Goober Pyle

Why can’t Matt Ryan get any respect?

93 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

We all know his on field performance would be enough even with out a ring. But he would have to get over the perception problem in HOF voting.

70K and 500 will get him over the perception problem. That would be minimum top 5 and probably top 3 in both categories.

Posted (edited)

52 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

No you don’t. Not necessarily. You may not have the blocking personnel for a run because you have 4 wr’s on the field and the defense can stop a run in that situation. 

Im not finished.  I went back and looked at that crap for about the 10th time.  On first and 10 with 4:11 to go after Julio won the game with that catch,  the Falcons ran a silly *** toss play AWAY from the strong side.  The Patriots ate that up for a one yard loss like they was suppose to. On second and 11 from the Patriots 23 yard line the Falcons had TWO backs in the backfield.  Freeman and Shanahan ran the tight end back there for protection.  DEAD GIVEWAY that they was passing the ball.  The middle of the Patriot defense was WIDE OPEN for a check down draw because the Patriots were coming with the blitz.  Its as if the Falcons were SCRIPTING bad plays FOR the Patriots.  The crap is wrong and either Ryan is the dumbest quarterback ever,  Shanahan is the dumbest coordinator ever or the crap was scripted to fail.  Its plain as day which is why the internet blew up with conspiracy talk...  Back to the play.  Now that the Patriots KNOW they are gonna pass, what does Shanahan do?  He runs Freeman OUT OF THE BACKFIELD and what do the Patroits do.  They sack Ryan for a HUGE LOSS like they was suppose to do.  Third down they still in field goal range but the short pass to Sanu is wiped out by the holding on Matthews.  Shouldn't even have BEEN in that situation.  NO excuse for this.  I been watching football since 1972 and its the dumbest, most ignorant play calling I ever seen in that situation...

Edited by slickgadawg

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Often, short of calling timeout, you are stuck with the 2 plays Shanny sent in

@TheFatboi  Care to elaborate 

you better call fatboi cause I'm gonna eat them plays up...:lol:

Super bowl rings don't matter. Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton, Warren Moon, Dan Marino are in the Hall of Fame. Matt's numbers are better or will be than theirs.

Matt's problem is he is sandwiched between the class of 2004 and the post 2010 QBs who have done well. He also happens to be playing in the era when great QBs are playing into their 40s. He is compared to Brady, Brees, Peyton, etc. Which isn't fair to him. There is no QB from his era 2008-2012 that even comes close to him, but that doesn't matter. He's so good he is only compared to the elite of the past fifteen years. 

Geneaut likes this

8 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Super bowl rings don't matter. Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton, Warren Moon, Dan Marino are in the Hall of Fame. Matt's numbers are better or will be than theirs.

Matt's problem is he is sandwiched between the class of 2004 and the post 2010 QBs who have done well. He also happens to be playing in the era when great QBs are playing into their 40s. He is compared to Brady, Brees, Peyton, etc. Which isn't fair to him. There is no QB from his era 2008-2012 that even comes close to him, but that doesn't matter. He's so good he is only compared to the elite of the past fifteen years. 

Image result for jordan laughing gif

Big_Dog and Stray Dog THA GAWD like this

11 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Image result for jordan laughing gif

Show me the Hall of famer who got in just because they have super bowl rings.

5 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Ryan was bad in the Giants and Packers playoff losses.  That’s it.  He was average in Philly & Arizona.  Every other appearance has been elite by any stat or metric.

So 6/10 playoff performances were as good as it gets at the QB position.  My only negative on Ryan is he tends to take sacks at the worst possible times

Matt sucked in that game, but he (and the rest of the team) was completely and utterly failed by Mike Mularkey, who practically already had both feet out the door.

I will forever pin that blame on MM.

1 hour ago, Tim D'White Shoes Johnson said:

The only QB in the last decade that could walk into the HOF without a ring is Peyton Manning: he gave opposing fans bubble-guts on game days; but even he stayed long enough to win one just to be on the safe side... The gift in Denver doesn't count lol. /JK

Probably so. Maybe Brady too. Manning took way too long to run plays.  

7 hours ago, octoslash said:

I'll tell you why:  

He doesn't trash talk, or throw his teammates under busses, he doesn't dress like a clown, he doesn't shove security guards, he doesn't drive a jewel-incrested Hummer (I don't think) he doesn't hang out throwing twenties at strippers, he doesn't give the media anything they can use to mock him.   And he plays for a team located in Atlanta, so the I-95 and east coast media sewer rats automatically take every opportunity they can to knock him down.  The northern media think everybody down here is a toothless brew chugging incester.   

-

Because he's a scoop of vanilla in a sprinkles-obsessed sugar-cone world. 

LOL precisely.  

octoslash likes this

25 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Show me the Hall of famer who got in just because they have super bowl rings.

I can show you one that played during the Ryan years thats gonna get in...

Image result for eli manning superbowl trophy

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

25 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

Matt sucked in that game, but he (and the rest of the team) was completely and utterly failed by Mike Mularkey, who practically already had both feet out the door.

I will forever pin that blame on MM.

We weren’t beating them regardless

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

I can show you one that played during the Ryan years thats gonna get in...

Image result for eli manning superbowl trophy

He's got 50,000 yards and 360 TDs. Less than 8 other players have that. Eli's a shoo in. 

Jim Plunkett has two rings. He isnt in.

Geneaut likes this

10 minutes ago, Jesus said:

He's got 50,000 yards and 360 TDs. Less than 8 other players have that. Eli's a shoo in. 

Which brings this conversation right back to the beginning.  Eli is not a shoo in because of the passing yardage, he is a shoo in because of the two rings and even then he still has critics.  Now, I agree that if you can put those other quarterbacks in who have big yardage but no rings, then Ryan deserves to go.  What his critics are looking at is in TODAY'S NFL, quarterbacks are SUPPOSE to put up big yardage because of the rule changes and the emphasis on passing the ball.  Today's 5,000 yard season is equivalent to yesterday's 3,000 yard season, so thats why they are eiffy on him.  If Ryan goes without a ring then Matthew Stafford goes.  Ryan is average 4200 passing yards a season.  Stafford is averaging 3800 yards a season.  Ryan HAS to get a ring to tilt it like Eli Manning did...

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

57 minutes ago, Jesus said:

A little trivia: both of Jim Plunkett's parents were blind.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, octoslash said:

I'll tell you why:  

He doesn't trash talk, or throw his teammates under busses, he doesn't dress like a clown, he doesn't shove security guards, he doesn't drive a jewel-incrested Hummer (I don't think) he doesn't hang out throwing twenties at strippers, he doesn't give the media anything they can use to mock him.   And he plays for a team located in Atlanta, so the I-95 and east coast media sewer rats automatically take every opportunity they can to knock him down.  The northern media think everybody down here is a toothless brew chugging incester.   

-

Because he's a scoop of vanilla in a sprinkles-obsessed sugar-cone world. 

What respected QB's do this kind of stuff, besides Big Ben who throws teammates under the bus??

Edited by zekeyboy1

Just now, zekeyboy1 said:

Wow. What repected QB's does this stuff, besides Big Ben who throws teammates under the bus??

The comment was really more geared towards media then it was other quarterbacks.

The Iceman has my respect x 10.

Look I’ve been a Falcon fan since the dreadful late 70s and 80s. I remember the Billy Joe Tollivers and Jeff Georges. Outside of that, Chris Chandler, the great Bartkowski, and of course Vick I can’t even remember in THIRTY PLUS years the names of any of the non-throwing mannequins we’ve had under center. MVP2 has been far and away the best quarterback we’ve ever had period.

People seem to forget those first five or so seasons when he arrived when we won 9-10 games that we wouldn’t have won half of them (maybe more) w/o Ryan’s 4th quarter heroics. And that’s with defenses that were perennial bottom feeders. 

So let the haters hate and continue doing you Iceman...I can’t wait til they all have to bow down and ACT like they knew you were the man when you become the man.

GO FALCONS!!!

Matt gets respect. The only problem is he is no Tom Brady. He's still a decent QB.

Ryan $100 million!!!

Brady $14  million !

Think about it guys.

38 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Which brings this conversation right back to the beginning.  Eli is not a shoo in because of the passing yardage, he is a shoo in because of the two rings and even then he still has critics.  Now, I agree that if you can put those other quarterbacks in who have big yardage but no rings, then Ryan deserves to go.  What his critics are looking at is in TODAY'S NFL, quarterbacks are SUPPOSE to put up big yardage because of the rule changes and the emphasis on passing the ball.  Today's 5,000 yard season is equivalent to yesterday's 3,000 yard season, so thats why they are eiffy on him.  If Ryan goes without a ring then Matthew Stafford goes.  Ryan is average 4200 passing yards a season.  Stafford is averaging 3800 yards a season.  Ryan HAS to get a ring to tilt it like Eli Manning did...

Stafford has 1 year less time in the league, and is 8200 yards and 60 TDs behind Ryan, while having a sub 500 winning % for his career and is 0-3 in the playoffs.  There's no way you can consider that as a budding HOF record.

Assuming reasonable health, Ryan is going to end up with 70K yards and around 500 TDs. If he plays well into his 40s, he may have the most passing yards ever. Most TDs ever too. Even without a ring, that gets him in.

Ryan has 6000 more yards than Brees did at 11 years. Think it's possible for Ryan to overtake him in yards by the end of his career.

Geneaut and VTCrunkler like this

Posted (edited)

Maybe its not because of Matt. Maybe its because of the team he is on..kind of like they rarely give mvps to someone on a losing team..

Maybe cause the Falcons dont win nobody is paying attention to him...

Edited by Ghost_02

19 hours ago, Big_Dog said:

Matt gets respect. The only problem is he is no Tom Brady. He's still a decent QB.

Ryan $100 million!!!

Brady $14  million !

Think about it guys.

:wtf: Makes Ryan that much more valuable?

Everyone is about who looks good in commercials and this guy is boring as heck, may not be fair but it is what it is.

One of the most annoying arguments against Matt is that he’s only good cuz of his weapons. But like Richard Sherman said, “What great QB doesn’t have great receivers?” Montana and Young literally played with the GOAT. Brady has Welker and Moss, as well as Gronk. Peyton has too many to name. All those guys had good or even great o-lines and defenses at some point. This is the most ridiculous argument anyone can make. 

On 8/1/2019 at 1:59 PM, slickgadawg said:

The point is you are not running to gain yards. You are checking out of a play that can take you out of field goal range.  Thats exactly what happened.  The point is to STAY in field goal range...

I'm starting to cry a little...:(