Desmond Trufant 2018 gif review

Goober Pyle

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

A fair analysis. The good, the bad, and the ugly of Desmond Trufant’s 2018 season.

i still see an above-average corner.

Very much so above average. Allen puts it perfectly noting he was slow and off in the first half of the year. Technique was very lazy, eyes were lazy, etc. The back half of the year he played much better. Was more locked in, tighter coverage, all of it. Still can't catch a cold...

22 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Definitely above average. I really thought he was going to be very good after his first few seasons.

I think he is very good. I think more than anybody on the defense, he's been most impacted by the DC coaching changes. Manuel played a very passive game. It was "don't give up anything deep" at it's finest. It made sense, but DQ is going to play a more aggressive style, which I think suits Tru more than playing soft. He is very fast and agile and playing aggressive lets him play in pockets more often. He's a true man corner, not a zone corner, and I think with Oliver as well, they will play a ton more man to highlight this. 

25 minutes ago, vel said:

I think he is very good. I think more than anybody on the defense, he's been most impacted by the DC coaching changes. Manuel played a very passive game. It was "don't give up anything deep" at it's finest. It made sense, but DQ is going to play a more aggressive style, which I think suits Tru more than playing soft. He is very fast and agile and playing aggressive lets him play in pockets more often. He's a true man corner, not a zone corner, and I think with Oliver as well, they will play a ton more man to highlight this. 

So true. 

Goes without saying, having our 2 starting safeties back will be huge as well. There was a lot of confusion back there last season....which to your point, comes back to coaching.

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

If he catches his easy INT’s since 2016 he would be top 8 every year.  Very good tackler, great in press and puts himself in position to lead NFL in INT’s every year

Since his rookie year. He’s been dropping picks ever since Willy Mo blasted him and knocked his first pick out his hands. He’s been dropping picks ever since. Actually if you add up all of tru’s missed picks he’d be on his way to a HOF career. That’s how many picks he drops per year. Lol. 

8 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Since his rookie year. He’s been dropping picks ever since Willy Mo blasted him and knocked his first pick out his hands. He’s been dropping picks ever since. Actually if you add up all of tru’s missed picks he’d be on his way to a HOF career. That’s how many picks he drops per year. Lol. 

Those are facts.  And he should get credit for reading the plays right and regularly putting himself in position to get a pick

17 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

If he catches his easy INT’s since 2016 he would be top 8 every year.  Very good tackler, great in press and puts himself in position to lead NFL in INT’s every year

Idc what pff says his biggest weakness is vs the run.  Alford missed tackles but he also had huge plays vs the run because he was a willing tackler and agressive at attacking the ball carrier. Trufant is the opposite. He's like I was when I played defense. Indecive at how to attack the ball carrier. Which is why I played OT. He's a coraller which is fine, and arguably a plus, if the rest of the defense is quick to the ball. 

Last year they weren't and it made Trufant look really bad at times.

7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Those are facts.  And he should get credit for reading the plays right and regularly putting himself in position to get a pick

Well kroy Bierman isn't celebrated for putting himself in position to almost get a sack. If you want credit for something you have to finish it 100%. 99% doesn't mean anything, and I'm sure Trufant would agree

2 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Well kroy Bierman isn't celebrated for putting himself in position to almost get a sack. If you want credit for something you have to finish it 100%. 99% doesn't mean anything, and I'm sure Trufant would agree

True...but at least Tru gets a pass break up when he misses a pick.  Still a plus

26 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

True...but at least Tru gets a pass break up when he misses a pick.  Still a plus

In all fairness Bierman gets a pressure too. I always used to wonder why Trufant would bat down passes that many corners would try to pick off. I know why now. Catching ints isn't as easy as catching passes is for.a.w.r. a receiver only has to.focus on catching the pass. Corners have to think about much more. I give him a pass on the drops

43 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Idc what pff says his biggest weakness is vs the run.  Alford missed tackles but he also had huge plays vs the run because he was a willing tackler and agressive at attacking the ball carrier. Trufant is the opposite. He's like I was when I played defense. Indecive at how to attack the ball carrier. Which is why I played OT. He's a coraller which is fine, and arguably a plus, if the rest of the defense is quick to the ball. 

Last year they weren't and it made Trufant look really bad at times.

I would say the only difference between tru and Alf in tackling is Alf is aggressive. Tru is more sure. He doesn’t miss as many tackles as Alf because he’s not as aggressive. But even that depends. Tru definitely is a good tackler. 

10 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I would say the only difference between tru and Alf in tackling is Alf is aggressive. Tru is more sure. He doesn’t miss as many tackles as Alf because he’s not as aggressive. But even that depends. Tru definitely is a good tackler. 

Tru is a professional.  He plays his assignment and assumes the other 10 players are doing the same