SacFalcFan

August 2019 UGA Recruiting Thread

623 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Wiltfong has UGA running 3rd for Gilbert.  Has Bama and Tennessee in the lead.

which matches what we all thought already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

That really is the point.  He is only going to get bigger and at his size now he isn't explosive at wr and he will only get slower and bigger.  I saw the game last night and I saw a very poor defensive backfield for Rome.  I know our staff is playing the game and telling him he can play the wr position but he is really a te.  

Once these high school kids get on the big league campus and see what's what - I believe a shift slowly happens - "How can I get to the league?"

So do you lie to the kid?  Nope

Take Clay Webb for example.  He wants to start his UGA career as a Guard, right?  So that is exactly what  Sam Pittman is letting him do.   If Webb stays on the smallish side as he is now - at some point Center may be his best position.    

While it is a little different because a bigger gap between a TE/WR than a C/OG - there are similiarities there.  Whether he is at UT, UA or UGA - it won't matter in the long run because he will likely grow to see that TE is likely his spring to the NFL.

So, I actually think it fine to recruit Gilbert as a WR/TE or WR only - as long as you are up front w/ him on all of it - and this is likely how UGA is handling the recruitment anyway.     Gilbert could start as a TE at UGA and he will figure out for himself where he is best suited.   Kirby always says "we play the best guys".

At some point,  Gilbert is likely to come to his own realization and say "Coach, put me in at TE".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I would very much like to know who that "certain player" at WR is, because he seems to make a clear distinction between whoever that is and Arian Smith, suggesting that's not who he's referring to.

His lack of interest in naming them leads me to think we're talking about a kid currently committed to another school

Rakim Jarrett maybe?

I mean that'd be kinda cool I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

At some point,  Gilbert is likely to come to his own realization and say "Coach, put me in at TE".

Or not and end up in the portal.  I'm sure this is something they are considering, when it comes to Gilbert's recruitment as a wr.

 

fibonaccisquared likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Once these high school kids get on the big league campus and see what's what - I believe a shift slowly happens - "How can I get to the league?"

So do you lie to the kid?  Nope

Take Clay Webb for example.  He wants to start his UGA career as a Guard, right?  So that is exactly what  Sam Pittman is letting him do.   If Webb stays on the smallish side as he is now - at some point Center may be his best position.    

While it is a little different because a bigger gap between a TE/WR than a C/OG - there are similiarities there.  Whether he is at UT, UA or UGA - it won't matter in the long run because he will likely grow to see that TE is likely his spring to the NFL.

So, I actually think it fine to recruit Gilbert as a WR/TE or WR only - as long as you are up front w/ him on all of it - and this is likely how UGA is handling the recruitment anyway.     Gilbert could start as a TE at UGA and he will figure out for himself where he is best suited.   Kirby always says "we play the best guys".

At some point,  Gilbert is likely to come to his own realization and say "Coach, put me in at TE".

Not the same

Webb openly states that he knows he'll play center but wants to try OG

Hill was the year before and didn't want to be locked in to center but chose the shortest path to playing time when he got here

If what is being reported is true, this isn't a case of a kid wanting to TRY WR and if it doesn't work out, then moves to TE. This is a case of a kid who thinks he's a WR and wants that guaranteed where he goes. This isn't like years before. If he gets on campus and doesn't get the snaps he wants and at the position he wants, the portal is easy and fast. Plus, our staff doesn't play that game. You are going to be told what you are and how our staff intends to use you, and will be promised NOTHING. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, VA F.O. said:

I would very much like to know who that "certain player" at WR is, because he seems to make a clear distinction between whoever that is and Arian Smith, suggesting that's not who he's referring to.

His lack of interest in naming them leads me to think we're talking about a kid currently committed to another school

Rakim Jarrett maybe?

Interesting that you should ask, because I did the same thing. Here was the response:

Quote

I won’t speak on potential processing of players because it’s unfair if they stick. It has to be really clear that they’re out before doing that.

I will say the chatter that’s early and “unconfirmed” is that we have also joined the Gilbert at WR sweepstakes. Apparently bama has chosen to follow UT and that messaging as well. We continue to pursue Smith as well. Very confident we will not take 5 WRs. I’m not confident on what would happen if both Smith and Gilbert want to be Dawgs considering we have 3 WRs currently committed. I’m saying we could see movement there but can’t tell you definitely who would move on.

There’s a lot of overlapping skill set between Gilbert, Robinson, and Rosemy and then with Wren and Smith. Something would have to give.

So he's talking about Gilbert, possibly joining as a WR instead of a TE. While possible, I just don't see it. With us taking Washington and Theo, it wouldn't make much sense for him. Wherever he goes it seems he's going to try the WR experiment first, but he has to keep it in the back of his head that if WR doesn't work out he will not want to have so much competition at TE like he would at UGA. And SoFL makes a great point, he's probably not going to want to come to a place that has so much overlapping skill sets among players already on the roster. 

A Clemson insider was posting on another site that Gilbert is "all Dawg" at heart, but he doesn't so much like the plan UGA has for him. I would imagine the amount of overlapping skillsets has something to do with that. 

But hey, if Gilbert wants to come and give it a try then I would be all for it. If he could get down to the 235 to 240 pound range and bump his 40 time down into the 4.6 range then he could be a beast. 

Edited by RandomFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

Wiltfong has UGA running 3rd for Gilbert.  Has Bama and Tennessee in the lead.

Bama is selling Gilbert hard as a WR and Tennessee has been for awhile. If we didn’t have 2 options in Washington and Johnson we probably would be pushing harder but at this point “we good” lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Not the same

Webb openly states that he knows he'll play center but wants to try OG

Yeah, what I think a lot of people fail to remember about the Webb situation is he never claimed he didn't want to be a C in college. What he said was he recognizes that playing C is a much more complex position because of having to know all the protection calls and splitting focus on snapping the ball instead of just looking at who you are blocking. He realized that focusing on OG would get him on the field faster; while also learning to be a C in the future in the process. 

m2Falcons and fibonaccisquared like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m kinda done with Gilbert tbh. He has been a silent until about a 2 weeks ago. He will not make it as a receiver and I think it’s a waste of time to let him do that. If we switch him he won’t be happy and could cause a mess like we had last year. Just not worth the drama. 

I love him as a player and would love to have him don’t get me wrong but we need players who will buy in not players we have sell in 

m2Falcons, sdogg, RandomFan and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they just said Rosmey was 6’3 6’4??? I’m assuming he just scored but I missed flipping back and forth watching the braves - love that we got b Hamilton 

Ovie_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

they just said Rosmey was 6’3 6’4??? I’m assuming he just scored but I missed flipping back and forth watching the braves - love that we got b Hamilton 

This Braves game is crazy!

g-dawg and Ovie_Lover like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Kendall Milton early TD.. On ESPNU right now.

Glad you posted this man, I just tuned in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Milton was running pretty well but he’s not getting much help from his OL against this Narbonne defense they are playing. Most of the Buchanan players actually look small compared to Narbonne’s players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh... lol Narbonne defense has a player committed to Bama and a player committed to LSU and a bunch of other dudes with PAC 12 and Big 12 offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 6:18 AM, Carter said:

Milton was running pretty well but he’s not getting much help from his OL against this Narbonne defense they are playing. Most of the Buchanan players actually look small compared to Narbonne’s players.

This was an issue for him last year also. His Soph footage is with a better OL. Guess they just don't have the horses up front... Might be why he was so adamant about going somewhere with a great OL... He now feels the difference. 

SacFalcFan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now