SacFalcFan

August 2019 UGA Recruiting Thread

623 posts in this topic

btw i am not giving lafalconfan a hard time so this isn't directed to him, but I would like our fans to not post those type of rumors on boards.  it doesn't help us out at all because other uga fans take that stuff to other boards and asks questions about it and then local radio gets that rumor even when there is zero substance to it.  I can guarantee if the NCAA was looking into UGA for a serious issue it would be all over pay boards like rivals and 247sports because we have fans who love for their minute of fame and have good enough contacts where they will know right away.  again i am not giving anyone a hard time on this board, but until i see a legit article or a source regarding this i wouldn't be at all worried nor would I take this to other boards.  so please keep it all here if you want to discuss.  

15 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

btw i am not giving lafalconfan a hard time so this isn't directed to him, but I would like our fans to not post those type of rumors on boards.  it doesn't help us out at all because other uga fans take that stuff to other boards and asks questions about it and then local radio gets that rumor even when there is zero substance to it.  I can guarantee if the NCAA was looking into UGA for a serious issue it would be all over pay boards like rivals and 247sports because we have fans who love for their minute of fame and have good enough contacts where they will know right away.  again i am not giving anyone a hard time on this board, but until i see a legit article or a source regarding this i wouldn't be at all worried nor would I take this to other boards.  so please keep it all here if you want to discuss.  

Thanks for the level-headed remark, Sac. We're lucky to have some very smart and plugged in folks in our small community.

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

100% in agreement. No offense taken at all.

Marietta plays on TV tonight in the Korky Kell Classic.  Folks will get to see what this Gilbert guy is about...

tdub0199 likes this

2 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Marietta plays on TV tonight in the Korky Kell Classic.  Folks will get to see what this Gilbert guy is about...

can't wait to see the marietta/rome game.. it's a shame rome is in a rebuilding phase.. 

10 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

can't wait to see the marietta/rome game.. it's a shame rome is in a rebuilding phase.. 

Colquitt County is gonna be interesting also because of their new coach.  I believe Walton is in the classic as well. Tonight officially kicks off football season...

10 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Looks like we got a 2021 commit, safety Brayln Oliver.

Yep. He camped with us in late May/early June, then came back for the BBQ. Staff must have liked what they saw to accept it... obviously his ranking is low (they don't care really, just a reference point) currently and his offer list is pretty light on top tier programs to date. 

Ovie_Lover likes this

23 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Yep. He camped with us in late May/early June, then came back for the BBQ. Staff must have liked what they saw to accept it... obviously his ranking is low (they don't care really, just a reference point) currently and his offer list is pretty light on top tier programs to date. 

6'2

He has the size and I'm guessing they liked his speed and physical attributes. Assuming they can coach up the mental part.

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Rusty said that Oliver ran a 4.5, on 2 different occasions for the staff.

6'2", 190, runs 4.5, and has 2 more years in HS.... current offer list:

Tennessee, WVU

Colorado, Louisville

Duke, App St, Charlotte, Ga Southern

:lol: His recruitment isn't set to take off at all...

Edited by fibonaccisquared
Ovie_Lover likes this

10 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

6'2", 190, runs 4.5, and has 2 more years in HS.... current offer list:

Tennessee, WVU

Colorado, Louisville

Duke, App St, Charlotte, Ga Southern

:lol: His recruitment isn't set to take off at all...

Quiet. He's bad. We're doing him a favor. Nothing to see here.

1 hour ago, LawDawg said:

Still waiting for that imminent commitment.

Expect it around the week of his first game which I believe is the first week of September. 

I'm watching the Marietta game.  They got Gilbert lined up in the backfield.  Dude looks like the biggest player out there and got speed...

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

my bad, wrong thread...:lol:

Sorry but Arik Gilbert is a straight freak.  He is crushing Rome.   We need to get him.

For those that didn't see SoFL's post from earlier today on TOS: 

So obviously I heard a few days ago we were going to wrap up RB yesterday. It was said to be a surprise commitment and I woke up to Instagram posts on DN rumoring Evans was going public which was followed by a few crystal balls. Surprise spoiled.

We may not hear when he’s supposed to pop again because of this situation. A few weeks ago I was told before Vandy. Now we’re just “speculating” before end of Sept. I still think UGA is well positioned to land his commitment. We do not feel this changes the anticipated outcome. We still strongly feel his choice will be his last.

Numbers are really tight y’all. We feel that the only offensive question mark is the 4th WR at this time. QB, OL, TE, RB all appear settled and will be awaiting finality. Important to note that we are starting to hear rumblings on changes at WR. This is very early, but “speculation” is that if a certain player wants in, there will likely be some movement. I believe this should be sorted within the next 6 weeks. Arian Smith is the only one I feel confident enough to speak on. I’m hearing CU is close to taking its final WR. If that is true, assuming it’s not Smith (it’s believed he prefers their system), I do feel that locks us in as his primary choice. From there it’s about the #’s. Someone really talented will be left out of this class on offense or defense unless Kirby works some numbers magic.

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Sorry but Arik Gilbert is a straight freak.  He is crushing Rome.   We need to get him.

We don't, and we likely won't.

Copy/paste my response from the other board:

Not one person has questioned his athletic ability. In a vacuum, you're right... 

Other guys who were men amongst boys in HS: Brenton Cox and Justin Fields... 

There is more to recruiting than simply amassing the best athletes. They have to fit what you want to do, they have to buy in to what you ask of them... 

At this stage, Gilbert doesn't sound like he's super interested in playing TE in the manner in which UGA would need him to... Sucks because he *is* an incredibly talented dude... But if he doesn't want to play TE due to blocking responsibilities, 1) he's not going to see the field at UGA at WR without blocking either... IconLOL.gif 2) even if you get him to give consistent effort as a blocker, which WR spot are you starting him at? He's not as fast as the guys you have in the room already so he won't get great separation against SEC DBs. Ultimately, if he isn't playing TE for us, he likely doesn't see the field enough on offense to be worth it for him... Sounds like he likes what Clemson does offensively with the TE... maybe Bama or UT as well... I think I'd rather see him at UT. Easier to gameplan around.

Ovie_Lover, Carter and RandomFan like this

5 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

We don't, and we likely won't.

Copy/paste my response from the other board:

Arik Gilbert is a unicorn.   Any OC worth his salt could figure out ways to take advantage of his skill set in the offense. Bama has been able to figure out ways to take advantage of freakish TEs without hurting their overall philosophy.   Do you think if Gilbert goes to Alabama that Saban won’t require him to block?

Spts1 likes this