SacFalcFan

August 2019 UGA Recruiting Thread

623 posts in this topic

Scrimmage Notes:

Injuries: Swift and Justin Young were dressed out and running on the sidelines all of practice. Nakobe Dean was also dressed out but didn't participate nor did he run on the sideline from what I saw. Rian Davis was in a black no contact jersey and Trezman Marshall was also limited. There didn't seem to be any serious injuries during the scrimmage outside of the typical bumps and bruises. Anyone who got shaken up got up quickly and came back on the field.

Format: These practices are hectic and there are groups moving all over the field almost all the time. The amount of support staff on the field is incredible to see. There are almost as many of those guys as there are players. After warmups there are usually individual competitive drills, then pass skeleton, then 7 on 7, then OL/DL gap assignment work, then full on 1 vs. 1, 1 vs. 2, 2 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3. FG, KOC vs. KOR (thud only), and PC vs. PR (thud only). It was also VERY hot so there was a lot of subbing/rotating to try and keep guys fresh.

Perspective: Back in 2016 I went to Kirby's first scrimmage as head coach. Maurice Smith had just been cleared to transfer by the SEC and he was doing some running in the near end zone in front of me. I remember looking at him vs. the rest of our team and remarking about how different he looked compared to the rest of our team. He looked like what an SEC player should look like. I wondered to myself how long it would take to get a team full of guys like that. Flash forward to yesterday and I have my answer. It's now. I'm not a small guy and I was absolutely dwarfed by the guys on that field. If you're watching from the stands guys like Zamir White and Kenny McIntosh look undersized compared to who they are standing next to. I walked out of the stadium behind Mark Webb and everything flashed back to that Maurice Smith memory and I knew we had entered a different phase of this program. This team is big, it's fast, and it's well coached.

One thing to know before moving forward due to the overall talent levels and the familiarity with each other it can be hard to distinguish good/bad reps/days so don't read too much into anything that might sound "bad".

Offense: Starting OL is of course Thomas - Kindley - HIll - Cleveland - Wilson with Mays being the 6th man, Cleveland is also on #1 Punt and #1 FG so you might see him getting a series or two off every game due to # of reps. There's so much depth that Truss and McClendon are buried on 3rd team with little hope of getting off of it. RB's are all talented and there's very little if any drop off 1-4. They can all catch and can all run between the tackles. Zamir looks healthy and confident. McIntosh moves well and can really catch. Cook is going to be **** on wheels running routes out of the backfield. Our D has problems with him and that doesn't bode well for other teams. WR's are huge. Pickens, once he has the offense down, is all we've been looking for in a WR since AJ left. Simmons had a great day and showed off his speed on two passes (80&40 yarders). Fromm had a good day overall and Bennett did as well. D-Rob has put on some good weight (he'll never be big) and looked smooth coming out of the slot and working at KR. Kearis had a nice post route TD on a 2 minute drill drive. Blount and Cager both came down with hail mary TD's during that drill period. TE's had some short route success but no one had a great day from that spot.

Defense: Kirby got mad at the defense exactly twice during the scrimmage which should give you an idea of where they are at. Once was when the second team Dime defense was out there and the Money DB screwed up (couldn't even tell you who that was but they are way down the depth chart) and the second time he got mad at Tindall for screwing up coverages on a TE crossing route twice in a row (reading the wrong key) during the same Dime defense drill period . Kirby gave him some personal one on one coaching with the mic off. I don't think Tindall will screw that up again. We have depth on the d-line now. The 2nd team DL (Wyatt, Davis, Walthour) gave the 1st team OL all they wanted for one series before guys started rotating in and out. Every catch made by the offense yesterday was contested. There were no blown coverages with guys running wide open. A DB was in that WR's hip pocket every time and those WR's had to step up and make plays. Other than the deep passes there was little to no YAC that I saw. There's a lot to like here we just have to be disruptive when it counts.

Special Teams: It's Rod and Camarda and after that it's just some guys. Brooks Buce can do ok if we're in a tight spot but lets hope we don't get there. Mercer transfer Steven Nixon seems to have locked down the starting LS job. He took most of the meaningful 1st and 2nd team punt and FG snaps.

I feel really good about this team going into the season. Sure there are some guys that have to prove themselves when it matters but we've never had this talented of a team top to bottom at UGA. The sky is the limit as long as guys stay bought in and young guys rise to the occasion.

28 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Perspective: Back in 2016 I went to Kirby's first scrimmage as head coach. Maurice Smith had just been cleared to transfer by the SEC and he was doing some running in the near end zone in front of me. I remember looking at him vs. the rest of our team and remarking about how different he looked compared to the rest of our team. He looked like what an SEC player should look like. I wondered to myself how long it would take to get a team full of guys like that. Flash forward to yesterday and I have my answer. It's now. I'm not a small guy and I was absolutely dwarfed by the guys on that field. If you're watching from the stands guys like Zamir White and Kenny McIntosh look undersized compared to who they are standing next to. I walked out of the stadium behind Mark Webb and everything flashed back to that Maurice Smith memory and I knew we had entered a different phase of this program. This team is big, it's fast, and it's well coached.

This right here...oh yeah. Shoot it straight into my veins. 

Semi recruiting related... but for guys that have already signed in the 2019 class. And I'm posting it in here because I think this thread gets the most views in this subforum at the moment.

QB1 season 3 is now up on Netflix! ^_^

fibonaccisquared likes this

9 hours ago, Carter said:

Semi recruiting related... but for guys that have already signed in the 2019 class. And I'm posting it in here because I think this thread gets the most views in this subforum at the moment.

QB1 season 3 is now up on Netflix! ^_^

Carson Beck in it?

From SoFl Dawg:

“Hey guys-as we get ready to start the season, just wanted to get caught up on what seems to be happening. Insert cliche, recruiting is fluid, so expect some changes.

Jordan Burch-#1 remaining target. We’re in good spot. 3 team race UGA, carolina schools. Our pitch has been to use him as a DL/OLB which he likes, 5T-W9 depending on situation. The camp doesn’t talk much but we believe his mother really loves USC and UGA “now”. Burch really loved CU and now strongly likes UGA. CU dropped the ball in their pursuit of M. Murphy, and there was a misunderstanding between Dabo and Burch’s mom regarding where to play his final year of HS. With USC headed in wrong direction, common denominator is UGA. Mom loves us and is building rapport with other Dawg parents, Burch can now see himself there. The compromise pick is UGA. Not expecting announcement until Dec.

Zachary Evans-this has been up and down since March, the first time I heard he was a silent. Evans and Milton have been the primary targets for well over a year. About two weeks ago, I was told Evans is jaded with the process, would commit before start of the season, and would shut it down. This impacted the Tank Bigsby news who was in the works of shooting a commitment vid to UGA before pulling the plug there. Regardless of landing Evans, Tank is not likely to come to UGA at this time; ship sailed. Evans has embraced load management and post football resources. He will be a Dawg and we feel strongly about that.

Kelee Ringo-lets keep this one short. Dawg.

Darnell Washington-lets keep this on me short. Dawg. He continues to work on Theo Johnson but with the dead period, I don’t have an update on how Theo feels about UGA currently. Likely will make a decision after OVs but really watch MI here.

Elias Ricks-relatively new for us. I was told not to expect him to remain a Tiger. There has been a lot happening behind the scenes and we feel he is 70% UGA lean. That’s not enough to project him as silent or Dawg but we need to stay the course and should win out. Dell, Kendall Milton, IMG, and the “group chat” have all been chipping away here. Once he’s on campus we’ll update but we’re confident here.

Noah Sewell- we’ll keep this short. Dawg. Arguably has been prioritized the second most behind Burch.

Arik Gilbert-no longer expect him to choose UGA. We’ve been in his ear for so long that maybe usage of TEs can sway him but he doesn’t want to play TE with hand in dirt. I don’t know if this is something our staff is really entertaining. I do know that staff has had its fill already of me first guys and Gilbert is coming in with a lot of demands: targets, positions, route, etc. I’d watch him to go west of GA for now, UT or Bama.

Arian Smith-one of my faves in this class because of raw potential. We feel he’s a Dawg. We think he could be an odd man out due to #’s. I’ve been told no WR will be processed so it’ll be 4. This is one we’re watching as class solidifies. I do think he’s first in as BPA because of upside. That’s speculation, I haven’t heard that specifically.

Zykevious Walker- this one has had twists and turns. All UGA, going to commit around Gday, then drops top 5 instead. Staff’s frequency of touch points decreased and I heard fu and au in a 3-4 month span. Now I’m hearing all UGA again. CSF & CTS believe he’s a 5T edge and will grow into that. I’ve heard he’s ~280 now. He and Burch are both said to be takes. We need to see 1-2 decommits to make this work. I think he’s #2 as BPA behind A. Smith but because of need and being home grown, he may get the nod.

Gervon Dexter- this is the Kirby flip special this year. I’ve been asked to keep some things close on this one. This one will feel like George Pickens from last year. He and Jalen Carter are close (this is very important). He’s also close with Milton. Coach Fountain may be the MVP this cycle; definitely gets most improved.

These are the names I’m following most closely during the season. There may be some risers and fallers but I feel this will be our final additions. Assume 16 current commits. I do think a blue shirt will be offered and accepted. Someone will be the odd man out here as BPA. Tough decisions.

@Ransack thanks for the report man! I feel like one of the more refreshing things to hear is about the DBs being in every receivers hip pocket. I hate to downplay the season and fast forward but in my mind, we are on a collision course with Bama. Hearing good things about the secondary makes me feel better about going up against Jeudy, Ruggs, and Smith. 

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

Would hate to see Gilbert go elsewhere.

If we get Washington and Johnson/Large/Carr, I'll be fine with it.  I would rather take Gilbert on defense and add the other 2 as te's.  I wouldn't want to waste a spot on someone who is thinking they are going to be a wr in college.  Portal candidate waiting to happen.

Edited by Turkeydawg
RandomFan and fibonaccisquared like this

"Gervon Dexter- this is the Kirby flip special this year. I’ve been asked to keep some things close on this one. This one will feel like George Pickens from last year. He and Jalen Carter are close (this is very important). He’s also close with Milton. Coach Fountain may be the MVP this cycle; definitely gets most improved."

tenor.gif

g-dawg, Reeves, 95Dawg and 2 others like this

42 minutes ago, MemphibianDawg said:

"Gervon Dexter- this is the Kirby flip special this year. I’ve been asked to keep some things close on this one. This one will feel like George Pickens from last year. He and Jalen Carter are close (this is very important). He’s also close with Milton. Coach Fountain may be the MVP this cycle; definitely gets most improved."

tenor.gif

Out goes Cox, in comes Gervon?

18sab8.jpg

EVERY PROSPECT WITH A CRYSTAL BALL PREDICTION TO ALABAMA

By Hank South, 247,

August 19th

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/LongFormArticle/Alabama-Football-Crystal-Ball-predictions--134579254/#134579254_10

RB ZACHARY EVANS

ans’ recruitment has been a whirlwind to say the least. The nation’s No. 1 running back has trended towards a handful of different schools, Alabama included. His 247Sports Crystal Ball paints a pretty accurate picture between Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M and foggy of where things stand. It’s Georgia that’s picked up two of the last three predictions in recent weeks with the Bulldogs holding the momentum heading into the season. Evans himself says he’s not in a rush to make a decision. This is a recruitment that will go deep into the process even if a commitment is made in the near future. 

ATH/TE DARNELL WASHINGTON

One of the Tide’s two five-star tight end targets is trending towards Alabama on the 247Sports Crystal Ball as this looks like a race that could come down to the Tide and the Bulldogs come decision day. UGA got Washington on campus last and will host him again for an official visit next month. The Tide is expected to get the Las Vegas standout on campus for the LSU game, which would mark his third trip this year. A lot of the buzz as of late in terms of five-star tight ends has favored the Tide for Arik Gilbert, the No. 1 player at the position, but it’s too early to write off UA’s chances for Washington with visits on deck.

DB NADAB JOSEPH

one-time Tide pledge turned Georgia signee due to academics, both UA and UGA are back in play for the junior college edition of Joseph in the 2020 cycle. The South Florida native is getting set to play this season for Independence Community College this fall after sitting out last season to focus on academics. Joseph impressed at Alabama’s camp back in June, picking up a new offer along the way. The Tide looks to be trending as it stands entering the season, but it will be a battle with the Bulldogs as to who wins the Joseph sweepstakes this time around. 

8 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Carson Beck in it?

No they only follow seniors in their final season of high school football. They should be filming Beck over the next 3-4 months and he will be in season 4.

The QBs for season 3 are Spencer Rattler (signed with OU), Nik Scalzo (signed with Kentucky) and Lance LeGendre (signed with Maryland).

Khris Bogle is in the show briefly as he was on the same team with Scalzo. He gets hurt though.

g-dawg likes this

3 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

Theo reminds me of Tony G

Tony G was the master at using his body to wall off the defender and high point the ball.

Wardog357 likes this

33 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Tony G was the master at using his body to wall off the defender and high point the ball.

That’s why I’m such a huge advocate of kids playing multiple sports.. what you might not learn fully in one, you will hit on in another.. 

Wardog357 and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, TheTrue7 said:

That’s why I’m such a huge advocate of kids playing multiple sports.. what you might not learn fully in one, you will hit on in another.. 

Yessir, Basketball definitely teaches a kid how to wall off and block out

Wardog357 likes this

35 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yessir, Basketball definitely teaches a kid how to wall off and block out

Using hands effectively and getting low as well.. each sport has a complimentary sport.. 

g-dawg likes this

SoFL has made his return to DN forums... with a bang:

2019-08-20-17-24-37.png

Before it goes back and forth, relax and let’s keep the thread to recruiting. It’s already been hashed out on the hiatus and it didn’t have anything to do with questions regarding recruiting.

I do not answer questions on timelines or who’s silent to protect the moments that these young men and their families have earned. Cheesy to some of y’all I know, but “respect my decision; no interviews.”

What’s important is that we feel we are in a strong position to land the highest ranked RB in the 20 class. What’s more important is that I now feel that the decision he makes, which is imminent, will likely be his final decision. Let the good times roll!

one more nugget that I haven’t dropped, TE is now likely wrapped up too. Stay tuned.