In Addition To Benkert, Hags and Green Had To Leave The Field Thursday.

Tim Mazetti

Kurt Benkert, Marcus Green, and Ra’Shede Hageman all went down in this one.

By Dave Choate Aug 2, 2019, 9:00am EDT

The Falcons went through the kind of exhibition game you’d expect last night, full of sloppy play, the occasional brilliant play, and unfortunately some early injuries.

What we don’t know just yet is how severe any of these injuries are, but the team lost three potentially important reserves in the course of game action last night. They were, in no particular order:

The exit of Green game during a game where he was getting reps at returner and was likely looking to make an impact on offense but dropped one pass. Green is an intriguing player who figured to be a frontrunner for a final receiver spot and maybe one of the returner gigs, so a long-term injury could cost him that and open the door for others like Shawn Bane, Christian Blake, or Olamide Zaccheaus. We’ll hope he can return against the Dolphins.

The same is true of Kurt Benkert. Benkert saw a few drops and finished the night with 19/34 for 185 yards and a touchdown, against a 4/14 for 10 yards and an interception effort from Matt Schaub. That doesn’t mean too much but Benkert looked really sharp for the most part throwing to third-and-fourth string players, and if he can build on that he might just knock Schaub out of the job or latch on to a roster spot as the third quarterback. But that’ll depend on whether the toe issues winds up costing him multiple weeks, in which case the Falcons will have no choice but to go out and sign another QB. Let’s hope that’s not the case.

Hageman, meanwhile, is fighting for a job that will endure after his early season suspension is over. He flashed that trademark power and big first step at times on Thursday night, but defensive tackle is super crowded with useful players and an injury would put him at a distinct disadvantage. Like Green and Benkert, he really needs this to be a short-term injury, and not to sound like a broken record, but we’ll hope it is.

Updates should be forthcoming over the weekend and into early next week. Stay tuned!

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/8/2/20751486/falcons-injury-roundup-team-loses-three-players-against-denver-kurt-benkert-marcus-green
Edited by Tim Mazetti
Green not Miller.

2 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Hageman, meanwhile, is fighting for a job that will endure after his early season suspension is over. He flashed that trademark power and big first step at times on Thursday night, but defensive tackle is super crowded with useful players and an injury would put him at a distinct disadvantage.

Extremely unfortunate he sustained a groin injury. His first game back since preseason game in 2017 he was already pushing OL around with his brute power and quickness.  

I hope it’s not bad or something that lingers.

16 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Extremely unfortunate he sustained a groin injury. His first game back since preseason game in 2017 he was already pushing OL around with his brute power and quickness.  

I hope it’s not bad or something that lingers.

He has to serve his suspension anyway. That buys the team time to make a decision on him.

Slow your roll. In the NFL you are an injury away. We have good depth on the DL especially with Cominsky may be able to get minutes. Hags can't play until the 3rd regular season game anyway. Groins injuries are worrisome there is no telling what will happen before then. Lets have a wait and see stance with McKaleb, Benkert, Green and Hags I still believe all will help us before this 16 game season is over.

35 minutes ago, HouseofEuphoria said:

I thought it was 2? 

Oh well, he'd need the extra time now to heal anyway.

Hated those groin injuries since Abraham. They tend to linger all season.

I had a strain  and i couldn't run for two months.

Hags, as a world class athlete, will hopefully be ready when called upon later.

I think if Hageman can’t play enough so he can get back into his 2016 form which I felt was going to happen getting some extra snaps throughout preseason, it’s going to make it difficult for him to be able to take first two games off, then get back into game shape upon his return.

I think a nagging injury at this point to Davison, Cominsky or Hageman that had them out until game 3 of regular season could doom any of their chances at being big time contributors this year. 

Lets wait and see but groin injures can range from a slight tweak to a season long lingering issues and sometimes even require surgical procedures.

But this Benkert issue could be even worse if Ryan goes down a couple of games with anything. Benkert was looking good and was going to get a lot of playing time this preseason.  Very sad if he’s out the rest of preseason or longer.