Will preseason 2019 vs 2018 vs 2016 Matter

manfam

Compare the preseason record last year vs 2016 preseason.  We were 3-1 in preseason 2016, when we went to the super bowl and 2018 preseason we lost every game.  With that being said, in my mind the baseline of the season seems to matter with the preseason.  We were getting from 10-13 points the first half of every game we won in the 2016 preseason. Thoughts.

preseasonfalcons.JPG.6945eb00a496ae5d419c68e1ed114446.JPG

Here we go again, the annual "preseason records translate to regular season success" arguments...

The 0-16 Lions were 4-0 in the preseason. That's how much it correlates. If us going 0-4 last year in the preseason was the reason the entire defense got hurt, then I hope we don't 0-4. But it's not. 

6 minutes ago, vel said:

Here we go again, the annual "preseason records translate to regular season success" arguments...

The 0-16 Lions were 4-0 in the preseason. That's how much it correlates. If us going 0-4 last year in the preseason was the reason the entire defense got hurt, then I hope we don't 0-4. But it's not. 

Well the Falcons went 0-4 during the 2017 preseason to.  I'm not sure what injuries we had then.

10 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Preseason matters a great deal, preseason records don't matter at all.

^^^ THIS!

It matters because you need to find the best 53 men to fill your roster and the level of talent between about 30 and 53 is usually pretty minute. Sure I would love to see us win games but not at the expense of not thoroughly evaluating the players

27 minutes ago, vel said:

Beat me to it.  Also 0-16 Browns as well iirc

It's like equating the NBA Summer League Champions to regular season champs...**** don't add up.

For me, I like to make a good showing in pre-season. At least in the first quarter or half when you have your starters playing. I'd prefer not to go 0-4, but even 1-3 is fine as long as you're competitive early.

That being said, I've never seen a coach put less emphasis on winning and losing in pre-season than DQ. So, I'm not gonna read much into it regardless.

46 minutes ago, manfam said:

Well the Falcons went 0-4 during the 2017 preseason to.  I'm not sure what injuries we had then.

Which further ruins the argument because they went back to the postseason. I guess we didn't score on the goal line vs Philly because we went 0-4 in preseason of the previous calendar year...

7 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

For me, I like to make a good showing in pre-season. At least in the first quarter or half when you have your starters playing. I'd prefer not to go 0-4, but even 1-3 is fine as long as you're competitive early.

That being said, I've never seen a coach put less emphasis on winning and losing in pre-season than DQ. So, I'm not gonna read much into it regardless.

This. DQ literally has come out multiple times and said he's not trying to win preseason games and he's purely evaluating. He's going to put Jordan Miller on Robby Anderson to what would happen. That's not going to happen in the regular season, but he can't see if his depth can handle starter snaps if they don't get the look. Same with a guy like Gage or Blake getting looks versus Norman when we play Washington. That's not happening in the regular season. 

2 hours ago, FalconFromSpain said:

We also played one of the worst games against the dolphins in 2016. O line was a s**t fest the first half and we went to the superbowl that year. 

16 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I was depressed after that showing.

And that 3rd game is the most important out of all of them on many levels.  Another notch in the belt that preseason wins, and to a lesser degree performance, don't matter all that much at all.

4 hours ago, vel said:

And this anomaly comes up every time.

Just now, thajames said:

No Superbowl winner has ever gone winless in the preseason....wins in preseason come down to who has better depth. If you dont win any of the games you're an injury or 2 from being screwed somewhere. 

Go to local college or university, go to the statistics dept, ask them to explain small sample size to you. There aren't enough teams that have gone 0-4 to make a statistically valid conclusion.  The same logic means the falcons will never win the super bowl because they never have before.

The better depth argument is wrong because it's used to explain why winless preseason teams don't win the super bowl, when it doesn't need to be explained because it's not a statistically valid conclusion.

Some teams are winless in the preseason because they have no talent on the team, other teams are winless because the head coach doesn't give a flying rat's backside about winning in the preseason.

Falcons have a head coach that doesn't give a flying rat's backside about winning preseason games. Aside from the dozens of quotes from DQ telling you he doesn't care about winning, his actions tell you that. I watched him swap out the  Oline completely every 3 plays for a half in a presseason game. That's just not something you do if you care about winning.

Falcons starters played 3 snaps in a preseason game last year- meant the falcons 2nd string was going against the other teams 1st string, 3rd string against 2nd string and so forth. That's not something you do if winning the game is important to you.

He puts rookies up against  probowlers to see how they do. He runs plays that  by his on admission, they wouldn't run in a real game, to see how players do.

It's all about player evaluation for DQ and keeping the important players healthy. Matt Ryan threw 20 passes the entire preseason last year. If Quinn wanted to win games, Ryan could have thrown  50-80 passes, kept the first string on for another series or two each game, made sure they went up against the other teams second string, put up a bunch of points.  DQ doesn't do that because risking the first team to win meaningless preseason games isn't worth it to him.

Preseason Win Loss count zero percent... I do think we have more talent then we normally do on the 2nd string so im interested to see how young guys look.

Besides that.... preseason don't matter at all when it comes to the regular season