SacFalcFan

August 2019 UGA Recruiting Thread

623 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Arik Gilbert is a unicorn.   Any OC worth his salt could figure out ways to take advantage of his skill set in the offense. Bama has been able to figure out ways to take advantage of freakish TEs without hurting their overall philosophy.   Do you think if Gilbert goes to Alabama that Saban won’t require him to block?

Gilbert is a 5 star TE but he’s not a 5 star WR imo. I like our options at WR better than I like Gilbert at WR. Plus, he’s coming off as a drama and we don’t need that. I want Gilbert but only at TE

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Arik Gilbert is a unicorn.   Any OC worth his salt could figure out ways to take advantage of his skill set in the offense. Bama has been able to figure out ways to take advantage of freakish TEs without hurting their overall philosophy.   Do you think if Gilbert goes to Alabama that Saban won’t require him to block?

2 years ago we were all high on Justin Fields and how he was going to transform the UGA offense... The kid has to be willing and we have to be interested in adjusting... If I ignore what I think about Gilbert's likelihood of being super team first for UGA, what in Kirby's tenure here gives you a huge indication that he's going to entertain a substantial change to the approach on offense, or on his expectations of what is required from a player.

It doesn't matter what Saban would ask of Gilbert, only what Smart requires for guys to see the field. If a guy like D-Rob can't get more than 2 balls thrown his way all season and Justin Fields doesn't get injected into the game against LSU when Fromm is playing his absolute worst, I have zero confidence in Kirby's desire to "mix things up" and play Gilbert if he isn't doing what he asks of every other receiver/TE on the team.

Bdawg58, Spts1 and Ovie_Lover like this

2 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I want Gilbert but only at TE

This. If he's comfortable with that job and all that it entails... bring him on. Otherwise, I'm ok with taking 2 guys who want to do their d@mn job.

RandomFan, 95Dawg and Bdawg58 like this

1 minute ago, Bdawg58 said:

Gilbert is a 5 star TE but he’s not a 5 star WR imo. I like our options at WR better than I like Gilbert at WR. Plus, he’s coming off as a drama and we don’t need that. I want Gilbert but only at TE

And only as a TE that understands blocking is a HUGE part of his job at UGA. If he can't understand he's a small part of a larger machine, do not want. Not saying that is the case, but IF it is, well...

10 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

2 years ago we were all high on Justin Fields and how he was going to transform the UGA offense... The kid has to be willing and we have to be interested in adjusting... If I ignore what I think about Gilbert's likelihood of being super team first for UGA, what in Kirby's tenure here gives you a huge indication that he's going to entertain a substantial change to the approach on offense, or on his expectations of what is required from a player.

It doesn't matter what Saban would ask of Gilbert, only what Smart requires for guys to see the field. If a guy like D-Rob can't get more than 2 balls thrown his way all season and Justin Fields doesn't get injected into the game against LSU when Fromm is playing his absolute worst, I have zero confidence in Kirby's desire to "mix things up" and play Gilbert if he isn't doing what he asks of every other receiver/TE on the team.

You aren’t triggering me on YKW. ;)

17 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

You aren’t triggering me on YKW. ;)

:lol: Wasn't meant to trigger you, just to put some context around it. No single athlete is more important than the culture that Kirby has created in Athens right now... I want everyone pulling the sled in the same direction...

15 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

:lol: Wasn't meant to trigger you, just to put some context around it. No single athlete is more important than the culture that Kirby has created in Athens right now... I want everyone pulling the sled in the same direction...

I actually believe even if he was a 4.65/40 guy Gilbert would be a very effective as a receiver only.  He is a matchup nightmare.  Would Gilbert be a better receiver than Blount, Cages, Lambert, Hollomon(I know) or any other big receiver not named George Pickens?   

Of course he would.  

What great receiver recruits do we have in 2020 class outside of Rosemy?  Some smallish speed guys and the 3* Robinson who might be good.

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I actually believe even if he was a 4.65/40 guy Gilbert would be a very effective receiver.  He is a matchup nightmare.  Would Gilbert be a better receiver than Blount, Cages, Lambert, Hollomon(I know) or any other big receiver not named George Pickens?   

Blount - yes... the guy is a grinder, but 

Cager - not in year 1 and he's a grad transfer... probably not a reasonable comparison. Every catch that Cager made in his last season with Miami was for a 1st down or a Touchdown... He's also a matchup nightmare with a huge catch radius.

Landers - Probably not... I believe Landers is a sub 4.5 guy? His issue is consistency, not explosiveness/matchups

Bush - another speedy guy but hasn't developed his body enough yet... probably lean Gilbert here unless Bush were to have a good season in S&C

Holloman - no. He's not on the roster anymore, but the guy was setting up to be a huge threat for us... and he's significantly faster (and twitchier) than Gilbert

When the knock is consistency, you have to keep in mind that you still have no context for how Gilbert will do once he's not light years ahead of the guys he's playing against.

I just don't see a scenario where Gilbert is starting at one of the 2 outside wide-out spots. He would *thrive* in the Charlie Woerner role that we had carved out in 2017... some lighter in-line TE blocking duties, flexed outside as a receiver or a perimeter blocker frequently. Woerner was good as a freshman other than having a hard time staying healthy. Obviously Gilbert is a step above athletically... I could easily see him crushing that role.. but it's still as a TE first, WR duties second.

Edited by fibonaccisquared
Ovie_Lover and Bdawg58 like this

Gilbert is only going to add more weight once he gets to college.  He could be a solid te, a stud de, or a serviceable wr.  I would have no problem with him as a te, that occasionally flexed out, but either way, he has to be able to block. 

Additionally, if wr is the position he wants to play, and is being sold on that to get him on campus, the portal very well could be in his future, because I see no way that he sticks at the wr position in college.

bama accepted commitment from a 2nd rb in edwards.. They would like 3 rbs so they are not giving up on evans but they needed to accept a 2 just in case.  However if the had gotten Evans they would shut down rb recruiting. 

1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

bama accepted commitment from a 2nd rb in edwards.. he was a guy we were keeping warm in case we missed out on our top guys.. 

Interesting.  

2 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

Gilbert is only going to add more weight once he gets to college.  He could be a solid te, a stud de, or a serviceable wr.  I would have no problem with him as a te, that occasionally flexed out, but either way, he has to be able to block. 

Additionally, if wr is the position he wants to play, and is being sold on that to get him on campus, the portal very well could be in his future, because I see no way that he sticks at the wr position in college.

With his athleticism, he could be like Kellen Winslow. What a weapon he could be.

g-dawg likes this

22 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

bama accepted commitment from a 2nd rb in edwards.. he was a guy we were keeping warm in case we missed out on our top guys.. 

I thought it was Daijun Edwards that we were keeping warm?

SacFalcFan likes this

25 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I thought it was Daijun Edwards that we were keeping warm?

Yep..  I had the wrong Edwards in my head.

3 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

That really is the point.  He is only going to get bigger and at his size now he isn't explosive at wr and he will only get slower and bigger.  I saw the game last night and I saw a very poor defensive backfield for Rome.  I know our staff is playing the game and telling him he can play the wr position but he is really a te.  

I really think they're doing a similar thing with Gilbert that they did with Evans 

Washington and Theo are visiting together for the ND game 

The message is clear 

We're moving on First one to commit is in 

With Evans it worked and Tank was left without a spot 

We'll see what Gilbert does 

fibonaccisquared and Bdawg58 like this

Kipp changed his CB for Gilbert to foggy to match Rusty and also matched Rusty's CB for Whitehead to Tennessee 

16 hours ago, RandomFan said:

For those that didn't see SoFL's post from earlier today on TOS: 

I would very much like to know who that "certain player" at WR is, because he seems to make a clear distinction between whoever that is and Arian Smith, suggesting that's not who he's referring to.

His lack of interest in naming them leads me to think we're talking about a kid currently committed to another school

Rakim Jarrett maybe?