Falcons' Kaleb McGary: Could still play Week 1

Head coach Dan Quinn did not rule out the possibility of McGary (chest) returning for Atlanta's Week 1 game against the Vikings, Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com reports. "The good news is by no means is this a redshirt year," Quinn said in reference to McGary undergoing a cardiac ablation procedure Wednesday. "As far as when the opener is (Sept. 8), it's too early to tell."

McGary was forced to leave Tuesday's practice session with what was perceived at the time to be an illness, but less than 24 hours later was scheduled to undergo "a minimally-invasive" heart procedure -- likely solving the mystery to his sudden exit from the field. The 24-year-old offensive tackle has reportedly undergone similar surgeries on two prior occasions, and tweeted out from his personal account Friday that the procedure was a success. In past instances of the surgery, McGary has been forced to sit out six-to-eight weeks, per ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Personally I was expecting week 2-3 for his return based off pervious time to recover from when he had the procedure in college. Maybe this will calm some people down. 

23 minutes ago, stingbee said:

People overreact on these boards for many reasons, but the reality is that it is not a big deal. He should be ready by September and by Week 1 or Week 2.

Yep, his heart was having issues keeping rhythm.. He had a procedure to reset his hearts rhythm.. Idk why people seem to believe he'll be out an extended period of time.. He could probably practice this week tbh

3 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Yep, his heart was having issues keeping rhythm.. He had a procedure to reset his hearts rhythm.. Idk why people seem to believe he'll be out an extended period of time.. He could probably practice this week tbh

He can’t if he is taking blood thinners.

THAT is the issue.

Depending on the extent of the ablation; how many areas were treated this time, can impact how long thinners are required.

One of my good friends is a Broncos doc. I asked him to get the scoop on McGary while they were in Canton. Here's what's he said...

"Hey bro! He’ll probably be eased back in over a couple weeks. If his cardiologist is extra cautious it might take 4 weeks. If he’s aggressive it might only be 7-10 days. Pretty common. Seems like the league has one every year!"

Edited by Since1990

1 hour ago, droopy1592 said:

He can still train and practice technique, he just can’t risk major contact.  

Yeah, I was mostly responding to the idea of normal practice without restrictions, etc.

My post could’ve been clearer as I agree it doesn’t seem to be a longterm thing.

10 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

He can’t if he is taking blood thinners.

THAT is the issue.

Depending on the extent of the ablation; how many areas were treated this time, can impact how long thinners are required.

This! Someone posted a really good article describing in depth what happens during this procedure. Very reassuring to read. The problem is the Blood thinners because the danger of taking a really hard hit and causing internal bleeding during that period.

I am sure physically he could be ready to go and at some point this season will get hos PT and even start.

That being said I hope we get to see the "starting" OL at least a little bit this week

I think the truth is in the middle.  It is a big deal but it isn't catastrophic or a bad pick whatever yet.  It's just a reminder that he carries an additional random element that could limit both his growth and career.  I was not a big fan of the pick initially but I think once he gets on the field and coached up, he has the tools to be that guy for us.

I remember when it came out Jason Snelling had epilepsy that people over-reacted. These guys have played sports at a high level ( NCAA ) with these conditions and somehow done it well enough to be drafted by an NFL team. That tells me they can produce with these medical limiters. It's certainly not optimal, but it's not worth freaking out over one way or the other.

If a man can play MLB with one hand so much is possible in today's medical environment. Here's hoping the young man has a long and healthy life even if he never plays a down for us.

Edited by Geneaut

8 hours ago, Since1990 said:

One of my good friends is a Broncos doc. I asked him to get the scoop on McGary while they were in Canton. Here's what's he said...

"Hey bro! He’ll probably be eased back in over a couple weeks. If his cardiologist is extra cautious it might take 4 weeks. If he’s aggressive it might only be 7-10 days. Pretty common. Seems like the league has one every year!"

Two weeks or 7-10 days actually gets him into a couple of preseason games. Be LMAO at all the nattering nabobs of negativism who thought his career was over or that he wouldn't see the field this year.