Jump to content

Kaleb McGary to have heart procedure per team


Monoxide
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Sounds like he will be out 2-3 months.  He won’t play while on blood thinners.  That was one of Chris Bosh’s obstacles.

“Six to eight weeks, is very common,” Doshi said. “Usually, we do 8 to 12 weeks, but because he’s young, he may not need the full 12 weeks and they can probably get away with eight. It depends on how much they burned when they get in there. They may find out they don’t need to burn that much and may just say four weeks. It’s good to plan for six to eight, just in case, but he may have a speedier recovery than that.”

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

We knew the recovery process from his last procedure.  The concerning thing is 4 heart procedures in 6 years.  The root problem still hasn’t been identified and controlled.

@droopy1592  Don’t these heart catheters usually address the issue after 1 ablation?

Both quotes from Shephal Doshi, a cardiac electrophysiologist and director of cardiac electrophysiology and pacing at Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, Ca.

 

“It’s something that can be fixed and sometimes it takes a couple of times to fix it....The reason he’s having a third procedure is that sometimes its hard to find that right spot,” Doshi said. “That doesn’t mean that he’s not curable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, falconidae said:

“Six to eight weeks, is very common,” Doshi said. “Usually, we do 8 to 12 weeks, but because he’s young, he may not need the full 12 weeks and they can probably get away with eight. It depends on how much they burned when they get in there. They may find out they don’t need to burn that much and may just say four weeks. It’s good to plan for six to eight, just in case, but he may have a speedier recovery than that.”

Both quotes from Shephal Doshi, a cardiac electrophysiologist and director of cardiac electrophysiology and pacing at Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, Ca.

 

“It’s something that can be fixed and sometimes it takes a couple of times to fix it....The reason he’s having a third procedure is that sometimes its hard to find that right spot,” Doshi said. “That doesn’t mean that he’s not curable. 

Sounds like they know the root problem yet haven’t been successful in getting it completely under control.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

We knew the recovery process from his last procedure.  The concerning thing is 4 heart procedures in 6 years.  The root problem still hasn’t been identified and controlled.

@droopy1592  Don’t these heart catheters usually address the issue after 1 ablation?

Typically for his type arrhythmia the success rate leans more towards the 90 of the 60-90% success rate of the procedure. He could have an abnormal site for location of his issue so it may be harder to pin down. That’s really the issue.  And we don’t know if they hit the right spot until he “doesn’t” have another episode... so you have to wait and see if it was successful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Typically for his type arrhythmia the success rate leans more towards the 90 of the 60-90% success rate of the procedure. He could have an abnormal site for location of his issue so it may be harder to pin down. That’s really the issue.  And we don’t know if they hit the right spot until he “doesn’t” have another episode... so you have to wait and see if it was successful. 

Thanks.

So it’s trial and error.  You won’t know it’s fixed until he looks up in 8 years and realizes he hasn’t had an episode in 8 years.  Hopefully that’s exactly what happens this time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

We knew the recovery process from his last procedure.  The concerning thing is 4 heart procedures in 6 years.  The root problem still hasn’t been identified and controlled.

 

The root problem has been identified, it’s an electrical issue, they just need to cauterize the correct area of the tissue is all, and it can be a little tricky, hit or miss, getting the right area..

When you say the concern is it hasn’t worked yet, are you suggesting this indicates anything more than he would just need to have the procedure done again?

This isn’t a surgical procedure. He can work out all he wants right after the procedure, he just can’t do anything that could cause internal bleeding because of the blood thinners. You are making this out to be way more than it is. It is not career threatening.

 

“Six to eight weeks, is very common,” Doshi said. “Usually, we do 8 to 12 weeks, but because he’s young, he may not need the full 12 weeks and they can probably get away with eight. It depends on how much they burned when they get in there. They may find out they don’t need to burn that much and may just say four weeks. It’s good to plan for six to eight, just in case, but he may have a speedier recovery than that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quinn: Doctors ‘pleased’ with McGary procedure 

Team doesn’t have or would now reveal his timetable for a return

 
CANTON, OHIO — 

Doctors were pleased with the heart procedure performed on Falcons rookie right tackle Kaleb McGary, according to coach Dan Quinn.

“Number one, the doctors were certainly happy about the procedure,” Quinn said after the Falcons’ 14-10 exhibition loss to the Broncos on Thursday. “We’ll have some more updates as we go along. But for the first part of it, they were happy.”

The Falcons don’t have or would not share the timetable for McGary’s recovery. Several experts have projected that McGary’s recovery period will be six to eight weeks, but it could be sooner based on the amount of heart that was repaired and the use of blood thinners. 

“We’ll kind of go through the same markers to go back and see the docs about when his return to play can be,” Quinn said. “We’ll update as we go. There is nothing to report. I know they were pleased with the procedure.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/doctors-pleased-with-mcgary-procedure/JX9wYxoOevpbt9uYLzXErL/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

The root problem has been identified, it’s an electrical issue, they just need to cauterize the correct area of the tissue is all, and it can be a little tricky, hit or miss, getting the right area..

When you say the concern is it hasn’t worked yet, are you suggesting this indicates anything more than he would just need to have the procedure done again?

This isn’t a surgical procedure. He can work out all he wants right after the procedure, he just can’t do anything that could cause internal bleeding because of the blood thinners. You are making this out to be way more than it is. It is not career threatening.

 

“Six to eight weeks, is very common,” Doshi said. “Usually, we do 8 to 12 weeks, but because he’s young, he may not need the full 12 weeks and they can probably get away with eight. It depends on how much they burned when they get in there. They may find out they don’t need to burn that much and may just say four weeks. It’s good to plan for six to eight, just in case, but he may have a speedier recovery than that.

I honestly don’t know what else they could do other than cauterizing again.  But the pulmonary vein should not continue reconnecting once cauterized.

During the procedure, small wires, electrodes, are placed inside your heart to measure your heart's electrical activity. When the source of the problem is found, the tissue causing the problem is destroyed.  

Its simply odd that there continues to be pulmonary vein reconnection in the destroyed/cauterized area.  That’s certainly why the a-fib is recurring.   How it’s reconnecting is the unknown which is why I say the root cause is still unknown.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I honestly don’t know what else they could do other than cauterizing again.

The doctor said it’s not an issue to have it done multiple times, he used the phrase “it’s not a concern if it has to be done several times” to finally get it.

The fact he can work out and stay in shape while he’s on the blood thinners is a big deal. Very different than someone being bedridden or hobbled for 6 weeks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

The doctor said it’s not an issue to have it done multiple times, he used the phrase “it’s not a concern if it has to be done several times” to finally get it.

The fact he can work out and stay in shape while he’s on the blood thinners is a big deal. Very different than someone being bedridden or hobbled for 6 weeks. 

This isn’t a life threatening ordeal.  We know that.  But like the doctors have said, “it’s a performance limiting condition for athletes.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

This isn’t a life threatening ordeal.  We know that.  But like the doctors have said, “it’s a performance limiting condition for athletes.”

What doctor said the condition is a performance limiting one?

I quoted McGarys doctor, who said it’s not a big deal at all, even if he has to go back again until they get it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...