Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FalconsIn2012

TD: Julio Should Be Highest Paid WR

27 minutes ago, Max Force said:

Bye bye cap space.

How so?? Like I pointed out earlier, Matt's cap hit over the next 4 years after this year will murder the team more than anyone else's. Why don't any of you bat an eye at that?

1 hour ago, caponine said:

Ok because you're one of my favorite posters on here. I wanna ask you something. Do you think paying him that amount of money will affect us in the future ?? 

2020 and I have debated this thoroughly in another thread.

To me I don’t think it affects our future because extensions like this will have had to be planned.To me this is what’s going on here.TD and co showing look we can get all these guys done.

Is the cap under strain yes it is,but in saying that look at the talent we are resigning.Its top tier drafted in-house talent.

If I’m a drafted guy coming out and ball out with the Falcons there sending a message that not only will we look after you we’ll compensate you accordingly.

Future will only be affected if we don’t do well in the draft and these guys get older and we don’t have the talent to replace it.Thats the key and it makes it easier to make these cuts when players are either past there due or a ready to be let go.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

There goes those **** Patriots again. @athell pray for me man

The Falcons said the 40-year-old Dimitroff will begin work immediately. The hiring came a day after the Patriots defeated Jacksonville in an AFC playoff game to improve to 17-0.

"I'm extremely excited to have the opportunity to become a part of the Atlanta Falcons organization," Dimitroff said. "I'm looking forward to working with Mr. Blank and Rich McKay, two highly respected men in the world of professional football."

Blank said he was grateful to Patriots owner Robert Kraft for allowing Dimitroff to leave while New England's season continued.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d805f5843/article/falcons-hire-patriots-dimitroff-as-general-manager

Image result for dimitroff and arthur blank

6 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

The Falcons said the 40-year-old Dimitroff will begin work immediately. The hiring came a day after the Patriots defeated Jacksonville in an AFC playoff game to improve to 17-0.

"I'm extremely excited to have the opportunity to become a part of the Atlanta Falcons organization," Dimitroff said. "I'm looking forward to working with Mr. Blank and Rich McKay, two highly respected men in the world of professional football."

Blank said he was grateful to Patriots owner Robert Kraft for allowing Dimitroff to leave while New England's season continued.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d805f5843/article/falcons-hire-patriots-dimitroff-as-general-manager

Image result for dimitroff and arthur blank

**** the Patriots

For all the 100 mil talk of Thomas' contract, it's nonsense. One, he has to play at an elite level last two years of his deal to earn the incentives that take it 100 mil, two, 61 mil guaranteed isn't so, there's 35 mil fully guaranteed  at signing, the other 26 mil in "guarantees" can disappear. It's really a 35 mil , 3 year deal.  Now, he'll probably get much more than that. But, at it's core, it's a 3 year deal.

Love to see the Falcons sign Julio to  deal with 40 mil fully guaranteed and have him be happy with that.

55 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

How so?? Like I pointed out earlier, Matt's cap hit over the next 4 years after this year will murder the team more than anyone else's. Why don't any of you bat an eye at that?

The difference is in how TD structured the contracts.  Julio’s 2015 contract was front loaded so the last 2-3 years looked like he was playing for under market value.  It isn’t really true.  He simply got his money early.

Since he converted 7 million to bonus, Ryan’s contract looks backloaded.  He is playing for under market value in 2018 & 2019 but the rest of the contract is inflated.

Julio’s next deal will likely have similar structure to Ryan’s

6 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Since the parameter of the deal has probably already been agreed to, I doubt that they gave up any negotiating leverage. Saying Julio is going to be the highest paid receiver in the NFL isn't really a revelation. We've all known that for some time.

Best post in this thread.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

To me TD saying this means they’ve been planning this and have scope to do this all along.I don’t think you come out and say this if you don’t.

I will say this and have said this for awhile now it puts innate pressure on the draft.With the salaries they are paying a few it puts absolute pressure on what they do on the mentioned.

The money can always be found.  That has never been the issue.  The cost of creating it is the concern.  We can clear $30,000,000 in a hurry next offseason by cutting Mack, Sanu, Free, Ty, Stocker, Schaub & Rico.  

3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Typical sports fans mentality:

"I'd much rather have money in the owner's pocket than a star player help my favorite team win..."

That is so willfully ignorant.

People who worry about the cap also might actually be concerned that such a large majority of the cap is tied up into so few players, we have no room to keep less flashy players who form the unsexy core of our team. Hooper, Campbell, Neal, Crawford, Sanu level players are always sacrificed when teams go this route, and you have to hold your breath with every injury because you have no quality depth and can't afford to sign anybody.

Only a team that bats .750 in the draft can hope to consistently patch holes with no cap space.

There is the business of fandom, and there is the business of championship roster construction.

Outside of Matt and Deion Jones, there is no way Bill Belichick allocates cap the way we have the past two years. Julio is a legend, but we will be paying him top receiver money banking that his play going forward at an advanced age will still be legendary, which history says is highly unlikely.

Spend every dollar Blank has, as long as we actually have a balanced roster than can survive a 19 game championship season.

Oh and just for the record I wanted to let Grady walk, not Julio.....

Edited by FalconAge

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

The money can always be found.  That has never been the issue.  The cost of creating it is the concern.  We can clear $30,000,000 in a hurry next offseason by cutting Mack, Sanu, Free, Ty, Stocker, Schaub & Rico.  

It’s still not the concern because a lot of what your releasing is already ready made replacements on the roster and we always have the draft.

Money isn’t the concern the draft is if you have a year or 2 where you miss then you’ll see what happens with the depth and injury aspect that could hamper the team.

29 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

It’s still not the concern because a lot of what your releasing is already ready made replacements on the roster and we always have the draft.

Money isn’t the concern the draft is if you have a year or 2 where you miss then you’ll see what happens with the depth and injury aspect that could hamper the team.

Some of it is.  But leadership is tough to replace.  If Sanu, Rico & Mack leave in one offseason, we lose 3 of our 5 primary leaders.

OT.  Saints put some tough escalators in MT’s contract.  Wonder if we do the same.

To get to $100 million, Thomas needs to do each of the following in 2021, 2022 and 2023: Catch 100 passes, gain 1,400 yards, score 12 touchdowns, and get to the playoffs.”

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Some of it is.  But leadership is tough to replace.  If Sanu, Rico & Mack leave in one offseason, we lose 3 of our 5 primary leaders.

It’s worse case scenario leadership isn’t a worry to me they got that ready made in Ryan Julio Debo & Jarrett.

What is a concern is injury and poor drafting.I can’t plan for the first mentioned but I just have to be on point in the draft it to me is so important and the salaries dished out to the mentioned magnify that.

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

They plan to do the same thing they did with Bryant and Alford, replacing them with Taveccio and Oliver.

Sanu is replaced by  Ridley

Free by Ito

Ty by McGary as a starter, Gono as a swing tackle

Schaub by Renkert

Not sure who they plan to have replace Mack, but I'm going with Lindstrum, maybe Schweitzer? . Think it's likely they extend Mack though.

Stocker is easily replaced

Do all that, you can keep Rico

Likewise, Sheffield replaces Tru, Cominsky replaces Vic[ not exactly, I know] , Ollison replaces Coleman,  Foye replaces Riley. There's a decent chance everyone from the 2018 draft is a starter in 2020.

Now, for example, with Free and Ito, they don't expect Ito to be as good as Free, but, if he's 75% as a good at  a tenth of the price, that's a good deal.

They have to keep drafting  well, but it's obvious they have a plan. 

Other thing to keep in mind is teams may have a really good idea what the new CBA is going to look like and are anticipating the cap taking a big jump forward.

23 minutes ago, falconidae said:

They plan to do the same thing they did with Bryant and Alford, replacing them with Taveccio and Oliver.

Sanu is replaced by  Ridley

Free by Ito

Ty by McGary as a starter, Gono as a swing tackle

Schaub by Renkert

Not sure who they plan to have replace Mack, but I'm going with Lindstrum, maybe Schweitzer? . Think it's likely they extend Mack though.

Stocker is easily replaced

Do all that, you can keep Rico

Likewise, Sheffield replaces Tru, Cominsky replaces Vic[ not exactly, I know] , Ollison replaces Coleman,  Foye replaces Riley. There's a decent chance everyone from the 2018 draft is a starter in 2020.

Now, for example, with Free and Ito, they don't expect Ito to be as good as Free, but, if he's 75% as a good at  a tenth of the price, that's a good deal.

They have to keep drafting  well, but it's obvious they have a plan. 

Other thing to keep in mind is teams may have a really good idea what the new CBA is going to look like and are anticipating the cap taking a big jump forward.

Very solid post...

2 hours ago, FalconAge said:

That is so willfully ignorant.

People who worry about the cap also might actually be concerned that such a large majority of the cap is tied up into so few players, we have no room to keep less flashy players who form the unsexy core of our team. Hooper, Campbell, Neal, Crawford, Sanu level players are always sacrificed when teams go this route, and you have to hold your breath with every injury because you have no quality depth and can't afford to sign anybody.

Only a team that bats .750 in the draft can hope to consistently patch holes with no cap space.

There is the business of fandom, and there is the business of championship roster construction.

Outside of Matt and Deion Jones, there is no way Bill Belichick allocates cap the way we have the past two years. Julio is a legend, but we will be paying him top receiver money banking that his play going forward at an advanced age will still be legendary, which history says is highly unlikely.

Spend every dollar Blank has, as long as we actually have a balanced roster than can survive a 19 game championship season.

Oh and just for the record I wanted to let Grady walk, not Julio.....

Ok, a few things:

1. The Falcons DO have a championship caliber roster at this time even with “low cap space.”

2. Any time a person references the Patriots or Belichick to support their argument, they’re going to lose me. 

3. There is nothing about my post that’s ignorant. I’m going to make this as black and white as possible for you. Does Grady Jarrett help make this team better or worse? Keeping him helps this team. Letting him walk makes the team worse. As fans, we want one thing. To win NOW. Let’s worry about 2021 in 2021. It’s 2019, and this team is talented enough for a run.