ATLBrave

Reds @ Braves

744 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Ah yes.. the winning in spite of argument..

Better than the..

hEs GoOd WiTh ThE yOuNg PlAyErs

8 hours ago, Malachore said:

Better than the..

hEs GoOd WiTh ThE yOuNg PlAyErs

There is something to be said for his ability to manage the clubhouse. If you don't have a good clubhouse or chemistry you're useless. Just look at the Nationals last few years with Harper. Look at the Phillies now. Snitker doesnt make the best decisions and I think we could do better with management but his ability to get the players respond is impressive. That said, I do think Washington could do the same if we ever did decide to move on from Snitker.

Falconsfan567 likes this

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

There is something to be said for his ability to manage the clubhouse. If you don't have a good clubhouse or chemistry you're useless. Just look at the Nationals last few years with Harper. Look at the Phillies now. Snitker doesnt make the best decisions and I think we could do better with management but his ability to get the players respond is impressive. That said, I do think Washington could do the same if we ever did decide to move on from Snitker.

Players managers are lot easier to come by than an actual game manager IMO.

The reasoning that he he is good because the players like him and because he won MOTY is bad reasoning. You are right it could be worse but I don't think I can name 10 worse. He is easily in the bottom half.

29 minutes ago, Malachore said:

The reasoning that he he is good because the players like him and because he won MOTY is bad reasoning. You are right it could be worse but I don't think I can name 10 worse. He is easily in the bottom half.

Shoot

Malachore likes this

51 minutes ago, Malachore said:

When they let Gonzalez go, the combination I wanted in the dugout was Ron Washington and Mike Maddux:

Image result for ron washington and mike maddux

sdogg likes this

Something that was in my head last night that I'd like to get off my chest about analytics...

Analytics aren't about like John Smoltz becoming a closer for a few years after starting for a while. They're more like these examples:

"Why do you throw this pitch so much? It works terribly for you, let's scrap that pitch and have you throw more of XYZ pitch to help improve how you pitch."

Using openers when you don't like how your pitching for the day shapes up (now THIS, is something that is hard to twist Snitker into doing, he only really can agree to do it in a situation like the playoffs).

Trying to fix mechanics.

We've done the first thing a fair amount. Like I said yesterday, we actually wanted Greene last offseason because we were going to tell him to throw his cutter more (well, he did so while in Detroit).

All this is to come to one point, as much as y'all whine and cry about Folty's body language and his antics, the story with him is not his body language and antics hurting him. The story with him is he's not a major leaguer without his slider, period, he's not like Josh Hader in that he'd dominant as a closer while simply gassing up people. If he has his slider back, and it's been looking good of late, then he needs to start and Gausman needs to leave the rotation. As much as the closer spot might feel uncomfortable, if Gausman is giving up 5-6 runs a pop, it's tough even if we're clicking on offense.

1 hour ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Something that was in my head last night that I'd like to get off my chest about analytics...

Analytics aren't about like John Smoltz becoming a closer for a few years after starting for a while. They're more like these examples:

"Why do you throw this pitch so much? It works terribly for you, let's scrap that pitch and have you throw more of XYZ pitch to help improve how you pitch."

Using openers when you don't like how your pitching for the day shapes up (now THIS, is something that is hard to twist Snitker into doing, he only really can agree to do it in a situation like the playoffs).

Trying to fix mechanics.

We've done the first thing a fair amount. Like I said yesterday, we actually wanted Greene last offseason because we were going to tell him to throw his cutter more (well, he did so while in Detroit).

All this is to come to one point, as much as y'all whine and cry about Folty's body language and his antics, the story with him is not his body language and antics hurting him. The story with him is he's not a major leaguer without his slider, period, he's not like Josh Hader in that he'd dominant as a closer while simply gassing up people. If he has his slider back, and it's been looking good of late, then he needs to start and Gausman needs to leave the rotation. As much as the closer spot might feel uncomfortable, if Gausman is giving up 5-6 runs a pop, it's tough even if we're clicking on offense.

Houston already tried Folty as a RP and it went pretty bad. He was a rookie then but he did get lit up. I'd give it a try just to see what happens before I cut him loose but you're right. If he finds his stuff again hes a starter. We witnessed what hes capable of last year with effective pitches. 

Right-hander Kevin Gausman is headed to the Cincinnati Reds, sources tell ESPN. He was claimed off waivers from the Atlanta Braves. The 28-year-old has one more season remaining until he hits free agency following 2020 though could be a non-tender candidate this winter.

5 minutes ago, JDFIII said:

Welcome back to the rotation Folty.

Let me enjoy the Gausman release for a second before you ruin it!!!

sdogg likes this

Just now, ATLBrave said:

Doing it soon! Sorry, got swamped at work.

Cool!! No problem just wondering

18 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Spoiler alert, Camargo is still playing SS today. Joyce is the DH. 

Ugh!!