Put a fence, neighbor attached. Now they won’t pay half for the attached side

lostone

So I put up my fence a few months ago.  Didn’t think anything of it.  My neighbor asked me if he could attach to my fence.  I said cool, just give me half for this side of the fence and we are good.  They put up the fence and attach to mine.  I wait a few weeks, no ask to pay.  

I go over and the couple act like they never asked to attach and I had to talk to their son.  I talked to the son today and he makes up some BS about me being on the property line and I have to be 2 feet back.  He says I am on the line not behind it.  Anyway I read the bylaws and he made up that ish.  

So I am about to be petty and push back my fence 1.5 feet so that they have to buy that side of the fence.  I’ll come off 500 for it.  It’s annoying, but it has to be done.  I am trying to be nice, but it looks like I have to be an arsehole now.

16 minutes ago, lostone said:

So I put up my fence a few months ago.  Didn’t think anything of it.  My neighbor asked me if he could attach to my fence.  I said cool, just give me half for this side of the fence and we are good.  They put up the fence and attach to mine.  I wait a few weeks, no ask to pay.  

I go over and the couple act like they never asked to attach and I had to talk to their son.  I talked to the son today and he makes up some BS about me being on the property line and I have to be 2 feet back.  He says I am on the line not behind it.  Anyway I read the bylaws and he made up that ish.  

So I am about to be petty and push back my fence 1.5 feet so that they have to buy that side of the fence.  I’ll come off 500 for it.  It’s annoying, but it has to be done.  I am trying to be nice, but it looks like I have to be an arsehole now.

Do it..... don't worry about being an azzhole.

2 hours ago, lostone said:

How old is the son here?

7 hours ago, shc said:

I get where you are coming from, but you didn’t ask/want half before you put the fence up, right?  

If they were going to attach to the fence, yes I wanted half for that side.  It’s been installed according to the HOA guidelines.  They would have to pay over 1k for that side to be installed.

Yeah, I would move your fence back and make them have to come out of pocket for their assholery.

I have a neighbor who allowed us to attach to theirs for free. The only issue that I had with them is the guy rushed to put his fence up before we moved in. However (stupidly for him) put his fence over the easement where the water runoff drains between our properties and now he has water constantly eroding the bottom of his fence.

1 hour ago, Statick said:

Yeah, I would move your fence back and make them have to come out of pocket for their assholery.

I have a neighbor who allowed us to attach to theirs for free. The only issue that I had with them is the guy rushed to put his fence up before we moved in. However (stupidly for him) put his fence over the easement where the water runoff drains between our properties and now he has water constantly eroding the bottom of his fence.

I am so easy to get along with and I am fair.  It really bothers me when people take advantage of that.  I would have gladly given them half the cost if we had roles reversed.  Much cheaper than paying for $1k fence.  Oh well

1 hour ago, Andrews_31 said:

Are you ok??  That is the second time in less than a week you've used that word to describe your actions.

I’m pissed more that I have to behave this way because someone is taking advantage of me being nice.  It’s less petty and more me just wanting them to pay full price if they are going to behave like this.  (Some won’t get this next statement). It hurts worse because it’s my own people treating me like this.  They should be setting an example and they are out here pulling this mess.

2 minutes ago, lostone said:

I’m pissed more that I have to behave this way because someone is taking advantage of me being nice.  It’s less petty and more me just wanting them to pay full price if they are going to behave like this.  (Some won’t get this next statement). It hurts worse because it’s my own people treating me like this.  They should be setting an example and they are out here pulling this mess.

Now I understand.  It's always "us" doing that to each other!  

7 hours ago, lostone said:

If they were going to attach to the fence, yes I wanted half for that side.  It’s been installed according to the HOA guidelines.  They would have to pay over 1k for that side to be installed.

I get it.  But it wasn't like you weren't going to do the fence unless they paid half, right?  And if that is the case, I'd let it go.  Especially if the parents(who I assume are at least in their mid 60's if not older) own the house and not the son.