August 2019 UGA Recruiting Thread

SacFalcFan

6 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I’ve been convinced lol. Evans will end up committing to UGA. There’s too many reliable people that are getting good information on him right now for me not jump on board. Also, we are sitting really good with Burch. My bold prediction is we will end up with the consensus  #1 class this year. Go Dawgs 

Do you realize how ******* ridiculous it would be for the Dawgs to have the #1 class in spite of missing on Breese and in-state 5-stars Myles Murphy and Arik Gilbert?

Obviously it hasn’t happened yet and still might not, but just the fact that it seems a realistic possibility now is amazing.

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Do you realize how ******* ridiculous it would be for the Dawgs to have the #1 class in spite of missing on Breese and in-state 5-stars Myles Murphy and Arik Gilbert?

Obviously it hasn’t happened yet and still might not, but just the fact that it seems a realistic possibility now is amazing.

If you’d asked me in July I’d said we were going to be top 3 most likely #2 but this staff is something else when these recruits get on campus. I firmly believe if we get a recruit on campus then we will close that deal 9 times out of 10. 

42 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Chubb/Michel 2.0

and I'm sure that's what they're pitching them too

wouldn't even be surprised if the two of them "just happened" to be able to meet Chubb and Michel together :ninja:

what really helped the Chubb/Michel thing was both of them going withing 5 picks of each other in the draft in 2018.   Dawgs were "this close" to getting two running backs in the first round.    Considering how de-valued the RB position is in the NFL, that is very impressive and those two getting drafted so high only helps Dawgs more in recruiting.

1 hour ago, Bdawg58 said:

If you’d asked me in July I’d said we were going to be top 3 most likely #2 but this staff is something else when these recruits get on campus. I firmly believe if we get a recruit on campus then we will close that deal 9 times out of 10. 

that must have been some dayum good BBQ! :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

TBF, if Zeus ends up becoming what he was expected to be coming out of HS, we could have Gurley/Chubb/Michel

plus Cook, and Mcintosh

Do you worry at all if maybe Zeus has too good of a season this year that it would scare off Evans?  I wouldn't think so as Zamir will probably go to the draft as a Redshirt Sophmore - especially after two ACLs.

19 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Do you worry at all if maybe Zeus has too good of a season this year that it would scare off Evans?  I wouldn't think so as Zamir will probably go to the draft as a Redshirt Sophmore - especially after two ACLs.

Gurley declared

If Zeus has a Heisman season, the pitch would just be that he'd probably declare after their freshman season

They're already pitching these kids that Swift is gone after this season

10 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Yep Swift will be gone and so too Herrien. 

2020 Leaves maybe Zeus Cook and McIntosh and 2 true freshmen. 

Then possible for both Zeus and Cook to be gone 

2021 leaves the 2 2020 RB commits and McIntosh plus whoever comes in as true freshman for that year. Probably 2 more. 

So what I'm hearing is we can take all the RB's, wooooooo!!!

1 hour ago, 95Dawg said:

Yep Swift will be gone and so too Herrien. 

2020 Leaves maybe Zeus Cook and McIntosh and 2 true freshmen. 

Then possible for both Zeus and Cook to be gone 

2021 leaves the 2 2020 RB commits and McIntosh plus whoever comes in as true freshman for that year. Probably 2 more. 

assumes we keep everyone - I think w/ teams like UGA, Bama, Clemson and Ohio State that just stack talent on top of talent - we will see more of these elite recruiting teams start losing 2-3 players a year at some point to the portal.  I know it has already started but everyone still figuring it out now.

With players wanting to get in the league, they know they need at least two years as starter - some will self-realize they just aren't starter material but high 4-star and 5-stars that don't see the field halfway into their sophmore years - some percentage of those guys are gonna bolt.   #hopeiamwrong

41 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

SoFL has made a good point about Evans. Treat this like we are up at halftime, but there is still a lot of game left to play. 

We lead for Evans right now, but we have to keep up the pressure and this could turn into a "fun" recruitment like Emory last year. 

I don't think anything was "fun" about the Emory recruitment, unless you enjoy a swift kick to the nads. 

6 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I don't think anything was "fun" about the Emory recruitment, unless you enjoy a swift kick to the nads. 

You misunderstand. "Fun" in recruiting lingo means the recruit is exhibiting one or more of the following: 

having too much fun with the process,

telling multiple schools what they want to hear,

changing his mind frequently

Jerking schools around

Basically, playing the recruiting game. The anti-Dom Blaylock, if you will. 

I do think there are a few key differences here from the Emery recruitment.

Everyone was shocked when Emery committed suddenly to us. Up until that one visit, everyone was saying the kid was all LSU. I actually worried a bit immediately after about it being too much of a visit high. We really weren't leading for any top RB recruits that cycle, and then bam, out of nowhere, we're not only Emery's top school but he commits.

I've never seen any real evidence that Evans was/has been leaning toward any one particular school. He's taken a lot of visits, and a number of school's "insiders" have tried to suggest that they lead, but I don't recall seeing anything posted that gave any legitimacy to him having a leader.

That it took multiple visits, he didn't commit right away after the visit, and that it has been a struggle all the way to get to this point (instead of just going from essentially zero to 100 in the blink of an eye), gives me a little confidence that if it happens, it's more of thought out decision that he'll be sticking with.

4 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

Chubb/Michel 2.0

and I'm sure that's what they're pitching them too

wouldn't even be surprised if the two of them "just happened" to be able to meet Chubb and Michel together :ninja:

Former dawgs are really loyal to UGA. They go out of their way and busy schedule to help their college. Love seeing this and I’m sure it exist elsewhere. Just seems like it is really tight knit fellowship.

Wowowowow!!!

SoFL_Dawg

6:59AM

Alright so @JeffSentell already warmed this up...so obviously I asked. Hot off my phone, Elias Ricks and UGA has a lot of traction to it. It is not expected that he will stick with LSU and there have been ongoing communications for some time. Dell is involved in this one as well and Milton has been recruiting hard (I’m all in on Milton). I asked our chances: “70/30 UGA”. This is fresh brand new news to me, I’m waiting on what this means on numbers (BPA), I don’t know yet. I’ll put a mock up today heading into the season as update and heat checks on other players.

Sometimes you just have to say dayum!

12 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Wowowowow!!!

SoFL_Dawg

Alright so @JeffSentell already warmed this up...so obviously I asked. Hot off my phone, Elias Ricks and UGA has a lot of traction to it. It is not expected that he will stick with LSU and there have been ongoing communications for some time. Dell is involved in this one as well and Milton has been recruiting hard (I’m all in on Milton). I asked our chances: “70/30 UGA”. This is fresh brand new news to me, I’m waiting on what this means on numbers (BPA), I don’t know yet. I’ll put a mock up today heading into the season as update and heat checks on other players.

Interesting.  That's not a name I had heard before,  I think i read where sofl dawg also said we aren't pursing williams very hard.

30 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Wowowowow!!!

SoFL_Dawg

The UGA angle is new, but Ricks not being happy with LSU has been in the rumor mill for a few months now.. He has been talking to other staffs and other recruits.  If we can get him that would be amazing, but I would always worry about LSU when it came to signing his LOI. However if we can snag him OMG what a pickup that would be. 

21 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Interesting.  That's not a name I had heard before,  I think i read where sofl dawg also said we aren't pursing williams very hard.

So the Avantae Williams chatter had died down over the last several weeks for a couple of reasons. 1) He doesn't seem to want to end his recruitment and the staff is trying to lock stuff down, 2) his kid situation has led many to believe that he'll end up closer to home even that Athens... 

The Ricks thing is news, and even SoFL just a day or two ago was saying he didn't believe there was anything to it (or that he hadn't heard anything yet at least). This is brand new buzz, other than Sentell who hinted/teased out the name either end of last week or on Monday. Sentell is known for dropping red herring buzz sometimes if he hears anything remotely good about a recruit, so I think most just shrugged it off...

On the safety front, there's more buzz/traction to us pushing for Nadab Joseph to free up the spot in this year's class... I had been led to believe Alabama held a lead here, but it sounds like we're right there at the top with him now. That would be a huge grab to save room in this year's class, and he should theoretically be more physically ready than some of the true freshman targets.

4 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

The UGA angle is new, but Ricks not being happy with LSU has been in the rumor mill for a few months now.. He has been talking to other staffs and other recruits.  If we can get him that would be amazing, but I would always worry about LSU when it came to signing his LOI. However if we can snag him OMG what a pickup that would be. 

Any idea what the issue is there? I know I saw Kelvin Joseph pop up in the transfer portal a couple of times, so curious if it's strife in the DB room or something else.