August 2019 UGA Recruiting Thread

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scrimmage Notes: Injuries: Swift and Justin Young were dressed out and running on the sidelines all of practice. Nakobe Dean was also dressed out but didn't participate nor did he run on the side

Zachary Evans has just been Fonged to the Dawgs

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

washington wants to play with Theo bad.. at one point it was felt Theo would end up at Michigan..  Theo and Washington have really bonded and I hope that helps us..  

I'd be totally fine with that. Arik is a stud, but I like Washington's fit as a TE for us more, and Theo is a good combo between the two with a high ceiling.

7 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

I'd be totally fine with that. Arik is a stud, but I like Washington's fit as a TE for us more, and Theo is a good combo between the two with a high ceiling.

amazing the twists and turns of recruiting.   A month ago we all thought GILBERT was a lock for UGA and Washington was more of a longer shot w/o being impossible - now it could flip.

5 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

I remember Cox getting in the face of D.Walker in a game last year. Appeared he didn't have any respect for his upperclassman.

Yes, I was at that game.   Those things should never happen - especially in a game.  Walker had earned his respect as a player and somewhat of a leader.   

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

amazing the twists and turns of recruiting.   A month ago we all thought GILBERT was a lock for UGA and Washington was more of a longer shot w/o being impossible - now it could flip.

From what I understand we lead for both Gilbert and Washington individually. But there is some uncertainty whether they want to play together. Obviously Washington seems ok with it, which means the uncertainty falls on Gilbert's shoulders. That may be why Washington is focusing on Theo instead of Gilbert. 

Looks like.Gilbert might not want to share the spotlight, just wants to be the man. But this is recruiting, we know how quickly narratives can change. 

25 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

From what I understand we lead for both Gilbert and Washington individually. But there is some uncertainty whether they want to play together. Obviously Washington seems ok with it, which means the uncertainty falls on Gilbert's shoulders. That may be why Washington is focusing on Theo instead of Gilbert. 

Looks like.Gilbert might not want to share the spotlight, just wants to be the man. But this is recruiting, we know how quickly narratives can change. 

As today's news is evidence, we have neither the time, nor the inclination to deal with divas who are about "me first" for very long. Not saying Arik is, because I don't know the kid, but *if* he's concerned with catch volumes and usage along with splitting time with another talented TE, sounds like looking elsewhere might end up being the better choice. Still want him if he's committed and focused on team goals, but I 1) understand wanting to look out for yourself and having legitimate questions about utilization and 2) if competition isn't your thing, Athens isn't for you.

7 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

As today's news is evidence, we have neither the time, nor the inclination to deal with divas who are about "me first" for very long. Not saying Arik is, because I don't know the kid, but *if* he's concerned with catch volumes and usage along with splitting time with another talented TE, sounds like looking elsewhere might end up being the better choice. Still want him if he's committed and focused on team goals, but I 1) understand wanting to look out for yourself and having legitimate questions about utilization and 2) if competition isn't your thing, Athens isn't for you.

Spot on! UGA no longer is going to be handcuffed by players. We have the depth and it’s a privilege to play here. 

So with Cox gone, that should open up an extra spot in the recruiting class (assuming that doesn't put us over 25,and that the 24 limit isn't repealed). Who do you think we go after as a result? Is it too late for Smalls? BJ Ojulari? Was Zykevious Walker already a take or do we add him with this new spot? Do we use it on another position instead?

3 hours ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Would Washington be as good- better than Gilbert? 

Washington is the more physical of the 3 TEs. He's a better blocker on day 1 easily. His receiving skills are probably on par or very close to Gilbert... great catch radius, huge physical mismatch. His route running is not as developed at this stage. Gilbert is seen as the most "college ready" receiving TE. Washington probably the most "college ready" blocking TE.
This is just personal opinion that I've held for a while (prior to the current - who's likely to end up where) based on what I've seen, Washington seems like possibly a more direct fit for what UGA wants a TE to do... line up and go block and act as a mismatch receiving target in redzone/endzone scenarios. Gilbert more like Woerner year 1 - Flex End/WR... super athletic! BUT... the difference is that in year 1 for Woerner, who was he competing with for snaps at Flex/WR? Jayson Stanley and Michael Chigbu? The WR room has improved so much, that I feel like we need TEs who are committed and dedicated to functioning as TEs... or at least our priority at the position should be that. If we can pickup Washington as the pure-play TE, and Gilbert as the flex, all the more bonus, but I'd be totally fine with DW and Theo Johnson if that's the way it shakes out. My only concern has been taking a second TE just for the sake of doing so and having it be Cam Large. I just don't think he'd be worth the spot based on what I've seen personally.

1 minute ago, Ricky Fontaine said:

So with Cox gone, that should open up an extra spot in the recruiting class (assuming that doesn't put us over 25,and that the 24 limit isn't repealed). Who do you think we go after as a result? Is it too late for Smalls? BJ Ojulari? Was Zykevious Walker already a take or do we add him with this new spot? Do we use it on another position instead?

We've never had an issue with the 85 and Cox doesn't change the loose 25 guideline. Shouldn't change numbers on targets... 

Between Burch (hybrid OLB/DE for us early in all likelihood) and Z. Walker (same?), staff probably doesn't need to adjust who we're targeting primary here... If we have to pivot on any other recruits, it's possible that a BPA slot might get shifted this direction, but it's a deep room still.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Fontaine said:

The 25 limit rule has nothing to do with the 85 scholarship limit, which is dumb. I continue to hear we only have room for 23 unless Joseph signs again then we can get to 24. That said, Kirby will sign as many kids as he can 

From SoFL_Dawg:

I can neither confirm or deny that anyone is a silent commit.

That said, I love where we are with Washington. I’m starting to only like where we are with Gilbert. I’ve heard we have work to do on Johnson but I’ve read from others that we’re in a good place there. As of now, I don’t believe Gilbert and Washington will play together but I’ve been told there’s still a chance once games start.

All of them will be watching to see what our current TEs will be doing in the offense during first 4 games. By then, I’d expect the TE picture to be public and over.

AND:

I’m very confident on Dexter right now. Can’t say anymore than that.

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

From SoFL_Dawg:

I can neither confirm or deny that anyone is a silent commit.

That said, I love where we are with Washington. I’m starting to only like where we are with Gilbert. I’ve heard we have work to do on Johnson but I’ve read from others that we’re in a good place there. As of now, I don’t believe Gilbert and Washington will play together but I’ve been told there’s still a chance once games start.

All of them will be watching to see what our current TEs will be doing in the offense during first 4 games. By then, I’d expect the TE picture to be public and over.

AND:

I’m very confident on Dexter right now. Can’t say anymore than that.

You're welcome for the question that set that up. :lol: 

50 minutes ago, Reeves said:

Any chatter on how recruiting changes in response to Cox leaving for this years class?

Sounds like we need another 250lb+ guy like Jermaine Johnson, especially because he’s here two years max.

Nothing significant to this point... The only thing it likely does is possibly lift Z. Walker off (or similar) of the "last man in" spot... now inheriting that spot would likely either be a 3rd DB (Safety) or 4th WR (Smith/Wren)... Still could do all of those things, but it just kinda depends on the numbers.

From Sentell:

Corey Wren: When he camped at the cookout, several pretty fast commits saw him and said "Now that dude is fast" when he cut that top gear loose.

BJ Ojulari: Wants to do his own thing. Still think he's elsewhere even with room.

Jared Zirkel: This "blueshirt" stuff would be a surprise to me.

Gilbert AND Washington: Still don't see that happening. Stance hasn't changed since mid-May.

Mekhail Sherman: Not cleared yet. Big date coming up. Will have an update soon.

Dexter: Do feel that Florida's season plays a big part here.

Z. Walker: Believe Cox does open things up more for him now.

Sewell: Been writing about this guy for awhile now. Very legit shot. Never mean to lean any of you good folks astray.

RB spot: Don't think that's going to be an issue for the 2020 class regardless of the Friday news event.

2021 class: Do expect some movement this month here.

Paywall content snapshots: Don't be that guy.

Marcus Rosemy: Seems like the most under-the-radar dude in the 2020 class right now.

Carson Beck: Big believer in Yoga. We all should try it.

Theo Johnson: Pretty sure he's feeeling the ❤️these days.

Jordan Burch: That Brenton Cox news sure does thin out the depth chart at the 260-pounds and up DE spot.