baseball, so he gets rid of it quickly)...

He gets around tags because he doesn't like how baseballs feel...

He participated in the Home Run Derby only because it gave him an opportunity to destroy more baseballs in a hate-filled quiet rage...

It totally makes sense now.

Either that, or he is just uber-gifted with the nigh-incomparable ability to play baseball at a high level.

Nah...the first explanation makes ALL the sense. Don't @ me!

Why not both :o