Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FalconsIn2012

TD: Julio Should Be Highest Paid WR

Falcons GM Wants to Make Julio Jones Highest-Paid Receiver in NFL

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff told NFL Network on Thursday that the team hopes to reach a deal with wide receiver Julio Jones that will top the record-setting five-year, $100 million contract extension that Michael Thomas signed with the Saints on Wednesday. 

Dimitroff said Atlanta wants to make Jones the highest-paid receiver in the league, a title that would dethrone Thomas.

"We know what Julio is in this league. We have a very good idea of approximately where he's going to be, which I won't share specifically," Dimitroff said. "The good thing is we've never been held by our owner to be limiting someone and we're very good with our football players here. We feel very proud of how we approach it."

He continued: "And again, where we approach it with Julio, we look at everything, of course. We believe that he should be the highest-paid player–sorry, I did not say player–the highest-paid receiver in the league. And I know he believes that. It's just how we're going to approach this and how we're going to get it done. I believe it's right around the corner, but I don't want know when it is."

Dimitroff added that the Falcons want Jones to play for the franchise "for the rest of his career, whatever that is."

Thomas's $100 million extension was the first nine-figure deal for a non-QB offensive player in NFL history and included a reported $61 million in guaranteed money. The Saints star now leads all receivers in annual average value, while Browns wideout Odell Beckham Jr.'s contract contains the most guaranteed money with $65 million. 

Atlanta has also negotiated extensions with linebacker Deion Jones and defensive tackle Grady Jarrett this offseason.

Jones tallied 1,677 receiving yards last season with eight touchdowns. He was taken by Atlanta with the No. 6 pick in the 2011 NFL draft.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/nfl/2019/08/01/falcons-gm-julio-jones-highest-paid-receiver-contract-extension

This team is downright goofy when it comes to maintaining negotiating position in public. So it isn't just Arthur Blank I guess.

And am I wrong for thinking that bad things happen when you have as many players as we do in the top 5 salary of their positions?

If this gets done, we will have to gut the middle of our roster. We will be just about the most top heavy team in recent NFL history.

Just like we experimented with having a college coach with no real NFL background run another man's playbook, we will be experimenting with putting all of our  championship eggs in a 4 person basket....

1 hour ago, FalconAge said:

This team is downright goofy when it comes to maintaining negotiating position in public. So it isn't just Arthur Blank I guess.

And am I wrong for thinking that bad things happen when you have as many players as we do in the top 5 salary of their positions?

If this gets done, we will have to gut the middle of our roster. We will be just about the most top heavy team in recent NFL history.

Just like we experimented with having a college coach with no real NFL background run another man's playbook, we will be experimenting with putting all of our  championship eggs in a 4 person basket....

I agree. I think this will be the last year for Tru and Vick B

1 hour ago, FalconAge said:

I do agree it’s odd for GM to be spouting off such things before contract is signed.

Julio Jones should of been got paid. Why do we have to drag our feet when it comes down to paying players. Unless you are a true hater, you know arguably Julio Jones is the best wide receiver in the game right now. Also we keep paying Matt Swab the deck to do absolutely nothing but look like Fred Sanford out there trying to throw a football. 

7 minutes ago, ATLPhil said:

Julio Jones should of been got paid. Why do we have to drag our feet when it comes down to paying players. Unless you are a true hater, you know arguably Julio Jones is the best wide receiver in the game right now. Also we keep paying Matt Swab the deck to do absolutely nothing but look like Fred Sanford out there trying to throw a football. 

Julio did get paid, 2 years before he started crying. He signed the second highest contract for his position at that time. And it was front loaded. 

So should we only be doing 2 year contracts when there is a top 5 player? 

6 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Julio did get paid, 2 years before he started crying. He signed the second highest contract for his position at that time. And it was front loaded. 

Oh my god can we not with this...again?  Ffs

1 hour ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

And he proceeded to completely outplay that contract. 

3 hours ago, FalconAge said:

I’m okay with having a few pillar guys on our team making a chunk of the money. If we continue to draft well we’ll be fine. 

3 hours ago, FalconAge said:

Since the parameter of the deal has probably already been agreed to, I doubt that they gave up any negotiating leverage. Saying Julio is going to be the highest paid receiver in the NFL isn't really a revelation. We've all known that for some time.

I love that our team shows true appreciation for our players and I'm sure that's appealing to players outside of the organization, but you gotta keep that a little closer to the vest. I guess if you already have an outline of what it's going to be and you just need to make it work, then I guess it doesn't affect negotiations. Julio is about to get broke off. I hope the guarantees are lower than Thomas'. He's a lot younger and Julio says every time he's asked about how long he will play "I'm year to year". That may not mean anything but it doesn't sound like a guy that wants to be Jerry Rice or Tony Gonzalez as far as years in the league go. 

16 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Just so it's crystal clear, these are TD's words. Not Julio's. Just want to make sure that's clear before he is accused of saying those words when he hasn't

I'm sure Julio believes he deserves to be the highest paid, if he believes he's the best receiver in the league, which I think he does. But that doesn't mean it's important to him for it to happen. But it probably will lol. It would be insane if Julio Jones played for 9.5 million this year lol. That last contract was a steal. 

7 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

I'm sure Julio believes he deserves to be the highest paid, if he believes he's the best receiver in the league, which I think he does. But that doesn't mean it's important to him for it to happen. But it probably will lol. It would be insane if Julio Jones played for 9.5 million this year lol. That last contract was a steal. 

I’m sure he does. I mean why wouldn’t he. Think back. Before Roddy held out Larry Fitzgerald signed a record deal at the time. Roddy was doing an ESPN interview and they mentioned Fitz contract and Roddy said, “so that’s what the top receivers are making now”. Next thing you know he held out. 

The best are always going to think it. People with a little common sense know it. Players outplay contracts all the time. It’s just a matter of who makes the first move when it comes to adjusting those numbers. I just find it hilarious how people can ***** about a player wanting to be paid his worth but say nothing when a player is let go. How can you tell a player to honor a contract when teams say screw contracts every year and not a word is spoken other than “it’s just business”. **** that. 

6 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I’m sure he does. I mean why wouldn’t he. Think back. Before Roddy held out Larry Fitzgerald signed a record deal at the time. Roddy was doing an ESPN interview and they mentioned Fitz contract and Roddy said, “so that’s what the top receivers are making now”. Next thing you know he held out. 

The best are always going to think it. People with a little common sense know it. Players outplay contracts all the time. It’s just a matter of who makes the first move when it comes to adjusting those numbers. I just find it hilarious how people can ***** about a player wanting to be paid his worth but say nothing when a player is let go. How can you tell a player to honor a contract when teams say screw contracts every year and not a word is spoken other than “it’s just business”. **** that. 

Yeah, none of us would look over at a less productive co-worker that makes twice as much as us and say "that's fine, as long as the company does good." I don't necessarily like the guys that don't show up but they don't all have the same relationship with the team where they can trust it will get done. I mean, Julio Jones made more money on his rookie deal than I'll make in my life, most likely, but they still only have so long to make this money. And they want their family to be set for a long time as well. It's not just about them. Julio is, or at least should be, the kind of guy everyone wants to get his money because of the way he conducts himself. 

4 hours ago, FalconAge said:

Couldn't agree more. But, you have to give TD and the FO credit for successfully drafting us into this issue. I'm willing to bet it's an issue the majority of other teams would love to be in.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

I do agree it’s odd for GM to be spouting off such things before contract is signed.

Seems like complete candor ~ no need to hedge or beat around the bush on the situation. The organization believes he's the best WR in the league and they want to reward him for it by making him the highest paid.

I don't know how they're going to do it, but it looks like they're going to try and get it done since they've said so "on the record."

1 hour ago, sandtrap said:

And he proceeded to completely outplay that contract. 

So he was paid the top contract for a WR at the time. But because others signed contracts that averaged better for 2018. That means he's justified in making more? 

So should Ryan say he should make more? He's performed better, and there's other QB that at making more than him this year..... He's barely in the top 20

https://ibb.co/8B52XSv

Screenshot-20190802-113136-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20190802-113136-Chrome.jpg
image uploader

Edited by mashburn*Fibonacci

3 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Facts !!! Never stop being you man. You always speak the truth whether people want to hear it or not. I agree with you wholeheartedly on this.