SacFalcFan

August 2019 UGA Recruiting Thread

623 posts in this topic

Where do we sit with 2021 QB Caleb Williams?

I thought a month ago we were sitting in catbird seat and that a commitment was imminent (the new fav UGA word).

Then I see BA and Sentell discuss and seemed we might not be so imminent after all.

Anyone?

2 hours ago, LawDawg said:

Come on down, Arik. There's enough to go around. :D

Lol he gone

Gilbert is buying the hype that other schools (Bama and UTjr) is selling him. They are selling him at WR knowing they will ultimately move him to TE. I want Gilbert but like I’ve said not as a WR.

The good news is that Washington will be committing soon and it’s looking good with T. Johnson. 

Wardog357 and 95Dawg like this

1 hour ago, Bdawg58 said:

Gilbert is buying the hype that other schools (Bama and UTjr) is selling him. They are selling him at WR knowing they will ultimately move him to TE. I want Gilbert but like I’ve said not as a WR.

The good news is that Washington will be committing soon and it’s looking good with T. Johnson. 

Plus he has stated numerous times that he does not want to play on the same team as Washington. So if for no other reason if that’s truly his position, he’s not going to come here. 

1 hour ago, Wardog357 said:

Plus he has stated numerous times that he does not want to play on the same team as Washington. So if for no other reason if that’s truly his position, he’s not going to come here. 

Has he? I've seen people say that he feels that way, but I don't recall ever seeing him quoting as saying that.

Bdawg58 likes this

1 hour ago, VA F.O. said:

Has he? I've seen people say that he feels that way, but I don't recall ever seeing him quoting as saying that.

Okay...... it’s been said by numerous sources that has been identified by sources to be close to the situation. Lol..... so va f.o. .... what’s your take.... yay or nay on the likely hood?

3 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

Okay...... it’s been said by numerous sources that has been identified by sources to be close to the situation. Lol..... so va f.o. .... what’s your take.... yay or nay on the likely hood?

I have no idea. I read posts on the interwebs

I don't know of anyone who is thinking that Gilbert is coming to UGA.  We are in 3rd.  Could that change?  Sure.  Likelihood?  Slim.

8 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

I don't know of anyone who is thinking that Gilbert is coming to UGA.  We are in 3rd.  Could that change?  Sure.  Likelihood?  Slim.

He’s not coming to UGA if his heart is set on being a WR which right now it is. That’s really the only thing that would put us back in this is if he realizes TE is where he will be making his money in NFL

Just now, Bdawg58 said:

That’s really the only thing that would put us back in this is if he realizes TE is where he will be making his money in NFL

I wouldn't hold your breath. 

m2Falcons and Bdawg58 like this

14 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I wouldn't hold your breath. 

I’m not, it’s quite unfortunate too. 

1 hour ago, Bdawg58 said:

He’s not coming to UGA if his heart is set on being a WR which right now it is. That’s really the only thing that would put us back in this is if he realizes TE is where he will be making his money in NFL

It’s really odd that a 17yr old kid who’s 6’5” and 253lbs (and will only get bigger) doesn’t have enough knowledge of the NFL game to know there aren’t any pure WRs in the game at that size.  Even moreso that his advisers and family wouldn’t be telling him the same.

Gilbert does have terrific move skills for a guy his size - he is a tremendous pass catcher in the Travis Kelce mold but he just needs to embrace the other parts of TE.

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

It’s really odd that a 17yr old kid who’s 6’5” and 253lbs (and will only get bigger) doesn’t have enough knowledge of the NFL game to know there aren’t any pure WRs in the game at that size.  Even moreso that his advisers and family wouldn’t be telling him the same.

Gilbert does have terrific move skills for a guy his size - he is a tremendous pass catcher in the Travis Kelce mold but he just needs to embrace the other parts of TE.

Definitely mind boggling. If I were his advisor or parent I’d tell him go to college as a TE and prove that you are a WR while on campus, not the other way around. I hope wherever he goes he does well except for when he plays UGA. 

g-dawg likes this

11 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Definitely mind boggling. If I were his advisor or parent I’d tell him go to college as a TE and prove that you are a WR while on campus, not the other way around. 

Either that, or, go to play wr, but be open to a position switch and don't jump right in the portal when that switch happens.

Bdawg58 likes this

Man....Gilbert could be a Gronk type guy, that's a career any person whether WR or TE should aspire to have.

6 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

Man....Gilbert could be a Gronk type guy, that's a career any person whether WR or TE should aspire to have.

He could be.  But we thought the same of Jay Rome as a HS senior.

Posted (edited)

Kelvin Benjamin was a straight up WR and that dude played at 6'5 250+ for 3 years at Carolina (before he blew up to about 280 and fattied himself out of the league).

And didn't we bring in Charlie Woerner originally as a WR when he was 6'5 230 coming out of HS?  He didn't transition to TE until after a year at WR, if I'm not mistaken.  And, we consistently split our TE's wide outside already anyways several times a game.

So I don't think it should be out of the question to give Gilbert a thumbs up as a WR.  Just line him up all over the place.  Outside, inside, slot... who cares, because he's a mismatch where ever he goes.  We have blocking TE's already.

Can you imagine Washington AND Gilbert on the field at the same time going up against CB's and LB's?  That would be so sick.

This is making me angry, actually.  We should be going after both of these guys with everything we got.  Plus Theo.  Get all 3 of them!

Edited by Beef

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Woerner was recruited as a TE.

Even though UGA was always considered a “lock” to land Woerner due to the family connections, it wasn’t an easy road for the Bulldogs. They first told Woerner that he was being recruited at tight end. He prefers receiver, and UGA made it clear that he could play there when Woerner attended 7-on-7 camp with the Bulldogs last month.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/breaking-charlie-woerner-commits-uga-updated/dDPUymIlgPjYkQ5C8PZs4M/

Just sayin, it's a similar situation with Gilbert that we had with Woerner.

Recruiting sites had him listed as a WR, and that was his personal preferred position per his own words.

https://247sports.com/Player/Charlie-Woerner-31943/high-school-52105/

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

Edited by Beef

Posted (edited)

He was recruited as a TE.  His lead recruiter was Shane Beamer and Lilly before that.

*** Not the same situation at all.  One came in knowing they were going to be a te, period.  And then in Gilbert's case, he is only going to be recruited as a wr.

Edited by Turkeydawg

20 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

He was recruited as a TE.  His lead recruiter was Shane Beamer and Lilly before that.

*** Not the same situation at all.  One came in knowing they were going to be a te, period.  And then in Gilbert's case, he is only going to be recruited as a wr.

I just posted you an AJC article that says they told Woerner he could also play WR too because that was his preferred position.

It's the same situation, or very close to it.

Why are you arguing something that says it plain as day right there in bold?

As an early enrollee, where do you think he played in his first G Day game? 

He was brought in as te, that could possibly flex out.

This is a different situation than Gilbert, because Gilbert only wants to be recruited as a wr.  Woerner understood that his position at UGA was going to be at te, but there might be the option to flex some.

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

As an early enrollee, where do you think he played in his first G Day game? 

He was brought in as te, that could possibly flex out.

This is a different situation than Gilbert, because Gilbert only wants to be recruited as a wr.  Woerner understood that his position at UGA was going to be at te, but there might be the option to flex some.

Woerner = preferred WR, was told he would play both TE and WR.  A clear compromise we made.

Gilbert = prefers WR, could easily be told he could play both WR and TE.  Also a clear compromise we could make.

That's my point.  We compromised for Woerner, we could also compromise for Gilbert.

It's not different.  For some odd reason you're being obnoxiously obtuse.

I post an article where it explicitly says Woerner preferred WR and was told he could also play there and somehow you think this isn't similar to Gilbert.  Just baffling, but whatever.  Move on.

Edited by Beef