AJC Projecting New Julio Contract

This would be a very team friendly deal.  Fingers crossed they are close to right.  I thought 3-years with 61 million new money

FLOWERY BRANCH — 

Falcons star Julio Jones is considered one of the top receivers in the NFL, but his contract has been surpassed by several other players recently.

The Falcons have been working on an extension for the six-time Pro Bowl selection, who’s on the verge of breaking the team’s all-time yards receiving mark.

Jones’ new deal is projected to be three years and worth $51.8 million, with $33 million guaranteed at signing, according to spotrac.com.

Jones, 30, recently said that any new contract was “confidential” and that was an “in-house” matter. 

The Falcons agreed to improving Jones’ contract after it was adjusted on July 27, 2018.

Jones’ deal currently has two years remaining with the dynamic receiver scheduled to make $9.6 million in 2019 and $11.4 million in 2020. Brown’s new deal averages $19.8 million per year, according to NFLPA documents.

The Falcons will likely have to double Jones’ base salary and grant a two or three-year extension to lessen the salary cap ramifications.

Julio said he wasn't concerned about being the highest paid player. He's constantly said that and that he cares about the team as a whole. He's shown that time and again. So if that's where the contract lands, I honestly wouldn't be surprised. $17MM per would leave room to get Hooper figured out as well. Plus, Julio's made a lot of money. He wants to win now. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

Julio said he wasn't concerned about being the highest paid player. He's constantly said that and that he cares about the team as a whole. He's shown that time and again. So if that's where the contract lands, I honestly wouldn't be surprised. $17MM per would leave room to get Hooper figured out as well. Plus, Julio's made a lot of money. He wants to win now. 

While I am sure HE doesn't (I believe that), I am sure his agent certainly does. These deals rise the tide for their other clients. Keep in mind he Rosenhaus also represents Tyreek Hill.

Just now, Duff_Man said:

While I am sure HE doesn't (I believe that), I am sure his agent certainly does. These deals rise the tide for their other clients. Keep in mind he Rosenhaus also represents Tyreek Hill.

Rosenhaus also represents Debo and we saw what just happened there. Julio is 30. We have to remember that. An extension doesn't kick in until he's 32. Nobody is signing a 32 year old WR to the money you'd sign a 25 year old Tyreek Hill to. Especially with the roster they have now, it'd be detrimental. 

The only thing i would be worried about if that did end up being his contract is having that much guaranteed up front. He may end up wanting another contract next year since he will have such little left on the deal. I hope not but he has done it before.

Edited by LouDog

55 minutes ago, LouDog said:

The only thing i would be worried about if that did end up being his contract is having that much guaranteed up front. He may end up wanting another contract next year since he will have such little left on the deal. I hope not but he has done it before.

To me, there is a big difference in the situation when he was 29 versus remaining in the league at 33.  The contract can be structured to ensure he is paid if he is there. Bonuses etc. 

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

To me, there is a big difference in the situation when he was 29 versus remaining in the league at 33.  The contract can be structured to ensure he is paid if he is there. Bonuses etc. 

Im not talking about when he is 33. Im talking about next year. If he is paid 33 mil up front that will leave less than 20 mil split over the following 2 years. I could see him wanting another restructure before next year starts.

5 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Im not talking about when he is 33. Im talking about next year. If he is paid 33 mil up front that will leave less than 20 mil split over the following 2 years. I could see him wanting another restructure before next year starts.

Why? 

Just now, LouDog said:

Thats pretty much what he is doing this season

No, it's not. Falcons were always going  to re-do his deal this year. Julio signed the deal he's playing on now in 2015, re-doing the deal 4 years in is way different the re-doing the deal 1 year in.

5 hours ago, vel said:

Vel but I have it from the cap geniuses on here that Julio is 20 all day how can they be wrong.The same characters that said and parrotted the media say it’s so.**** reading round here lately I’ve heard anything from 65-80 in new money lol.

Man this is why I laugh hard at fans who continually worry about the cap and make such predictions.

Blind Fold Dart Throw.

17 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Vel but I have it from the cap geniuses on here that Julio is 20 all day how can they be wrong.The same characters that said and parrotted the media say it’s so.**** reading round here lately I’ve heard anything from 65-80 in new money lol.

Man this is why I laugh hard at fans who continually worry about the cap and make such predictions.

Blind Fold Dart Throw.

His new contract should be around 20 APY on the 3 year extension.  If it’s $51 million I would be thrilled.  But his total contract will likely just be 80-85 million since there are two years left on his contract

13 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Blind Fold Dart Throw.

It's all about guarantees. Especially at Julio's age. I bet Julio get's 3yrs $52MM and about 85% of that guaranteed. That's better than 3yrs $60MM with only 60% guaranteed, which is essentially the amount Thomas has guaranteed. "Smaller contract" but more guaranteed gives the team breathing room to give Julio more money if he's like Larry Fitz. It also sets a team precedence with Grady, Debo, and Julio getting paid but not breaking the bank so others can stay. 

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

His new contract should be around 20 APY on the 3 year extension.  If it’s $51 million I would be thrilled.  But his total contract will likely just be 80-85 million since there are two years left on his contract

I'm expecting $20MM because that's the market, but his true comp right now is AB, who just got 3yrs $50MM. That's the market for the best 30 year old WRs. Maybe he gets $18MM since it won't kick in until 2021. That is top three in today's market in terms of per year. I just won't be surprised if it's under $20MM. I said the same when we were signing Freeman, if we got anything under 5yrs $45MM for him. 

48 minutes ago, vel said:

I'm expecting $20MM because that's the market, but his true comp right now is AB, who just got 3yrs $50MM. That's the market for the best 30 year old WRs. Maybe he gets $18MM since it won't kick in until 2021. That is top three in today's market in terms of per year. I just won't be surprised if it's under $20MM. I said the same when we were signing Freeman, if we got anything under 5yrs $45MM for him. 

They probably wouldn’t due to salary CAP benefits, but could they simply void the last two years and create a new 4 year deal starting in 2019?

8 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

They probably wouldn’t due to salary CAP benefits, but could they simply void the last two years and create a new 4 year deal starting in 2019?

I don't think they can because it would be like cutting him. Not entirely sure, since they didn't structure them as voidable. That would accelerate his cap hits as well. 

Julio's position is all about real cash, not cap hits. If they can marry that, they're good. That's why he keeps saying he's not worried about "highest paid". Thomas' contract is max $20MM per year, but he's only guaranteed $12MM per year. 

3 minutes ago, vel said:

I don't think they can because it would be like cutting him. Not entirely sure, since they didn't structure them as voidable. That would accelerate his cap hits as well. 

Julio's position is all about real cash, not cap hits. If they can marry that, they're good. That's why he keeps saying he's not worried about "highest paid". Thomas' contract is max $20MM per year, but he's only guaranteed $12MM per year. 

I think the numbers are done.  Without Bailey Julio likely would be signed already.  I think they are having to restructure a bit due to the Bailey deal.  It’s why Bailey’s details are still absent IMO

7 minutes ago, vel said:

WrKPhfd.gif

1 minute ago, vel said:

Yep. That's why players say it's all about guarantees. Julio could take $17MM per year but have $15MM guaranteed. That's a much better position in the grand scheme of things. 

I honestly don’t really understand the purpose of non-guaranteed money.  The average players never see it while the great players restructure once guaranteed money is mostly gone

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I honestly don’t really understand the purpose of non-guaranteed money.  The average players never see it while the great players restructure once guaranteed money is mostly gone

Yep. It's all show. It's to protect the owners because of the high risk of injury. I'd say set aside a separate pool of money for cutting injured players that pays them 50 cents on the dollar or something if it's career ending (Alex Smith, Ryan Shazier) and make the contracts fully guaranteed until cut. If you are on the roster Sept. 1, your salary is guaranteed. Something. But non-guaranteed money is a joke.