FalconsIn2012

Acuna - Has He Improved

31 posts in this topic

Just looking at the stats it’s hard to tell.  For those who watch every game, is Acuna much better in 2019 than he was rookie year?  With 5 less AB’s than last year, here are the numbers

36w8q7.jpg

I definitely think he has. I think his defense has gotten much better over the course of this year. 

He's just scratching the surface though. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Just now, tl;dr said:

I definitely think he has. I think his defense has gotten much better over the course of this year. 

He's just scratching the surface though. 

His defense for sure.

His batting at the HR derby was so impressive. Going opposite field and not trying to hit the ball any further than his natural swing allowed.  I see him as a #3 hitter in the lineup who should go .325 with 40 HR’s, 100 RBI’s & 30 SB’s every year.

I do want him out of leadoff next year, though.

8 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes he has improved. He's hitting the ball harder more often while walking more and striking out less.

• 2018 - 13.4 Barrel%, 90.8 Exit Velocity, 46.6 Hard Hit%, 25.3 K%, 9.2 BB%
  • 2019 - 14.1 Barrel%, 90.8 Exit Velocity, 47.0 Hard Hit%, 23.7 K%, 10.2 BB%

Nice advanced metrics.  You sure know your baseball.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Not only has his bat to ball improved, but his strikeouts are down a bit and walks are up. His understanding of what they are trying to do to him is getting better. When they used to brush him back, you would see it bother him. That is also getting better. The other thing, he has not yet gone on a tear like he did a few times last year. Wait until he does that over the next 50 games. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 hours ago, JDFIII said:

Not only has his bat to ball improved, but his strikeouts are down a bit and walks are up. His understanding of what they are trying to do to him is getting better. When they used to brush him back, you would see it bother him. That is also getting better. The other thing, he has not yet gone on a tear like he did a few times last year. Wait until he does that over the next 50 games. 

He had an AB the other day that showed just how far he's come in knowing what pitchers are trying to do for him. He spit on 3 straight fastballs because he was sitting slider and when he got the slider he crushed it to CF for a homerun.

JDFIII and FalconsIn2012 like this

51 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Acuna is so much better this year that I cannot believe the question was even asked.

I don’t get to watch much living in Florida.  So I am just curious what the people who watch most of the games think.

If he has a streak like he did to end last year, his numbers will be top-3 MVP worthy

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

4 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I don’t get to watch much living in Florida.  So I am just curious what the people who watch most of the games think.

If he has a streak like he did to end last year, his numbers will be top-3 MVP worthy

Acuna was phenomenal last year but he has shown a more patient approach at the plate this year and is maturing as a hitter.   Great fielder as well, but also better this year.

Acuna was uber talented at age 20 but will only get better with age.

If he improves anymore hes going to get the Bonds treatment. Walk him everytime up, bases loaded, doesnt matter. Just walk him. Nobody is going to be brave enough to pitch to him.

g-dawg and FalconsIn2012 like this

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

If he improves anymore hes going to get the Bonds treatment. Walk him everytime up, bases loaded, doesnt matter. Just walk him. Nobody is going to be brave enough to pitch to him.

That would be something

He is going to get 30/30 barring injury. 40/40 isn't out of the question, but he needs to get more steals naow!!!

For real though, I love this kid. There is honestly not one player in baseball I would trade him for. When you combine age, years of control, and talent, I don't really know who out there is a better bet than him. 

34 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

He is going to get 30/30 barring injury. 40/40 isn't out of the question, but he needs to get more steals naow!!!

For real though, I love this kid. There is honestly not one player in baseball I would trade him for. When you combine age, years of control, and talent, I don't really know who out there is a better bet than him. 

100% agree with this given that he is LOCKED for years now with the contract.

g-dawg and tl;dr like this

23 hours ago, Passprotection said:

100% agree with this given that he is LOCKED for years now with the contract.

Braves could not have times that extension any better.  If Scott Boras was his agent he might be looking at $40mm/yr contract in 3yrs

FalconsIn2012 likes this

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Love me some Brian McCann.

Even moreso, Ronald Acuna!!!

No doubt and I’m glad he’s back where he belongs.  Ronald is becoming a scary superstar fast!!!

g-dawg likes this