10 Camp Takeaways

Love what I’ve been hearing about our rookies in the secondary, Cominsky & our 4-7 wide receivers.

Falcons 2019 training camp: 10 biggest storylines after four days

matthew-tabeek-headshot

Matt Tabeek

DIGITAL MANAGING EDITOR

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. – The Falcons players are enjoying a day off and Friday and it’s worth looking at the biggest storylines following the first four-day block of AT&T Atlanta Falcons Training Camp.

When camp kicked off on Monday, it definitely had what Dan Quinn referred to as a “family reunion” kind of feel to it as some familiar faces were back on the practice fields, including safeties Keanu Neal and Ricardo Allen. Both missed the majority of the 2018 season due to season-ending injuries, and it was unclear whether they’d be ready for camp.

RELATED CONTENT

Julio Jones and Deion Jones were also camp participants right off the bat, too. Both are coming back from foot injuries and the Falcons’ star wideout is easing his way back into a full-go (more on that below).

So, without further ado, let’s jump right in.

10. Young receivers catching people’s attention

When Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu and Calvin Ridley are taking reps in practice, it’s tough to get noticed or, dare I say, stand out. But that’s exactly what Russell Gage, Devin Gray, Christian Blake, Kahlil Lewis and Marcus Green have done during the first block of camp.

Gage carried his offseason momentum into camp, running a nice curl route against starting corner Desmond Trufant on Monday. On Tuesday, Gray beat Atlanta’s defense right down the middle catching a home-run touchdown pass. Green flashed, getting the best of rookie Kendall Sheffield during 7-on-7 drills. Lewis torched Ryan Neal deep on a one-on-one drill, two days after he made a nice sideline grab over a defender.

9. Falcons secondary steals the show on Day 4

The Falcons defensive backs and receivers went head-to-head in man-on-man passing drills Thursday and it was … intense, to put it mildly. As you’d expect, players were competing (some for a roster spot) – and there’s was plenty of jersey grabbing, contact and even some trash talking.

The usual playmakers stood out. Damontae Kazee picked off a pass and also made a couple of pass break-ups during an 11-on-11 drills. Trufant also made a handful of pass break-ups.

But it’s the play of some of the rookie draft picks, specifically Jordan Miller and Kendall Sheffield, that had to be encouraging for a defensive unit that slipped in several statistical categories in 2018. Both Miller and Sheffield have stood out at times, making plays on the ball and hauling in interceptions.

8. Rookie John Cominsky takes reps with starters

When breaking down John Cominsky’s skill sets, Dan Quinn noted how the rookie’s combination of length and speed will allow him to play both inside and outside along the defensive line.

For the rest, click: https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-2019-training-camp-10-biggest-storylines-after-four-days

Just now, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I stopped reading this guy's articles a long time ago.  Never seems to truly critique the team, and its moves.  Just a rah, rah, yes man. Can't believe a word of his biased opinions. #Terrible  Don't @ me! :lol:

I am the author of the article.  You’re dead to me.  

14 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I’m sure you could mold plastic in such a way that it would sharpen iron

So steel or iron is 4.5 on the mohs scale and according to this website plastics are a 1.  But who knows?  Plastics can be made to resist all types of things. They both have different t inherent properties so it’s hard to compare materials. But it hardend and shaper Like a spear it could be formidable. 

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I am the author of the article.  You’re dead to me.  

That's fine. I just got tired of the rah, rah stuff.  I like truth, and if my team isn't meeting the mark, I want some honest critiques.  Not asking for a smackdown, but some truth would be nice. I realize you are paid by the Falcons, so you probably have to say what you say, but I don't have to read it.  

Really going to keep my eye on Comminsky. Funny with the improved depth Im looking forward to watching whole game, as opposed to some of the scrubs in last few years just became unwatchable.

Hope Benkardt gets decent  time to throw to these young receivers tonite

13 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

That's fine. I just got tired of the rah, rah stuff.  I like truth, and if my team isn't meeting the mark, I want some honest critiques.  Not asking for a smackdown, but some truth would be nice. I realize you are paid by the Falcons, so you probably have to say what you say, but I don't have to read it.  

I was joking, bro