Preseason doesn't matter...

...and the HOF game may be the worst game to care about but I'll be honest and say I will be a bit disappointed if we don't win tonight.  I feel like this is about the deepest AF team I've seen.  It's their guys, their recruiting, their development, their "simple" plan versus ours.  I feel like if we lose, some part of our team is not working the way it should.  I tried to do a poll but it errored twice so, I'll just make a topic.

Edited by Monolith2001

Nah pre season does not matter at all. Your scheme is 75% of the team. So if you're not using a scheme and gameplanning, it doesn't matter. You can't say it's vanilla vs vanilla so it's even cause that doesn't mean anything. Also the most important position on the whole team is our best asset (Matt Ryan) who won't be playing. That alone makes it not matter

I have never cared about the final score of a preseason game. However, I have been disappointed by first-team performances at times. For me, it's just getting a look at the new guys, and the guys fighting for a roster spot. I hardly ever see a PS game in its entirety, because they all tend to get sloppy halfway through. So, here's to seeing the future stars, some good plays, and no injuries.

Some parts of PS is good because you can look at some unsung players in gametime situations. With injuries that can happen within minutes you have to build quality depth to get through a 16 game NFL season. PS is a great stage however I do fret 5 pre season games affords the opportunity for players to get hurt. TD did a good job building this roster on paper. But already McKaleb, Bennett etc injuries have popped up. We gotta find out who can replace those guys. PS is the place to do it.

17 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

LOL.  I'm certainly willing to take an L cause that's life but there is no universe where my team would take a beatdown like that an not care...even in the most meaningless game you could play.

It really wouldn’t bother me. It doesn’t matter and I’ve seen enough from Quinn, Ryan, etc. to know that the performance in the preseason means nothing. On the flip side, I wouldn’t get upbeat and riled up if we won 49-0 either 

22 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I am not concerned with whether we win or lose either, especially because so many key players won't be playing. However, I am concerned with seeing if we have finally put a roster together that has a little bit of depth.

Yessir, bottom of the roster is my focus, so indeed worth watch, as opposed to some of the backups trotted out last few (forever) years

11 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

It really wouldn’t bother me. It doesn’t matter and I’ve seen enough from Quinn, Ryan, etc. to know that the performance in the preseason means nothing. On the flip side, I wouldn’t get upbeat and riled up if we won 49-0 either 

Exactly. The outcome isn't my concern one bit. No one gets hurt, the true depth looks good and I'm good. 

15 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Fair enough.  Different thinking.  Every year we waive away preseason and with it concerns of depth.  No doubt we have a nice 1st string and have for years but last year showed me that you can't take for granted that the stars will play and we need to know we got guys who can competently fill in.   That's why it matters more to me. 

Winning is good. Losing bites. I don't read anything into a preseason win or loss...but I unapologetically like it when they win.

That said, I suspect the Broncos will win. Quinn's teams in Atlanta have been defined by their inconsistency, both within games and over the course of a season. That doesn't get better with practice squad wannabees taking a majority of the snaps.

Still...I like winning real good. Yup!

2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

...and the HOF game may be the worst game to care about but I'll be honest and say I will be a bit disappointed if we don't win tonight.  I feel like this is about the deepest AF team I've seen.  It's their guys, their recruiting, their development, their "simple" plan versus ours.  I feel like if we lose, some part of our team is not working the way it should.  I tried to do a poll but it errored twice so, I'll just make a topic.

I’ll only care if there are injuries.  I feel TC practice is more important for the starters than the preseason games

2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

Dude like you said it doesn’t matter ......regardless depth or no depth. It’s a glorified practice. Don’t waste your time on a poll....just watch the game

Edited by Atl Falcon

29 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Dude like you said it doesn’t matter ......regardless depth or no depth. It’s a glorified practice. Don’t waste your time on a poll....just watch the game

:D I didn't say it didn't matter just that HOF is the least important.  I think it does matter, just not in terms of wins and losses.  If we lose, it means we were either less capable, less prepared and or less precise in execution.  It will be a valuable learning opp regardless but like I said, this is seems like really good depth and I expect them to win.   I'd call it a glorified scrimmage but guys will be playing for something and trying to make a name for themselves in a way you typically would never see at practice...unless someone wants to be that guy.   Watching and enjoying the game or making a poll is an activity separate from how I feel about the outcome.  A more interesting poll would be how many people say they don't care just to keep expectations low.