SacFalcFan

August 2019 UGA Recruiting Thread

623 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Yep... Poster on DN added some comments in line with the actual NCAA line by line rule verbiage... it seems like Rusty is incorrect. In short, if Joseph costs a spot, he's likely not a take. I don't see the staff actively pursuing him given our space limitations if Rusty was correct either.

Absolutely. The gamble is worth it, if you miss, you still have options to 1) flip another back late in the 2020 cycle or 2) land 2 out of the 2021 cycle with a really compelling depth chart (but then you need to count on at least one freshman being a meaningful contributor - OR - you have to blow an extra spot on a grad transfer). I just don't see a scenario where this staff whiffs on Evans AND fails to get a second high enough caliber back in this class.

Spot on

4 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

On Evans, our staff knows it won’t be over until he actually signs but Evans is 100% worth the risk. He is the best RB in this class and I’m not sure there’s a close 2nd. 

While most of us might feel that way, I think it's important for us to remember that from all reports the UGA staff, and specifically Dell McGee feel that Milton is the top RB on the board -- at least as far as fit for our scheme. From insiders, and the Milton's themselves, it's been made clear that Kendall was the top priority at RB, even over Evans. 

Reeves likes this

23 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

While most of us might feel that way, I think it's important for us to remember that from all reports the UGA staff, and specifically Dell McGee feel that Milton is the top RB on the board -- at least as far as fit for our scheme. From insiders, and the Milton's themselves, it's been made clear that Kendall was the top priority at RB, even over Evans. 

I would respectfully disagree... Evans is and has always been #1 on our board and Milton has always been #2. It’s no different than when NFL teams make their draft board, they base their board on talent not on who commits first. Milton and Evans are the only 2 RBs that have always had a committable offer from us.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I would respectfully disagree... Evans is and has always been #1 on our board and Milton has always been #2. It’s no different than when NFL teams make their draft board, they base their board on talent not on who commits first. Milton and Evans are the only 2 RBs that have always had a committable offer from us.

I didn't mention a thing about who committed first mattering. It's also irrelevant that both of them have had a committable offer.

What I said was every single thing I've seen come out, whether behind the scenes or out in the open, has painted a pretty clear picture that Milton was our staff's priority over Evans. Personally I do think Evans is a better pure RB, but I'm just pointing out that for whatever reason McGee and the Dawgs seem to favor Milton as a higher priority for our team. Among other sources, this was something SoFl mentioned more than a few times. Milton's dad said something similar, saying that UGA made it very clear that Kendall was our top priority at RB. 

Edited by RandomFan

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I didn't mention a thing about who committed first mattering. It's also irrelevant that both of them have had a committable offer.

What I said was every single thing I've seen come out, whether behind the scenes or out in the open, has painted a pretty clear picture that Milton was our staff's priority over Evans. Personally I do think Evans is a better pure RB, but I'm just pointing out that for whatever reason McGee and the Dawgs seem to favor Milton as a higher priority for our team. Among other sources, this was something SoFl mentioned more than a few times. Milton's dad said something similar, saying that UGA made it very clear that Kendall was our top priority at RB. 

Milton and Evans are both top priorities... Our staff learned from last year telling 2 backs (Sanders and Emery) that they were the top priority and in the end it cost us. Milton was going to make a decision sooner than Evans was so the staff put the full court press on him earlier this summer knowing if they got him on board it could help with Evans. Both guys are equally top priority, it’s just Evans is the #1 RB talent on our board. 

Edited by Bdawg58
g-dawg likes this

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Both guys are equally top priority, it’s just Evans is the #1 RB talent on our board. 

Nothing I've seen or read provides evidence to support that conclusion. Unless you've seen our recruiting board rankings?

We've flirted heavily with Lloyd and Cheney, and even strung Tank along; and those 3 are RB types that would fill the similar "lightning" mold of Evans that the staff wants to pair with Milton's "thunder". 

Now it's highly possible that Milton was our staff's higher priority because there really isn't another highly rated "thunder" RB and there are several lightning backs to choose from. But the fact remains unless someone has seen a UGA staff RB ranking that says otherwise, all evidence points towards Milton being our staffs top ranked RB. 

In the grand scheme of things it's not going to matter much once/if they both get on campus. Competition will sort it all out. It's just a small amount irksome to me to continue to see posters on multiple forums keep suggesting that Tier 1 is Evans by a mile and then everyone else, when our staff doesn't seem to agree. 

Edited by RandomFan

3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Not one single thing I've seen or read provides evidence to support that conclusion. 

It’s all over Rivals... If Evans wasn’t a top priority then Tank would be our 2nd RB right now. Again, Milton’s decision timeline made him a greater priority at the beginning of the summer. Where Evans had told everyone that he wasn’t making a decision until December. It doesn’t mean the staff wanted one more than the other it just means that they knew they had time with Evans and that they needed to get Milton locked down. It would’ve been the same thing if it were switched 

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

It’s all over Rivals... If Evans wasn’t a top priority then Tank would be our 2nd RB right now. Again, Milton’s decision timeline made him a greater priority at the beginning of the summer. Where Evans had told everyone that he wasn’t making a decision until December. It doesn’t mean the staff wanted one more than the other it just means that they knew they had time with Evans and that they needed to get Milton locked down. It would’ve been the same thing if it were switched 

For one thing, Rivals is pretty trash outside of a few posters. And again, Tank not being our 2nd RB right now has not one single thing to do with whether we valued Evans over Milton, or vice versa. Tank is now a Barner because Evans is a silent commit to UGA and took his spot, bottom line. All that situation tells us is that Evans was valued over Tank, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. 

Not sure why you're concerned with the commitment timeline of Milton mattering -- it doesn't. If you remember, Milton was originally planning on going the distance with his commitment just like Evans was. And as far back as when we didn't know Milton would be pushing up his timeline, it was already coming out that Milton was our staffs higher priority over Evans. 

I have to say again that we're getting into splitting-hairs territory here when picking one over the other; and that's kind of my point that we shouldn't just so easily hand Evans the title of top RB in this class -- not when our staff has CLEARLY indicated who they pushed the hardest for. 

This situation kind of reminds me when we recruited Marshall as the 5 star and Gurley as the 4 star. It won't surprise me at all if the bigger supposedly lower rated RB ends up having the better career than what is regarded as the supposed top RB in the class. This is not meant to disrespect Evans, not in the slightest. It's meant to slow the disrespect towards Milton, acting as if he isn't in the same tier as Evans. 

Edited by RandomFan

6 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

If Dell pulls this off then he has to be officially the greatest RB recruiter in UGA history 

you can say that again.. we get evans and milton and they run behind that oline we are bringing in?  OMG it's amazing. 

Two backs taken early by UGA......this could be the norm if recruits aren't afraid of sharing the spotlight. Two can be very successful on this team.

28 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

Two backs taken early by UGA......this could be the norm if recruits aren't afraid of sharing the spotlight. Two can be very successful on this team.

From a higher caliber back standpoint, it will probably be 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 alternating most years... may see us add in an extra body depending on transfer portal departures, injury problems, etc... Not likely to see 2 highly rated backs taken in 2021 if we land both Evans and Milton in 2020. Same reason that LSU isn't likely to pickup a big time back this cycle. 

Bdawg58 likes this

1 hour ago, fibonaccisquared said:

From a higher caliber back standpoint, it will probably be 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 alternating most years... may see us add in an extra body depending on transfer portal departures, injury problems, etc... Not likely to see 2 highly rated backs taken in 2021 if we land both Evans and Milton in 2020. Same reason that LSU isn't likely to pickup a big time back this cycle. 

I can see that. But two high caliber backs can definitely thrive at UGA. Not that many universities can pull that off. 

2 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

I can see that. But two high caliber backs can definitely thrive at UGA. Not that many universities can pull that off. 

Yes, just not in back to back classes... Thus the alternating classes of 2 & 1. Even with Zamir White's injury, the White/Cook class was challenging when pitching to 2019 RBs. I think we ended up getting a steal in Kenny Mc, but between that prior class and then the fear of Holyfield potentially returning around ESD, we just didn't have enough traction with a couple of the backs that we wanted. There will always be a threat of at least one back not going to the draft early, so have to anticipate that on every other cycle, that remains a risk.

Our OL certainly makes for an appealing opportunity for any RB. The Pitt boss is on another level recruiting elite talent.