ATLBrave

Braves @ Twins

579 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, jidady said:

Folks, I understand that tensions can get high. Let's just be realistic here.

During this series, the bullpen allowed 10 runs in nine innings plus four inherited runners. Yes, that's 14 total runs in nine innings, 10 of which were totally their fault.

When the starters or the bullpen get shredded like that, it bears discussion. 

Exactly! And I'm not giving up hope. I just think our bullpen has to get better to beat the Dodgers. That's who we should compare ourselves to. Great point

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

And I totally get that perspective. It all counts, though. Every one of those runs matters, mop-up duty or not. Something's seriously wrong with our bullpen right now. It has been for a while. Thankfully, we're scoring so much that it's not hurting us much.

I just watched my wife's Cardinals blow a lead to the Dodgers in the 9th. Then, I watched PTI talk about the Cubs' bullpen being a disaster. It might be time to re-evaluate this strategy of pulling starters so early. The cure might not be any better than the disease.

I think that take is a good one. The bullpen era was short lived and over IMO. You cant pull your SP out after 5 and rely on your bullpen to win the game. That's just not going to work anymore unless you have a very special set of arms out there. SPs are going to have start covering 7 innings again. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Dawggone said:

Seems most people are on extreme sides of spectrum. Our bullpen has been poor and awful during stretches that is a true statement. Poor bp performance across the league is also a true statement. Our bp matches up closely tp many post season contenders. AA did an outstanding job getting bp help. That is a true statement. Saying solely money prevented us from getting proper bp personnel this trade deadline is oatently false. You are rightly concerned and even frustrated. But some of these things arent mutually exclusive 

I mean, like I said earlier today, we basically fired an entire bullpen earlier in the year like I saw people crying for. Because of how poorly the planned pen went, the pen badly needed quantity of good not great pitchers and not an elite guy. One of the truly best guys became unavailable because the Giants stupidly didn't fully sell as well.

Yes, that goes back to blaming Anthopolous for playing paddy cake in the offseason, but the only good pen guys that were free agents last offseason this year have been.... Ottavino and Britton? And the only miss maaaybbbbeeeee was Britton here but the FIP, K/9, and BB/9 are all unexciting and look like another good not great reliever. Ottavino was always going to be pinstripes bound unless you dropped a huge and stupid contract for him.

So, lets say you do sign Britton. You're still not in the most ideal spot and have to essentially grab 4 relievers and still make Newcomb a reliever for a good portion of the year (which while he sucked last night, it's worked).

Also, to boot, maybe we should also figure out that Josh Tomlin won't be on any postseason roster without a disaster happening? So, what happened today truly wouldn't translate over to October outside of the possibility of Luke allowing inherited runners to score. That's it.

Edited by VoiceofReason95
Dawggone likes this

4 hours ago, sdogg said:

Ugh, less than 6 again for our SP's. They must love putting the game in the hands of our scrub BP. 

You're gonna run up a high pitch count when you strike out 10 batters.

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

I'm thinking about the Dodgers starting pitching too though. Our bullpen has to get a lot better before the playoffs imo

Their starting staff is impressive I agree. Both BPs need improvement.

23 minutes ago, Williamb said:

The last 3 games, our starters could hang with almost anyone.

The starters as a whole for the last several games have been good.

If Folty can stay within himself and give the braves what he gave them yesterday then that that is going to along way for the Braves.

1 hour ago, Dawggone said:

Their starting staff is impressive I agree. Both BPs need improvement.

I just want ours to get better lol. Hope the Dodgers falls off the cliff

sdogg likes this

36 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

The starters I'm not worried about really. Kuechly,Soroka,Julio,Fried, will be a tough matchup in a playoff series.

Nah you just wait on the pen. Greene, Martin, Swarzak, Melancon, Newk, and Webb are bout to go on a tear never seen before. Luke and Blevins will be ight too, but this bullpen is about to be crazy!!!!!

TheTrue7 likes this

10 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Nah you just wait on the pen. Greene, Martin, Swarzak, Melancon, Newk, and Webb are bout to go on a tear never seen before. Luke and Blevins will be ight too, but this bullpen is about to be crazy!!!!!

I would love that and hopefully you're right

jidady and ATL Fan in the DMV like this

4 hours ago, Malachore said:

28-3

2012 NFCCG

1 World Series 

World Series lost with 2-0 lead

Huge choke job in 2009 (?)

I wonder why we have trust issues.

UGA blows 20-7 lead in NC vs Alabama...12 months later blows 14 point lead in SECCG vs Alabama.  They also blew the 2012 SECCG vs Alabama up 10 points.

sdogg and Malachore like this

11 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I would love that and hopefully you're right

Hey I hope so too man. Fortunately I doubt we see Tomlin in many situations like that in the playoffs if we see him at all. I think Newk's last appearance was just an anomaly. That's not his norm. The Twins also have a very good lineup. 

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind either the Yankees or Twins if we did make the WS (don't wanna jinx it). Neither team is that good on the pitching front. We may have issues, but we could score at will against those guys I would think. The Astros are BY FAR the scariest team in the AL, but you didn't need me to tell you that. 

29 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

hope so but dont see it

tl;dr and Malachore like this

9 hours ago, Malachore said:

Are you serious right now?

You can't be serious. You are literally the definition of what you describe. I tried I really did but I never should have taken you off ignore smh.

The funny part of all this about you 2 are yall are pretty much a different side of the same coin lol.  Both have completely different opinions but both act exactly the same way to each other to go about those differing opinions.  Thats why yall don't get along well at all usually is because yall are almost identical in the way yall go about things and to alot of us it can be a little bit annoying but also pretty funny at the same time lol. But either way we still love both of ya and the site wouldn't be the same without either.

Among the NL East contenders the Braves have the easiest schedule remaining. Phillies have dropped to 8 back and have the toughest schedule. Mets are next with the Nats following closely behind. All 3 of those have a combined opponent winning percentage of over .500. The Braves remaining opponents are .490. After LA next weekend the Braves only have the White Sox, Royals, Jays (twice) and Giants as their non division opponents. 

Drew4719 and sdogg like this

12 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

UGA blows 20-7 lead in NC vs Alabama...12 months later blows 14 point lead in SECCG vs Alabama.  They also blew the 2012 SECCG vs Alabama up 10 points.

Yeah those 3 sucked and I was super convinced Alabama was losing every one of them until the final play. 

I'll be fairly surprised if Georgia doesn't get Alabama here soon though. 2020 is going to be as close to a rebuild year as we have seen in the Saban era. Lose at least 2 starting WR's (maybe all 3), starting QB, starting RB, 2/3 starting OL, entire starting LB group, likely both starting S's, 2 of the top 4 CB's, and a good DL. There is a TON of talent behind all of those guys, but losing that much in one year can be hard to overcome. I'll be surprised if Georgia doesn't win a title here in the next couple of years. 

sdogg likes this

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Yeah those 3 sucked and I was super convinced Alabama was losing every one of them until the final play. 

I'll be fairly surprised if Georgia doesn't get Alabama here soon though. 2020 is going to be as close to a rebuild year as we have seen in the Saban era. Lose at least 2 starting WR's (maybe all 3), starting QB, starting RB, 2/3 starting OL, entire starting LB group, likely both starting S's, 2 of the top 4 CB's, and a good DL. There is a TON of talent behind all of those guys, but losing that much in one year can be hard to overcome. I'll be surprised if Georgia doesn't win a title here in the next couple of years. 

It would be sweet to beat them in the SECC and then again in 2020 in Bama. 

32 minutes ago, sdogg said:

It would be sweet to beat them in the SECC and then again in 2020 in Bama. 

Hope not... but I'm an Alabama grad so yeah...

sdogg likes this

Jeremy Walker recalled as the move to replace Riley. Still no official announcement on the severity of the injury. 

9 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Braves are saying a sprained knee for Riley.

That's pretty vague which is why they said it. Technically a torn ACL is considered a sprain. Hopefully it's a Grade 1 and not 2 or 3