Ovie_Lover

Wins in preseason doesn't matter, points do

33 posts in this topic

I think this is a more valid take, especially in today's NFL. This is an offensive driven league. If you can't score, you'll be sitting at home come January, no matter how good your defense. If you can consistently put up 10-14 points in the the first, second, and fourth preseason game, the third, where your starters play the most, should easily put you in the 44 point range. 

24 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Good thing we get 5 games this year. #Quinning :tiphat:

I'm not gonna count that one this year lol. We got 70 in 2016.

54 in 17

27 in 18

sdogg likes this

Based on an assumption that the teams are trying to score. Falcons scored so little last year because Benkert played 75% of the snaps and was just awful.

40 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Based on an assumption that the teams are trying to score. Falcons scored so little last year because Benkert played 75% of the snaps and was just awful.

And we also missed the playoffs. Let me know when the numbers start changing man.

52 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

And we also missed the playoffs. Let me know when the numbers start changing man.

We didn't score any points in preseason because Benkert sucked last year.

We didn't make the playoffs because we lost 7 critical starters in first 2 weeks of the season.

Correlation does not equal causation. 

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

We didn't make the playoffs because we lost 7 critical starters in first 2 weeks of the season.

Agreed. Correlation is not causation. 

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Agreed. Correlation is not causation. 

If your depth cant score that's a sign your team isn't that good. 

Y'all wanna write it off without even thinking about it lol. 

dardan and sdogg like this

1 hour ago, Nobis_Ghost said:

Preseason is BS, the league should go to 18 games and screw scrimmage.

HeII they want to, but the players union has to be compensated first.

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

If your depth cant score that's a sign your team isn't that good. 

Y'all wanna write it off without even thinking about it lol. 

Falcons depth didn't score last because the QB that played 75% of the snaps sucked and because Quinn kept playing him because he wanted the kid to get the experience & wanted to keep Ryan and Schaub  healthy.

No, I have thought about it. And, it's the same nonsense as no team that was 0-4 in preseason  has ever won the super bowl. It's small sample size. 33 teams sounds like a lot until you realize that's 33 out a 1000 teams [over 34 years]. Also, if you read the comments on the reddit thread, author was mistaken and a few of those teams did well.

I'm just tired of our guys that are battling for rust spots, looking worse than the other teams guys battling for roster spots. Can for once our backups out play the other teams backups?  

at the chance of getting injured in a meaningless game? It's scrubball and is a waste of time. AND HoF inductees should be honored during the Super Bowl, not some BS, 4th string, end of July, crapfest.

22 hours ago, Nobis_Ghost said:

Preseason is BS, the league should go to 18 games and screw scrimmage.

Preseason serves a purpose though I don't think it needs to be 4 games.

As far as the 18 game season, personally think that's the real bs. 

They should have 2 preseason games.  Your starters can get some work in (quarter first game, first half 2nd game) and still have plenty of time for backups.  Really 3 games might be better but every game played has a potential for injuries, so I'm of the thought of cutting out more of those meaningless games (preseason) for safety reasons. 

Posted (edited)

I like it. 

If your Team can't score 44 points over the course of 4 games,  no matter who is playing,  there is either a fundamental flaw in your offense or in the coaching/development of players.  Makes sense to me. 

Edited by RubberDucky
sdogg likes this

I too agree that correlation does not imply causation, but in this case, it doesn’t matter.

The article is not trying to show why teams that score less than 44 points in the preseason struggle in the regular season, only that, since 1983, they have.  

8 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

I like it. 

If your Team can't score 44 points over the course of 4 games,  no matter who is playing,  there is either a fundamental flaw in your offense or in the coaching/development of players.  Makes sense to me. 

Fundamental flaw in the falcons offense last year was an rookie  UDFA QB taking 75% of the snaps and looking really bad.

Fundamental flaw in the falcons offense last year was an rookie  UDFA QB taking 75% of the snaps and looking really bad.

True enough, however we also were completely ineffective running the ball in every game except game 4.

IMO, last preseason showed us from the jump, that our run-blocking was lacking and that Freeman was crucial.