RazorWing

Do we trade for a quarterback?

180 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, vel said:

Why would you trade a player who can actually produce something this season for a player who may throw 10 passes in three seasons? 

Quality backups are expensive and can’t save the season if Ryan goes down

J.Reed likes this

15 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Can you read? Where did I say we want a backup QB to win games? 

And you're telling me this team can't win with Tyrod Taylor, Brisett, Tannehill, Mullens, Keenum, Bridgewater, or Bortles? And Cody Kessler, forgot about him. And Chase Daniel, forgot him too.

If you think we can't win with any of those then this team is garbage.

Okay, most of those are good backups, but Chase Daniel ain’t done jack **** but hold a clipboard the last 10 years. He was fine in his limited time last year for the Bears I guess, but that’s really the only time he’s ever played. Unless he always kills it in the preseason or something, I don’t think he’s very good at all. 

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

Exactly. Especially considering our current backup has thrown a whopping 10 passes in 3 years. I would be livid if they trade an actually viable backup who will get carries for a guy who won't play a snap. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

6 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Okay, most of those are good backups, but Chase Daniel ain’t done jack **** but hold a clipboard the last 10 years. He was fine in his limited time last year for the Bears I guess, but that’s really the only time he’s ever played. Unless he always kills it in the preseason or something, I don’t think he’s very good at all. 

He played 2 games and the team scored 50 points together in those games. That's what you want in a backup. How do you not get that? Lol you aren't expecting him to win a whole season. 

Try watching more than just Falcons games.

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Yeah a Nick Foles is like 1 and 1,000 to come along.

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Bortles and Kessler are cheaper than Shaub and have shown they can win games. Kessler is the cheapest and went 2-2 for the Jags last year. That's all you need from a backup if Ryan has to miss a few games. Also helps practice and preseason evaluation. 

FalconsIn2012 and Vandy like this

16 minutes ago, blutarski said:

Kaep isn't taking a contract that offers him backup money, he's already turned down several offers as such.  Remember, Koetter's offense incorporates a concerted effort to get the ball down field, which hasn't been Kaep's strength.

That and the only thing he's good at is victory formation...

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

No one has mentioned Foles.

He isnt even any good anyway. Obviously better than Schaub at this point but what Foles was largely a product of his surroundings. 

Just now, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

He isnt even any good anyway. Obviously better than Schaub at this point but what Foles was largely a product of his surroundings. 

Doug really helped him out. Changed gameplan to suit him. Amazing coaching right there.

NeonDeion and FalconsIn2012 like this

4 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Doug really helped him out. Changed gameplan to suit him. Amazing coaching right there.

DeFillippo was the magic man behind Wentz  & Foles

vel likes this

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

And cost the Eagles 16 million over 2 years

I'm not even that big on the cost part. It's the "what is being accomplished?"

Might as well complain we need to trade for a backup MLB since we saw what happened when Debo went down. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

DeFillippo was the magic man behind Wentz  & Foles

Took a Vikings offense ranked 10th and turned them into 19th. I have my doubts on that.

1 minute ago, vel said:

Might as well complain we need to trade for a backup MLB since we saw what happened when Debo went down. 

I agree. You can’t construct a roster with worst case scenerio in mind.

We did some of that on the OL unfortunately

vel likes this

2 minutes ago, vel said:

How dare people want this team to get better. Idiots. Smh. 

36 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

It's a no brainer at this point...he deserves a shot than that clown Schaub.

Just not fair …

Life isn't fair. I don't want that guy anywhere near our team...

If we bring in a prospective backup QB, he will require significant resources.  Simms is not going to get a lot because he is a camp body.  We may have our future QB with Benkert.  So, bringing in a QB who does not know our playbook and system and has starter or 2nd string potential will consume lots of coaching time and may provide no long term benefit.  Schaub is our 2019 2nd string QB.  Benkert is our 2020 2nd string QB.  Next spring, we will draft a prospective 3rd string QB.  Or, we may grab one following the 53 player cut down.  Right now, there is no one available who meets the requirements.  If there was an unsigned QB like Benkert available, we would sign him and stash him on the PS.  It is too close to the season to bring up a new guy to backup.  Benkert's injury was bad timing from a 2019 season perspective.  Relative to the 2020 season, Benkert going to IR is almost perfect.  Another year to learn, time to heal, and full preparation for 2020.

6 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

How dare people want this team to get better. Idiots. Smh. 

How does the proposed scenario from the OP make the team better on Sundays? 

Just now, vel said:

How does the proposed scenario from the OP make the team better on Sundays? 

Never said his idea does. But getting a better backup QB or LB would.

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Never said his idea does. But getting a better backup QB or LB would.

All I'm replying to is the OP. I don't know why you constantly take my posts and try to make them something else. You make a thread about what you want, I'll reply to that. My reply is focused on how I think trading a backup RB with #2 RB potential for a backup QB is stupid. We can talk about that if you want. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

12 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Took a Vikings offense ranked 10th and turned them into 19th. I have my doubts on that.

I was surprised about his being fired by the Vikings, honestly.

But he only got 12 games I think.  Thru 11 games they were averaging 24 points per game with a 6 point dud vs Buffalo.  Take out the Buffalo game and it’s 26.3 ppg in 10 games.  Much better than Sark in 2017 with far less talent

This time a year ago, DeFilippo was viewed as the hottest OC candidate after helping the Philadelphia Eagles win the Super Bowl as quarterbacks coach. The 40-year-old was widely credited with aiding Carson Wentz's MVP-caliber season and helping morph Nick Foles into a Super Bowl MVP.

6 minutes ago, vel said:

All I'm replying to is the OP. I don't know why you constantly take my posts and try to make them something else. You make a thread about what you want, I'll reply to that. My reply is focused on how I think trading a backup RB with #2 RB potential for a backup QB is stupid. We can talk about that if you want. 

You didn't mention the trade so? How am I supposed to know you stayed on topic with the trade when talking about Foles lol.

Also what RB is he trading that has "#2 potential"?