SacFalcFan

August 2019 UGA Recruiting Thread

623 posts in this topic

While I will in no way be upset with getting Washington and Johnson, like with last year, and being happy to get Pickens, but upset to lose Haselwood, and just like with Murphy, it will still bug me to lose the elite hometown kid, who everyone thought was a lock this time last year.

Wardog357 and g-dawg like this

2 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

While I will in no way be upset with getting Washington and Johnson, like with last year, and being happy to get Pickens, but upset to lose Haselwood, and just like with Murphy, it will still bug me to lose the elite hometown kid, who everyone thought was a lock this time last year.

My take on that is this...  I'd be more concerned with passing on him if he didn't seem to be heading down the wrong path from a mental approach... It's about how many targets he'll get, what his official position will be, etc... before he ever gets on campus. With the transfer portal as a real and persistent threat, I just don't see him being happy enough in UGA's offense... 

Would I prefer Gilbert's skillset/body/game readiness to Theo Johnson? Probably... but not by such a wide margin that I need to ignore the underlying concerns either...

3 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

It will make me VERY happy to hear Evans say that he is shutting it down after he commits to us

Not sure I'll *believe* it... but I'd definitely be happy to hear it. :lol: 

Carter and RandomFan like this

I've been on the Washington/Theo wagon for a while. I don't have anything bad to say about Gilbert, he could be a great player in college. I think he wants something he won't find in Athens though and fair play to him. If he changes his mind before that ship has sailed, I'll be happy to have him. I'll be ecstatic with Washington and Theo though, I think they are great fits.

g-dawg, Turkeydawg and Wardog357 like this

It's really less about Gilbert being maybe more talented for me, and more about losing top talent from inside the state

We don't take as many in state players as we used to, since we're so focused on getting the top players at every position, so when one of the few actually good enough to be a take goes elsewhere, I can't help but let it bother me a little

Posted (edited)

Not recruiting related but I'm dying at this...

can't get whole conversation in on phone but read replies

Edited by fibonaccisquared

34 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

It's really less about Gilbert being maybe more talented for me, and more about losing top talent from inside the state

We don't take as many in state players as we used to, since we're so focused on getting the top players at every position, so when one of the few actually good enough to be a take goes elsewhere, I can't help but let it bother me a little

Definitely fair. If he didn't seem like a head case, I'd definitely be more let down. Looks like next year may have a better crop of in state talent at least. 

Ehh, I don't know about that. We'll see how the ratings change, but this time last year, there was a lot more top 100 kids from GA

in the composite, there's only two 5 stars plus 4 more in the top 50

17 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Ehh, I don't know about that. We'll see how the ratings change, but this time last year, there was a lot more top 100 kids from GA

in the composite, there's only two 5 stars plus 4 more in the top 50

Yeah, I understand the potential red flags w/ Gilbert but not sure if they will really turn into full blown diva issues on campus - in recruiting these guys are "deified" - and once he gets on a college campus, like all Freshman, he will discover that it ain't all about him and most likely will make whatever adjustment for the coaches AND his own expectation - at some point he will listen to reason and a coach will convince him what will make him the most money in the NFL.   The kid is just a little immature now but nothing too bad that I have seen so far.

As to always "going after the best recruits, no matter what state" - I am mostly down with that BUT....if trendline keeps going this way, I personally think some of it could backfire w/ these in-state high school coaches.   Obviously Dawgs want Gilbert, maybe we wanted BJO, we passed on Tank, we wanted Murphy, etc.   - Maybe a down year for UGA vs the rest of US - but at some point, we will have more and more in-state guys we desperately want and it could be harder to get those guys.

Yeah, but if coaches think Theo can give similar production, with little difference in talent, but without the issues after he gets on campus, and if Theo is willing to commit now (or soon), and shut it down, they may think they're breaking even.

Especially if the feeling they're getting is that they might lose Theo if they wait on Gilbert, and aren't confident that they'll then get either

Remember the reason they burned those bridges with Tank was because they were sure they were getting Evans. This time a month ago, they were just going to take Tank and move on.

They clearly want to get this class squared away as much as possible before or just after the season starts, and get everyone in the mix to shut it down. The only battles they seem to be looking to take are for elite players, and guys where they're not 100% sure they have a spot.

fibonaccisquared and g-dawg like this

33 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Yeah, but if coaches think Theo can give similar production, with little difference in talent, but without the issues after he gets on campus, and if Theo is willing to commit now (or soon), and shut it down, they may think they're breaking even.

Especially if the feeling they're getting is that they might lose Theo if they wait on Gilbert, and aren't confident that they'll then get either

Remember the reason they burned those bridges with Tank was because they were sure they were getting Evans. This time a month ago, they were just going to take Tank and move on.

They clearly want to get this class squared away as much as possible before or just after the season starts, and get everyone in the mix to shut it down. The only battles they seem to be looking to take are for elite players, and guys where they're not 100% sure they have a spot.

so is the word that Dawgs are close w/ Theo.  So far all I have seen of late is some gif of a few basketball players hoisting the Larry O'Brein(NBA Finals) trophy posted by UGA TE coach Todd Hartley and SoFl Dawg mentioning TE class close to being wrapped up.

What have you heard?

I'm assuming Theo. The only TEs we've been reported to be in with is him, Gilbert, and Washington, and current reports have us out of favor with Gilbert, and Washington recruiting Theo for us, so this is best guess

g-dawg likes this

While you were sleeping...

aggiefootballnetwork put out a tweet that Zach Evans was “rumored” to have a 3:00pm commitment announcement today.

Evans has since knocked this down this morning.

Coupled with SoFl Dawg’s news last night of Evans commitment to the Dawgs being imminent - these developments above could be inferred that Aggie got the word from Evans that they weren’t the choice and wanted to ruin the kid’s day.

On 8/8/2019 at 6:54 AM, Ricky Fontaine said:

Why would you think that? I’m originally LAFalconFan and I’ve been on here longer than a lot of y’all. I’ve been here since Vick. 

I keep forgetting it's you man..  :)  you need to put in your signature your previous name on here.. 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

While you were sleeping...

aggiefootballnetwork put out a tweet that Zach Evans was “rumored” to have a 3:00pm commitment announcement today.

Evans has since knocked this down this morning.

Coupled with SoFl Dawg’s news last night of Evans commitment to the Dawgs being imminent - these developments above could be inferred that Aggie got the word from Evans that they weren’t the choice and wanted to ruin the kid’s day.

That last part is pure speculation... No telling who all Evans shared his thoughts with. Given that there was a date/time for commitment, seems more likely to me that a friend/family member leaked it. If he was calling the aTm coaches to let them know he was going elsewhere, I don't see a scenario where he would have said "I'm committing to them at 3:00 Wednesday"...

If it did have anything to do with the aTm coaches though, only helps us. 

Unrelated, but rumors circling that Antonio Alfano *might* enter the transfer portal. Some Bama posters/insiders speculating that it's just family issues, but that was also the rumors for Anoma before it happened. Would not hate to see them lose some top end talent from the roster. :) 

g-dawg and Porter Osborne Jr like this

11 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

I keep forgetting it's you man..  :)  you need to put in your signature your previous name on here.. 

:D Done

13 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

That last part is pure speculation... No telling who all Evans shared his thoughts with. Given that there was a date/time for commitment, seems more likely to me that a friend/family member leaked it. If he was calling the aTm coaches to let them know he was going elsewhere, I don't see a scenario where he would have said "I'm committing to them at 3:00 Wednesday"...

If it did have anything to do with the aTm coaches though, only helps us. 

Unrelated, but rumors circling that Antonio Alfano *might* enter the transfer portal. Some Bama posters/insiders speculating that it's just family issues, but that was also the rumors for Anoma before it happened. Would not hate to see them lose some top end talent from the roster. :) 

Thought I used “could be inferred”.   If it was a family leak, why does it come from aggiefootballnetwork?   Disgruntled family member that wanted Zach to ATM?

understand your overall point though.  

15 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Thought I used “could be inferred”.   If it was a family leak, why does it come from aggiefootballnetwork?   Disgruntled family member that wanted Zach to ATM?

understand your overall point though.  

Wasn't meant to be critical, just clarification in case anyone wanted to take it as gospel. There are a lot of people running with the speculation (elsewhere) already calling out Jimbo and aTm and there just isn't sufficient evidence to support it... it's *a* possibility, but not even the most likely possibility at this point.

Family member might have wanted him closer to home... might have wanted to try and leverage his recruitment for their own benefit in state... could have been a number of things. 

g-dawg likes this

19 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

NCAA poking around? To see why we are getting good recruits? 

Not sure. But this guy is very very very reliable. He was the one who told me about Cox to Fla.

17 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

NCAA poking around? To see why we are getting good recruits? 

Don’t know if that guy is trolling or not.  Probably. 

Having said that, Kind of funny though to see Bama have Top rated class what 7-8yrs in a row - did NCAA ever set foot in Alabama?  NCAA had UNC dead to rights on basketball and let’s them almost entirely off the hook. The chosen programs aren’t to be touched.