There's going to be so much crow eaten about Vic Beasley this year

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

It def had A lot to do with all the tinkering they did with him. Plus the lack of stunts and twists compared to the 2016 campaign. The video sonebody posted in another thread of 2 guys talking about yesterday’s practice were talking about how good he’s looking and that they were working on a lot of twists and stunts. Also his rushes from 2 points stances and hand in the dirt. Me personally I don’t think he got lazy. I think between the injuries and the constant tinkering of his position and how they used him he lost confidence. That most definitely can happen when you go under a players hood too much instead of just letting him do what he does. I think his confidence is back and he seems to be taking to what quinn is doing and how he’s coaching him. I know he has it. I know it’s in him. And the hit he put on free in the backfield yesterday his swag is different. He’s moving with a pep in his step now. I think most will be pleasantly surprised this year from him. I won’t because I still expect him to be what I still believe he is. I haven’t lost my belief in him  but he needs to get it done. 

Bottom line: you don’t luck your way into 15.5 sacks and 1st team All Pro.  Not in the NFL.  They are simply too good at this level

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope you are right.  I love vic as a human, but as a 8th overall pick he hasn't exactly dazzled the NFL.

I love this team and I love this fan base, but we have a terrible tendency of severely underrating players due to specific struggles.  Say he was a one hit wonder in 2016 or that his success came

Meh. This is extremely easy to say after learning he will be used differently this season. End of the day he still has to produce.  Also, it shows how much you haven’t been around. **** near 95%

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Kazee was pretty quiet until preseason when it mattered. Dre and Debo got some love rookie year. Grady and Free i don't remember having anything about them, and Rico gets talked about every year for his interceptions that never translate to the field. 

All those guys had positive reviews in camp.  Even Kazee, who really didn’t play much rookie season, showed off his ball hawking.  Rico was moved off PS in 2015 and had great reviews from camp

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

For every Saubert you mention, there are 3-4 guys where reports say they look sharp in camp and the regular season proves it.   

Guys like  Kazee, Dre, Debo, Grady, Free, Rico...and hopefully this year we can include Cominsky, Lindstrom, McGary, Hill, Sheffield  etc.....

Expand this line of thinking to the entire league.  There are soooooooooooooo many players that show up "in the best shape of their life" and have "never looked better" or such and such rando player no one has ever heard of is "lighting up training camp" and "will be a name to watch" and they never amount to anything.  Every single year.  Preseason hype is just that...hype.  Sure, sometimes it pans out but I could build an entire roster on preseason warriors no longer in the league or struggling to stick to a roster.

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Bottom line: you don’t luck your way into 15.5 sacks and 1st team All Pro.  Not in the NFL.  They are simply too good at this level

I don't think he lucked into it.  I think the stars aligned for him to do so.

Even leading the league with 15.5 sacks...last time someone had that low of a sack total and lead the league was 2010 and only here and there before then going back several years.  That year was an outlier.

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

All those guys had positive reviews in camp.  Even Kazee, who really didn’t play much rookie season, showed off his ball hawking.  Rico was moved off PS in 2015 and had great reviews from camp

Eh maybe. Don't remember it. And Kazee didn't have any last year he was a surprise come preseason where he showed out.

And that's the point Rico had great reviews for interceptions and they've never shown up on the field.

3 minutes ago, athell said:

Expand this line of thinking to the entire league.  There are soooooooooooooo many players that show up "in the best shape of their life" and have "never looked better" or such and such rando player no one has ever heard of is "lighting up training camp" and "will be a name to watch" and they never amount to anything.  Every single year.  Preseason hype is just that...hype.  Sure, sometimes it pans out but I could build an entire roster on preseason warriors no longer in the league or struggling to stick to a roster.

Could probably have a whole ******* division.

Year Player Sk Tm
2018 Aaron Donald (27) 20.5 LAR
2017 Chandler Jones (27) 17.0 ARI
2016 Vic Beasley (24) 15.5 ATL
2015 J.J. Watt (26) 17.5 HOU
2014 Justin Houston (25) 22.0 KAN
2013 Robert Mathis (32) 19.5 IND
2012 J.J. Watt (23) 20.5 HOU
2011 Jared Allen (29) 22.0 MIN
2010 DeMarcus Ware (28) 15.5 DAL
2009 Elvis Dumervil (25) 17.0 DEN
2008 DeMarcus Ware (26) 20.0 DAL
2007 Jared Allen (25) 15.5 KAN
2006 Shawne Merriman (22) 17.0 SDG
2005 Derrick Burgess (27) 16.0 OAK
2004 Dwight Freeney (24) 16.0 IND
2003 Michael Strahan+ (31) 18.5 NYG
2002 Jason Taylor+ (28) 18.5 MIA
2001 Michael Strahan+ (29) 22.5 NYG
2000 La'Roi Glover (26) 17.0 NOR
1999 Kevin Carter (25) 17.0 STL
1998 Michael Sinclair (30) 16.5 SEA

Going back 20 years, outside of Vic doing it in 2016, only twice has it happened where the sack leader was below 16 sacks.  Outlier.

1 minute ago, athell said:

I think it’s because there are different level of players.  When reporters talk about Vic or Rico having strong camps, there is a baseline of comparison so I believe those reports.

The ones to be cautious about are training camp surprises.  Nobody expected much from them and they exceeded expectations in camp.  Doesn’t mean they are going to be NFL starters.    Meier, Saubert etc.  

People like Hill, Cominsky etc are in between those two levels

4 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Eh maybe. Don't remember it. And Kazee didn't have any last year he was a surprise come preseason where he showed out.

And that's the point Rico had great reviews for interceptions and they've never shown up on the field.

Rico also doesn’t get thrown at.  He is the least thrown at safety in football in 2016 & 2017.  That limits your INT possibilities.  Also shows he is rarely out of position

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

I think it’s because there are different level of players.  When reporters talk about Vic or Rico having strong camps, there is a baseline of comparison so I believe those reports.

The ones to be cautious about are training camp surprises.  Nobody expected much from them and they exceeded expectations in camp.  Doesn’t mean they are going to be NFL starters.    Meier, Saubert etc.  

Hill and Cominksy arent between those levels. They're with Saubert as well. What makes Cominsky above Saubert? Lol

Cominsky and Saubert are both small school athletic freaks who need work, one is a rookie while the other isn't. And Hill playing the entire HOF game shows me the coaching staff still needs to see more of him than others here seem to think. 

I get that, but at what point do you take the environment into context?  Practicing, in front of hundreds, against your own (familiar) teammates, in shells, no real scheming, no pressure vs. playing, in front of thousands, against dudes that want to make you look stupid, in full pads, against schemes designed to make you look stupid, 4th quarter of a close game opponent is driving and you need to close them out pressure...it's different.  I need a dude that shows up in the latter and not so much the former.  It's cool he is making waves in the former, but as I mentioned a ton of people make waves and then get released 30 days later.

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Hill and Cominksy arent between those levels. They're with Saubert as well. What makes Cominsky above Saubert? Lol

Cominsky and Saubert are both small school athletic freaks who need work, one is a rookie while the other isn't. And Hill playing the entire HOF game shows me the coaching staff still needs to see more of him than others here seem to think. 

Saubert was an oversized WR trying to transition to TE.  From the Senior Bowl, it was clear Cominsky belonged.  Even in Mobile his physicality stood out

Saubert was an oversized WR trying to transition to TE.  From the Senior Bowl, it was clear Cominsky belonged.  Even in Mobile his physicality stood out

No it didn't. He played well the few snaps he was at DT but got stonewalled at DE. 

Saubert came out of college a TE, he wasn't transitioning to anything when he got here.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

I get that, but at what point do you take the environment into context?  Practicing, in front of hundreds, against your own (familiar) teammates, in shells, no real scheming, no pressure vs. playing, in front of thousands, against dudes that want to make you look stupid, in full pads, against schemes designed to make you look stupid, 4th quarter of a close game opponent is driving and you need to close them out pressure...it's different.  I need a dude that shows up in the latter and not so much the former.  It's cool he is making waves in the former, but as I mentioned a ton of people make waves and then get released 30 days later.

Bottom line is it’s just practice.  We will know more by Week 8.  

But should we not acknowledge the players currently standing out in camp?  If not, there won’t be anything to talk about.  Guess we could talk CAP

Bottom line is it’s just practice.  We will know more by Week 8.  

But should we not acknowledge the players currently standing out in camp?  If not, there won’t be anything to talk about.  Guess we could talk CAP

I think we should.  I also think we need to guard ourselves from creating expectations from those acknowledgements.  

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I saw Cominsky beat McGary handily at DE

In practice maybe, show me where it happened in the game? **** he even gets throw off his feet here.

I don't care about 1on1 drills that favor the DL. I wanna see him do it in game. Show me where he was so physical here. I see a guy get stonewalled, thrown, and have a few plays at DT where he pushes his guy back.

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

In practice maybe, show me where it happened in the game? **** he even gets throw off his feet here.

I don't care about 1on1 drills that favor the DL. I wanna see him do it in game. Show me where he was so physical here. I see a guy get stonewalled, thrown, and have a few plays at DT where he pushes his guy back.

The goal line drills.

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

When you back up the preseason hype by getting a sack, a TFL, a fumble recovery, a QB hit and 5 tackles your first NFL action ever, you're doing about as well as you can as a rook in his first preseason.

4 minutes ago, athell said:

I think we should.  I also think we need to guard ourselves from creating expectations from those acknowledgements.  

Seriously this, Ito was here all last year and barely played in the HOF game but now Hill is gonna be the #2 back lol. To me they didn't play Ito as much because they know him and feel comfortable with him.