Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oztin

Kevin gausman waived by Braves

26 posts in this topic

Good Riddance... Thanks for being a great addition last year, and go **** yourself for how terribly ****** you were this year - but best of luck to ya Gausman unless we're playing you, in which case you'll look like Cy Young-incarnate b/c Georgia sports.

Malachore likes this

DOB points out that Gausman would have been non-tendered in the winter anyway. With a crowded roster and nowhere to use him might as well send him packing now. Also saves money as the Reds will take on what's left of his $9M salary.

1 minute ago, 007dawg said:

Hey Folty! Produce or "you're next!"

I think we're ride or die with Folty until September at least. Hes been about as good as Wright and Wilson.

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, jidady said:

Yeah, we'll keep Folty to try and trade him this offseason.

There's an EXCELLENT chance, based on how others have performed (or not performed), that Folty puts on a Braves uniform again for next year, so I'd mentally prepare yourself for that, since you've been one of the guys that poop on him for body language and being emotional.

Trade him, and based on how pitcher's can go, you're an injury, then underperformance away from the rotation looking like:

Soroka
Anderson (too early for him then)
Wilson
Wright
Davidson

And I think the Braves have 0 interest in repeating what happened this spring that led to two rookies starting in a hyped out Philadelphia environment. So, sorry to break the news, but unless they get good value out of trading him, Mike Foltynewicz has about a 90% chance of being an Atlanta Brave next year again. They'll bring him back, then sign a guy (maybe Keuchel or someone else), and likely go:

Soroka
Fried
Acquisition
Teheran
Foltynewicz

THEN, if Folty's eMOTiOnS get to him, then Teheran's peripherals catch up to him and he has to be removed as well, simply bringing both back gives guys like Anderson, Davidson, etc more time than "we need you IMMEDIATELY" because of this and that.

Edited by VoiceofReason95

25 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

There's an EXCELLENT chance, based on how others have performed (or not performed), that Folty puts on a Braves uniform again for next year

Since he's under contract next year, there's certainly a chance. Since he's due a raise that will take him in the $8-$11 million range, it's not an EXCELLENT chance, though. As you just noted, we have similar options that are much cheaper.

34 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

There's an EXCELLENT chance, based on how others have performed (or not performed), that Folty puts on a Braves uniform again for next year, so I'd mentally prepare yourself for that, since you've been one of the guys that poop on him for body language and being emotional.

Trade him, and based on how pitcher's can go, you're an injury, then underperformance away from the rotation looking like:

Soroka
Wilson
Wright
Davidson

And I think the Braves have 0 interest in repeating what happened this spring that led to two rookies starting in a hyped out Philadelphia environment. So, sorry to break the news, but unless they get good value out of trading him, Mike Foltynewicz has about a 90% chance of being an Atlanta Brave next year again. They'll bring him back, then sign a guy (maybe Keuchel or someone else), and likely go:

Soroka
Fried
Acquisition
Teheran
Foltynewicz

THEN, if Folty's eMOTiOnS get to him, then Teheran's peripherals catch up to him and he has to be removed as well, simply bringing both back gives guys like Anderson, Davidson, etc more time than "we need you IMMEDIATELY" because of this and that.

Id say there is a good chance we will sign Keuchel to another contract at the end of the year, until our young guys are ready

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, jidady said:

Since he's under contract next year, there's certainly a chance. Since he's due a raise that will take him in the $8-$11 million range, it's not an EXCELLENT chance, though. As you just noted, we have similar options that are much cheaper.

But the cheaper options I noted, the Braves might not declare them to be major league ready, and have what happened in the spring and opening series still fresh in memory and not want to repeat it, leading them to keep all of the depth. That's why I think the odds are very high they choose to put up with Folty until at least July 2020. Only way he's NOT on next year's team, is if they can add him to a deal for a stud young major league player (like what Haniger would've been or Realmuto before the Phillies got him). That's the only way. Otherwise? Say hello to Mike Foltynewicz, Atlanta Brave in 2020.

8 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Id say there is a good chance we will sign Keuchel to another contract at the end of the year, until our young guys are ready

They might well do that and simply have no acquisition made and go:

Soroka/Keuchel/Teheran/Fried/Folty

until something happens as far as I care, we need to be pencilling Folty into the 2020 rotation.

Edited by VoiceofReason95
gtech1 likes this

Here are the free agent for 2020

Chase Anderson (33) – $9.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jake Arrieta (35)
Trevor Bauer (30)
Chad Bettis (32)
Tyler Chatwood (31)
Anthony DeSclafani (31)
Robbie Erlin (30)
Michael Fiers (36)
Kevin Gausman (30)
J.A. Happ (38) – $17MM vesting option
Nate Karns (32)
Merrill Kelly (32) – $4.25MM club option with a $500K buyout
Mike Leake (33) – $18MM mutual option with a $5MM buyout
Jon Lester (37) – $25MM mutual/vesting option with a $10MM buyout
Mike Minor (33)
Charlie Morton (37) – $15MM vesting option
Jimmy Nelson (31)
James Paxton (32)
Robbie Ray (29)
Garrett Richards (33)
Jeff Samardzija (36)
Aaron Sanchez (28)
Anibal Sanchez (37) – $12MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Dan Straily (32)
Stephen Strasburg (32) – can opt out of remaining three years, $75MM
Marcus Stroman (30)
Masahiro Tanaka (32)
Taijuan Walker (28)
Steven Wright (36)
Jordan Zimmermann (35)

2 hours ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Soroka
Wilson
Wright
Davidson

Soroka
Fried
Acquisition
Teheran
Foltynewicz

How about something like this:   Gerrit Cole, Soroka, Fried, Folty, Ian Anderson?      

Anthopolous said he discussed using Gausman in the bullpen but didnt have anyone he was comfortable replacing in the bullpen. Newcomb is the only one that has options left.

3 hours ago, oztin said:

Here are the free agent for 2020

Chase Anderson (33) – $9.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jake Arrieta (35)
Trevor Bauer (30)
Chad Bettis (32)
Tyler Chatwood (31)
Anthony DeSclafani (31)
Robbie Erlin (30)
Michael Fiers (36)
Kevin Gausman (30)
J.A. Happ (38) – $17MM vesting option
Nate Karns (32)
Merrill Kelly (32) – $4.25MM club option with a $500K buyout
Mike Leake (33) – $18MM mutual option with a $5MM buyout
Jon Lester (37) – $25MM mutual/vesting option with a $10MM buyout
Mike Minor (33)
Charlie Morton (37) – $15MM vesting option
Jimmy Nelson (31)
James Paxton (32)
Robbie Ray (29)
Garrett Richards (33)
Jeff Samardzija (36)
Aaron Sanchez (28)
Anibal Sanchez (37) – $12MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Dan Straily (32)
Stephen Strasburg (32) – can opt out of remaining three years, $75MM
Marcus Stroman (30)
Masahiro Tanaka (32)
Taijuan Walker (28)
Steven Wright (36)
Jordan Zimmermann (35)

aroldis chapman will probably decline his option with the Yanks. I would kick the tires on him. I know I'm probably alone but it's time we get a lock down closer

11 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

aroldis chapman will probably decline his option with the Yanks. I would kick the tires on him. I know I'm probably alone but it's time we get a lock down closer

Word is Chapman has zero desire to leave the Yankees. Just wants to rework his deal.

youngbloodz likes this

5 minutes ago, dmite said:

Thought they’d use him for throwing BP. 

They declined when they knew he was going to give up too many runs.  

14 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

No domestic abusers, please.

jidady, tl;dr and youngbloodz like this