Monoxide

Kaleb McGary to have heart procedure per team

312 posts in this topic

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. – The Atlanta Falcons announced rookie offensive lineman Kaleb McGary will undergo a cardiac ablation procedure Wednesday afternoon.

The minimally-invasive procedure is similar to two previous procedures McGary has undergone in his playing career and a potential recovery timetable is expected following the procedure. It's worth noting, too, that McGary was cleared by NFL medical testing to participate in the scouting combine, which took place in late February and early March.

When Can I Go Back to Work?

“If they’re feeling well and if their work isn’t too strenuous, I tell most patients that it’s okay to go back to work 3 to 4 days after their ablation,” Dr. Arkles says. For strenuous jobs like nursing or law enforcement, he recommends a two-week wait.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/heart-and-vascular-blog/2018/august/ablation-recovery

He's young and a rookie. Don't rush him back. This is a heart, not a hammy. 

Schefter reporting he was out 6-8 weeks last time he had the procedure. Not a huge blow, but he's missing a ton of valuable time (assuming the recovery period is the same).

Edited by NoMoreVick
g-dawg and KCFalcon22 like this

1 minute ago, vel said:

Welp, there goes a couple of weeks. Ty is gonna be the starting RT come week one. Fingers crossed. 

That looked like it was going to happen regardless.  Two rookies next to each other was always a big ask and likely not best for 2019 if Ty continues playing as he did to end 2018

vel, wnyfalconfan, Drew4719 and 2 others like this

Hope he can get back to playing soon.  The only reason I did not eval him in the offseason was the heart stuff.   Felt stupid that I didn't as it seemed like it was a non-issue at Washington.  Hate to hear it's still an issue.  Get well big fella.  I didn't expect Kaleb to start but I'm pretty sure Ty Sambarillo is no the answer for the team.

egoprime II and Atl Falcon like this

1 minute ago, NoMoreVick said:

Schefter reporting he was out 6-8 weeks last time he had the procedure. Not a huge blow, but he's missing a ton of valuable time (assuming the recovery period is the same).

Since it’s his 3rd time I suspect the time out is longer.  Plus, returning to a desk job isn’t returning to the NFL.  2-3 months seems probable

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

pretty sure you know how I feel about that

Lol Ty was fine man. He'll be Ty. He's not a world beater, but I don't think he'll tank the offense. We'll see. I just didn't know when they'd transition to McGary during the season. Now I really don't know. 

ya_boi_j, JDaveG, Drew4719 and 3 others like this

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Since it’s his 3rd time I suspect the time out is longer.  Plus, returning to a desk job isn’t returning to the NFL.  2-3 months seems probable

Why would it be 2-3 months when he's had this before and took 6-8 weeks?

gazoo likes this

5 minutes ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

Geez can we get a break? Please!??????!!!?

Uh, yeah, this isn't an injury on the level of an ankle or knee injury.

This is a truly life-saving procedure for the kid.

papachaz likes this

3 minutes ago, vel said:

Lol Ty was fine man. He'll be Ty. He's not a world beater, but I don't think he'll tank the offense. We'll see. I just didn't know when they'd transition to McGary during the season. Now I really don't know. 

:(

Flying Falcon likes this

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cardiac-ablation/about/pac-20384993

Depending on your condition, you may be able to go home the same day as your procedure, or you may need to stay in the hospital. If you go home the same day, plan to have someone else drive you home after your procedure.

You may feel a little sore after your procedure, but the soreness shouldn't last more than a week. You'll usually be able to return to your normal activities within a few days after having cardiac ablation.

=========================================================================

This doesn't sound too bad.  If all goes well it sounds like he'll probably be out for a few weeks given that his work isn't exactly normal, every day moving around and sitting.  He is a strong, tough kid.  I'm sure he'll be ok.  Take care of yourself big guy!