Roundup: Kaleb McGary takes in Falcons practice

birdz4i

didn't see this posted.

Here are other notes and news we're monitoring on Tuesday:

1. A pleasant sight came Tuesday at Atlanta Falcons practice, as rookie first-round selection Kaleb McGary was with the team as an observer, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported.

Garafolo added Atlanta coach Dan Quinn said McGary's presence was a good sign and that doctors were "pleased" with the offensive tackle's progress.

McGary underwent a cardiac ablation procedure -- a minimally invasive approach that can correct heart rhythm problems -- on Wednesday.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport added that it's going to be a "wait-and-see" in terms of McGary's return as the team has done research on other athletes with similar ailments and their returns have varied.

During his college days at Washington, McGary had two similar procedures.

The Falcons also announced that they have agreed to terms with OL Tommy Doles and placed QB Kurt Benkert on IR. Benkert, who went undrafted out of Virginia in 2018, was in the midst of an impressive run during the Hall of Fame Game last Thursday when he suffered the injury.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001039172/article/roundup-kaleb-mcgary-takes-in-falcons-practice

I'm just a little concerned they haven't figured out how long it will take for him to return.  These aren't recent college grads.  These are the experts.

Torn ACL/MCL?  X weeks

Broken Fibula?  Y weeks

Broken Colar bone, etc...

His thing?  .....  We need to research.....  hmmm

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I'm just a little concerned they haven't figured out how long it will take for him to return.

Torn ACL/MCL?  X weeks

Broken Fibula?  Y weeks

Acl and mcl arent exact weeks either. What are you talking about? Nothing is exact. They give a time frame 3-4weeks 7-10weeks etc but nothing exact.

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

Acl and mcl arent exact weeks either. What are you talking about? Nothing is exact. They give a time frame 3-4weeks 7-10weeks etc but nothing exact.

ok but exactly.  While not exact they have a general idea how long it will take.

Not in this case which is a little concerning.

May mean nothing but I don't recall another incident like this.

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

ok but exactly.  While not exact they have a general idea how long it will take.

They've said 8-10 weeks. Because he has to he on blood thinners for that long.

1 minute ago, Williamb said:

The reason its wait and see is, make a mistake with your heart; you can die. Make a mistake with an acl; you have another procedure or use your 4 year degree.

It’s not really the heart here we are worried about, it’s a hemorrhagic stroke and/or internal bleeding while on prophylactic blood thinners during the “wait and see” period. When on thinners it’s much easier to bleed from minor contact. Imagine would could happen with a blow to the head in practice. 

6 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

It’s not really the heart here we are worried about, it’s a hemorrhagic stroke and/or internal bleeding while on prophylactic blood thinners during the “wait and see” period. When on thinners it’s much easier to bleed from minor contact. Imagine would could happen with a blow to the head in practice. 

I understand, I'm a critical care nurse. But the serious nature of the situation still outweighs that of a joint injury. But thanks for clarifying.

26 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

They have said that. 8-12 weeks is typical, but athletes can usually manage it 6-8 weeks, even possible for it to be as little as 2 weeks to a month ,depending on exactly what they did during the procedure.

I know that he's prohibited from contact and practice while he's on blood thinners, but how is watching a practice a big deal? Are they really worried about a stray football hitting him?

31 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

They've said 8-10 weeks. Because he has to he on blood thinners for that long.

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

They have said that. 8-12 weeks is typical, but athletes can usually manage it 6-8 weeks, even possible for it to be as little as 2 weeks to a month ,depending on exactly what they did during the procedure.

I know that he's prohibited from contact and practice while he's on blood thinners, but how is watching a practice a big deal? Are they really worried about a stray football hitting him?

Yeah I was referring to what the OP provided below.

1 hour ago, birdz4i said:

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport added that it's going to be a "wait-and-see" in terms of McGary's return as the team has done research on other athletes with similar ailments and their returns have varied.

17 minutes ago, Williamb said:

I understand, I'm a critical care nurse. But the serious nature of the situation still outweighs that of a joint injury. But thanks for clarifying.

Honestly the prophylactic blood thinners are over-prescribed for post-ablation periods. He should be back on the field within a week, but he won’t. 

44 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I'm just a little concerned they haven't figured out how long it will take for him to return.  These aren't recent college grads.  These are the experts.

Torn ACL/MCL?  X weeks

Broken Fibula?  Y weeks

Itll be about 8 weeks man, and thats because he's a professional athlete and they are taking extra precautions 

Edited by ⚡Slumerican⚡

47 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Torn ACL/MCL?  X weeks

Broken Fibula?  Y weeks

I have a fib so I know a little bit about it. The ablation is a trial and error type procedure, I have never had one (my medication is sufficient to control the rapid heart rate) I have a friend who has had 7or 8 procedures.With out knowing his history there is no way to tell if this will be his last ablation. Time will tell.

25 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Honestly the prophylactic blood thinners are over-prescribed for post-ablation periods. He should be back on the field within a week, but he won’t. 

Might be in two weeks though.  

So, my question about why it's a big deal he's on the sidelines. Is there something to worry about. Does that make sense medically or is it just the media hyping it up?

7 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Might be in two weeks though.  

So, my question about why it's a big deal he's on the sidelines. Is there something to worry about. Does that make sense medically or is it just the media hyping it up?

Average layman plus a little knowledge is a bad thing. It’s why I was arguing with a poster (caponine) and he was in way over his head about this subject and didn’t know what he was talking about. He honestly could be doing drills right now, just non-contact ones. It’s normal. Media stupid. 

Edited by droopy1592

2 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Average layman plus a little knowledge is a bad thing. It’s why I was arguing with a poster (caponine) and he was in way over his head about this subject and didn’t know what he was talking about. He honestly could be doing drills right now, just non-contact ones. It’s normal. Media stupid. 

OK, that what I thought. I  am glad to see him at practice, but it's not some miraculous recovery.