Kaleb McGary to have heart procedure per team

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kaleb has the same thing I have which is Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome. I had the procedure twice within a 15 day period. The Doc can’t fix the issue cause it to close to my Atrioventricular nod

He's young and a rookie. Don't rush him back. This is a heart, not a hammy. 

Thank you.  I've been looking in occasionally, I just don't have much heart to post right now.   But thank you for the hug.  It's a struggle every day, but I will keep striving to reach a new normal i

4 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Good luck young man!  Praying for you.

My son has Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome and has had to have heart ablations done more than once.   He's usually down and out for a week or so - then he starts bouncing back.

He doesn't however, have the same strenuous job activities, so give the young man time to heal.   

Glad you are back, Mrs. Tandy.  Internet hug coming at ya

4 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Yeah, footbal IS a normal activity for Caleb.

Curtis Samuel had the same thing done last year for the Panthers.  Missed a couple of games because it happened right before the season started. Was fine otherwise.

Not the same as Curtis.  Kaleb has severe a-fib.  4 cardiac ablutions is not common.  His heart rate at one point was 300 beats per minute.   He should tread with caution

4 minutes ago, caponine said:

Do you know how many football players die each year from undetected heart issues/ problems. After he gets it treated ofc , but still have to br cautious 

exactly.   anything  "football" and "heart" related - no cardiologist would ever say football is "normal activities" - @falconidae  is popping off.  That is why it's reported 6-8 weeks by Schefter versus "a couple of days".

Kaleb will be monitored closely and he will likely have to pass a lot of gateway hurdles before medical staff will allow Kaleb to step back on field.   Better safe than dead.

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Not the same as Curtis.  Kaleb has severe a-fib.  4 cardiac ablutions is not common.  His heart rate at one point was 300 beats per minute.   He should tread with caution

Thank you , this is much more serious. Cant mess around with this. How tf does anyone think this is normal activities is beyond me. He could collapse on the field one day and he would be saying how he shouldn't have played 

3 minutes ago, caponine said:

Do you know how many football players die each year from undetected heart issues/ problems. After he gets it treated ofc , but still have to br cautious 

No, I don't. Not applicable here because it's a known heart issue.

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

It’s why I would shelf him for the year unless Ty gets hurt or reverts back to 2016 form.  Practice, work on technique but if possible let him rest a year

Samuel was playing all last year after recovering for a bit.

This is from Dr. David Chao, who was the team physician for the Chargers for 17 years, talking about Samuel's ablation last year:

" It does certainly seem likely Samuel will miss the Panthers’ season opener, but an absence beyond that should not be anticipated.

In my 17 years as an NFL team physician we encountered several of these situations, and most times it never became public."

Assuming there's nothing else going on, see no reason to sit him for a year. Yeah, if it's a question of Caleb dying, of course you're as cautious as you need to be.  But just doesn't sound as dangerous as that. 

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

exactly.   anything  "football" and "heart" related - no cardiologist would ever say football is "normal activities" - @falconidae  is popping off.  That is why it's reported 6-8 weeks by Schefter versus "a couple of days".

Kaleb will be monitored closely and he will likely have to pass a lot of gateway hurdles before medical staff will allow Kaleb to step back on field.   Better safe than dead.

Especially heart issues. This wont be a quick return just as you said. He will have to pass so many tests and physicals to play. Even if he plays he will most likely be a limited amount of snaps anyway. Just because he is getting treatment doesnt mean the heart rate couldn't go up 100 more beats. His case is severe. Z

34 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Playing football isn't "normal activities". 

Yea, no kidding.  That is why I said weeks...  which is what it took when he had the procedure before.  My point was it isn't going to be 6 months..  or the season.   No one is expecting him to be back to doing NFL training in a few days or week or two.  

4 minutes ago, falconidae said:

This is from Dr. David Chao, who was the team physician for the Chargers for 17 years, talking about Samuel's ablation last year:

" It does certainly seem likely Samuel will miss the Panthers’ season opener, but an absence beyond that should not be anticipated.

In my 17 years as an NFL team physician we encountered several of these situations, and most times it never became public."

Assuming there's nothing else going on, see no reason to sit him for a year. Yeah, if it's a question of Caleb dying, of course you're as cautious as you need to be.  But just doesn't sound as dangerous as that. 

He only missed 3 games.  But not all a-fib cases are the same.  They require different recovery, especially since this is his 4th procedure

Im certain Kaleb could play by Week 6 if he decides to.

This is honestly a pretty serious matter. 3-4 ablations at the age of 24 is not normal no matter how you try to downplay it. Any procedure thats been done multiple times that can potentially put you out 6-8 weeks is a huge red flag. At some point there will be nothing left to zap in the atrium and the accumulated scar tissue gets stiff. Thats going to reduce heart efficiency and output which could have long term affects on him. I wish this guy well.

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

Did you not hear what @FalconsIn2020 just said. He has severe a fib. If you get a heart of 300 beats per minute that basically means your dead. NFL football is much more demanding. It's way different from college. 

4 minutes ago, caponine said:

Did you not hear what @FalconsIn2020 just said. He has severe a fib. If you get a heart of 300 beats per minute that basically means your dead. NFL football is much more demanding. It's way different from college. 

That’s not how a fib works nor the complications from it. A fib leads to strokes and pulmonary embolisms... basically clots form in the right side of the heart and can migrate. Usually you go on a blood thinner but can’t really play football that way, which is why the ablation is done to help correct conduction. RVR is rare. 

Edited by droopy1592
9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

He only missed 3 games.  But not all a-fib cases are the same.  They require different recovery, especially since this is his 4th procedure

This is his 3rd, not his fourth. According to the falcons.com article, he had this done twice in his college career.

Look, if McGary needs to take this year off to deal with this, I'm really OK with that.

But, it is a fairly routine procedure, and no one here is  board certified in the specialty and has access to all the medical records to make a judgement.

If the team doctors clear him to play, put him back out there in a few weeks.

10 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

That’s not how a fib works nor the complications from it. A fib leads to strokes and pulmonary embolisms... basically clots form in the right side of the heart and can migrate. Usually you go on a blood thinner but can’t really play football that way, which is why the ablation is done to help correct conduction. RVR is rare. 

Guess u didn't know a fib and heart arrhythmia could lead to heart attacks and cardiac arrest. If you're heart is beating 300 beats per minute. You're dead unless you get help quick !! A fib can also lead to heart disease. You're putting strain on your heart and blood pumping is decreased.

Edited by caponine

Reading through this thread seems not only did our team know of this issue he has had it crop up several times before and had the same surgery previously.

Drafting him was a mistake, sorry, feel bad for him and hope he has a healthy life but he will not last long in the NFL with a cronic heart condition.

Major mistake on this one.

11 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

The strokes are from blood clots

5 minutes ago, caponine said:

Guess u didn't know a fib and heart arrhythmia could lead to heart attacks and cardiac arrest. If you're heart is beating 300 beats per minute. You're dead unless you get help quick !! A fib can also lead to heart disease. You're putting strain on your heart and blood pumping is decreased.

LoL ok buddy. You know more about it than me. Carry on.