Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FalconsIn2012

TD: Julio Should Be Highest Paid WR

29 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Very solid post...

I agree. At the end of the day, it's a challenge but a competitive roster is still doable. On top of this, you have your most important pieces on both sides of the ball.

Free may be gone from sheer injury related concerns and we go RBBC anyway. More money there, etc.

To me, the key to doing it this way with having large contracts and aside from drafting well is the timing of signing the deals and building out the roster in increments of years. You can't do everything at the same time just because of the cap and the needs vs projections on a roster year to year. Hoping Brian HIll can salvage some of the 2017 draft after Duke, Harlow and Saubert so far...

34 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Very solid post...

Thanks, appreciate that. What's implied in that list is there's a plan for the cap too.

Replacing Mack worries me most. I know many people would probably lose it here on TATF, but, would not be surprised if they drafted a center with their first rounder next year. May be someone on the roster they're grooming. Gono?

16 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Thanks, appreciate that. What's implied in that list is there's a plan for the cap too.

Replacing Mack worries me most. I know many people would probably lose it here on TATF, but, would not be surprised if they drafted a center with their first rounder next year. May be someone on the roster they're grooming. Gono?

It would have to be a very good C and Mack would need to be gone; retiring or no extension/restructure allowing him to stay on at current 2020 hit.

I'm thinking they are gonna work out a plan there.

Lindstrom could be it in all honesty and then you'd have Jamon with experience starting at RG, plus Gono being groomed at all postions but I haven't seen him at C. I could see him being a swing tackle and taking over Schweitzer's job as the primary backup OG. Could replace Carpenter long-term at LG due to the age factor.

We definitely have more flexibility at OG as it stands moving forward; seeing as Ty is likely gone next offseason and the questions on Mack's future.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

Julio should be highest paying wide reciever in league gm and owner head coach still getting julio deal in order found out one of new orleans mutts aka saints gave their wide out 100million 

Once again I dont have to read this article to give my two cents. If I were to rank the top 5 WRs in the nfl is would be as follows.

1.Julio

2. Hopkins

3. Michael Thomas

4. Antonio Brown

5. Beckham.

Why are brown and beckham at the bottom of the top 5? Well because they changed cities at the first sign of trouble of course. They cause an incredible amount of distractions to the team they are on and they will never have the QB/WR connection Ryan and Julio have.

**** Brees is about to retire. Thomas probably isn't long for this world on that list with everyone behind him but Julio is going to be here in the ATL where he will probably break 2k yards one day.

Julio deserves to be the highest paid WR in the NFL because he performs at the highest level and is loyal.

18 hours ago, vel said:

This is Julio's argument, along with his lack of contract security. What you're showing is cap hit, not pay. Those aren't equal. Matt's salary is only $2.75MM for 2019, but his signing bonus in 2018 was $46.5MM and he got another signing bonus this summer for $8.75. So in the past two years, he's made $64MM in cash but his cap hits only total $33.5MM. 

That's fine and all with what you're saying. But one can say the exact same argument with what Julio received his first and second year. 

Either you have to accept that Ryan and many others should get a new contract, or realize this is stupid to not realize Julio was given the top contract. Because if you don't like a contract, don't sign it. Specially for someone like Julio. He could hold out right now, be traded to the niners and get a contract like Megatron with more money guarantee. 

14 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Typical sports fans mentality:

"I'd much rather have money in the owner's pocket than a star player help my favorite team win..."

I much rather retain other players on the team. We were forced to cut Alford and Bryant. Good players. 

Sure Bryant was getting old. But you can still count on him for hitting everything 45 or less 100% of the time. 

Reed was good at rotation. 

Alford was a very good player who refs were a jerk to. And Quinn loved that kidd. And I can vouch for that with events I went to take pictures of. 

And Schrader was meh. 

And who knows who else we might lose in all this. Sanu, future of Neal and etc guys. 

....... So it's not that anyone is saying Julio does not deserve it (he got the top contract at the time.). Nor is anyone here saying that we rather an owner save money instead of spend it. Because I wish there was no cap for Mr Blank, and he could lock everyone up and give Julio 25/year. 

45 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

That's fine and all with what you're saying. But one can say the exact same argument with what Julio received his first and second year. 

Either you have to accept that Ryan and many others should get a new contract, or realize this is stupid to not realize Julio was given the top contract. Because if you don't like a contract, don't sign it. Specially for someone like Julio. He could hold out right now, be traded to the niners and get a contract like Megatron with more money guarantee. 

No I don't. I really don't care that Julio wanted more money 2 years into a 5 year deal. I don't care if any NFL player tries to get the max he can. They have a really brief window to make their money and the CBA is severely tilted towards the teams.

I get it , you think what Julio did last year was wrong, so wrong you've been frothing at the mouth angry ever since. I don't care that you think it was wrong either. 

What happened last year? Julio missed OTAs, got 2 mil of his 2019 salary given to him in 2018, and then went out and had one of his best seasons ever. 

10 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Ok, a few things:

1. The Falcons DO have a championship caliber roster at this time even with “low cap space.”

2. Any time a person references the Patriots or Belichick to support their argument, they’re going to lose me. 

3. There is nothing about my post that’s ignorant. I’m going to make this as black and white as possible for you. Does Grady Jarrett help make this team better or worse? Keeping him helps this team. Letting him walk makes the team worse. As fans, we want one thing. To win NOW. Let’s worry about 2021 in 2021. It’s 2019, and this team is talented enough for a run. 

We have a championship level roster that still has huge question marks at defensive end and cb, and if you properly weight the value of linemen, we aren't even the most talented team in the NFC South. Post Julio's deal, we will become less talented as several players we also love rooting for will be let go, or not re-signed come contract time.

As for thr Patriots, getting annoyed by somebody mentioning the greatest football team of all time and how they do business doesn't bode well for your maturity. There is hating the successful and taking lesson from how they build a Superbowl-caliber roster year in and year out. Many of the things they do most teams wouldn't consider necessary, given they have the shady Tom Brady contract giving them so much freedom with the cap, but they do it anyway to make sure they can survive the seasons inevitable injuries and make it to the end.

And don't speak for all fans saying we only care about winning now, alot of things have to go right to win a Superbowl, many of us want as many legit cracks at the championship as possible, which means building a team that can be great for multiple years not just one.

I'd hate to hear your advice as a financial planner....

2 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

I much rather retain other players on the team. We were forced to cut Alford and Bryant. Good players. 

Sure Bryant was getting old. But you can still count on him for hitting everything 45 or less 100% of the time. 

Alford was a very good player who refs were a jerk to. And Quinn loved that kidd. And I can vouch for that with events I went to take pictures of. 

And Schrader was meh. 

And who knows who else we might lose in all this. Sanu, future of Neal and etc guys. 

....... So it's not that anyone is saying Julio does not deserve it (he got the top contract at the time.). Nor is anyone here saying that we rather an owner save money instead of spend it. Because I wish there was no cap for Mr Blank, and he could lock everyone up and give Julio 25/year. 

Or they can eliminate the cap and become like MLB where only 4 or 5 clubs spend money.  In the NBA they have the same thing. They do have a cap but teams can go over it and pay a luxury tax.  The NFL is the best model...

2 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

And Schrader was meh. 

Alford was horrible last year 

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Alford was horrible last year 

If the refs didn't call him for penalties like a mad man, he would be good. (I never said great, I said good). 

But that's all besides the point. My point was no one is saying for Arthur to keep money. And instead saying to retain and sign other medium players for depth. 

3 hours ago, FalconAge said:

We have a championship level roster that still has huge question marks at defensive end and cb, and if you properly weight the value of linemen, we aren't even the most talented team in the NFC South. Post Julio's deal, we will become less talented as several players we also love rooting for will be let go, or not re-signed come contract time.

As for thr Patriots, getting annoyed by somebody mentioning the greatest football team of all time and how they do business doesn't bode well for your maturity. There is hating the successful and taking lesson from how they build a Superbowl-caliber roster year in and year out. Many of the things they do most teams wouldn't consider necessary, given they have the shady Tom Brady contract giving them so much freedom with the cap, but they do it anyway to make sure they can survive the seasons inevitable injuries and make it to the end.

And don't speak for all fans saying we only care about winning now, alot of things have to go right to win a Superbowl, many of us want as many legit cracks at the championship as possible, which means building a team that can be great for multiple years not just one.

Well I’m not a financial planner so there’s that...and we are talking about football, not personal finances. Questioning my maturity because of my comment on the Patriots is pretty dumb. The reason I said that is because the Patriots are not something that can be replicated. They are in a very unique situation with the greatest combo of HC and QB ever. It’s MUCH easier for them to take risks. There’s a reason that the other 31 teams haven’t done what the patriots do. It’s not because they choose to do it wrong. It’s because it simply can’t be done. 

And lastly, when have the falcons under Dimitroff ever been in a cap crisis? 

2 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

If the refs didn't call him for penalties like a mad man, he would be good. (I never said great, I said good). 

But that's all besides the point. My point was no one is saying for Arthur to keep money. And instead saying to retain and sign other medium players for depth. 

I would rather retain Grady then keep 2 players past their prime. Pretty bad example you provided. 

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

No I don't. I really don't care that Julio wanted more money 2 years into a 5 year deal. I don't care if any NFL player tries to get the max he can. They have a really brief window to make their money and the CBA is severely tilted towards the teams.

I get it , you think what Julio did last year was wrong, so wrong you've been frothing at the mouth angry ever since. I don't care that you think it was wrong either. 

What happened last year? Julio missed OTAs, got 2 mil of his 2019 salary given to him in 2018, and then went out and had one of his best seasons ever. 

So it two different times you say you don't care. Yet you write a page about it? 

So do you want me to reply or not? 

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

I would rather retain Grady then keep 2 players past their prime. Pretty bad example you provided. 

Come on JD, the point is keeping and signing other players. That's all. Stop getting distracted on disagreeing with the details. 

10 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Come on JD, the point is keeping and signing other players. That's all. Stop getting distracted on disagreeing with the details. 

The details matter...if you’re going to use Alford and Bryant as your examples (like FalconAge used the Patriots as his), you’re going to lose me. What have the Falcons officially lost due to re-signing Grady and extending Julio? Give me something better than a CB who was one of the leagues worst last year and is currently signed by the worst team in the NFL. Give me something better than a 45 year old kicker that you claim is still excellent at the job but for some reason, is currently not signed by anyone right now....

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The details matter...if you’re going to use Alford and Bryant as your examples (like FalconAge used the Patriots as his), you’re going to lose me. What have the Falcons officially lost due to re-signing Grady and extending Julio? Give me something better than a CB who was one of the leagues worst last year and is currently signed by the worst team in the NFL. Give me something better than a 45 year old kicker that you claim is still excellent at the job but for some reason, is currently not signed by anyone right now....

Stop it JD. You’re destroying Mash’s false narrative. 

3 hours ago, FalconAge said:

This isn’t so much a financial planner issue as it is what players do you keep to win a championship now. Alf/Bryant are replaceable players, Julio’s not.

Financially planning is more about long-term. Falcons window will not stay open forever. 

And we aren’t the patriots. 

14 hours ago, falconidae said:

We need to draft D/edge next year...

They’re also grooming Wes to play C....he’s not near as bad as TAFT tries to portray him to be. Between Lindstrom and Carp/Brown he could do fine. 

25 minutes ago, Vandy said:

This isn’t so much a financial planner issue as it is what players do you keep to win a championship now. Alf/Bryant are replaceable players, Julio’s not.

Financially planning is more about long-term. Falcons window will not stay open forever. 

And we aren’t the patriots. 

Exactly. And the thing is, guys act like the falcons are just throwing money left and right like it’s irresponsible. You think TD and his staff aren't “financially planning” the future of the team? Why is Beasley not extended in that case? It’s because he’s not part of the long term plan, not because the Falcons “can’t afford him.” The team has a formatted plan on keeping players they feel are the toughest to replace/core of the team. Neal is very likely the next high priority. The same folks who criticize Beasley will be the same folks that use him as their primary argument against TD when he’s gone after this season

3 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

So it two different times you say you don't care. Yet you write a page about it? 

So do you want me to reply or not? 

I was under the impression this was a message board for the general public, not your personal I-hate-Julio forum.

So, does someone disagreeing with you trigger you like lists of well paid WRs do?

22 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

How so?? Like I pointed out earlier, Matt's cap hit over the next 4 years after this year will murder the team more than anyone else's. Why don't any of you bat an eye at that?

I hate all that money tied up on offense, so I don't like either contract.