Julio Jones will not play in the preseason

Michael David Smith
ProFootball Talk on NBC SportsJul 30, 2019, 10:43 AM

As the NFL preseason becomes increasingly meaningless, teams are increasingly deciding not to risk injury to their star players. Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones is the latest example.

Jones told reporters that he will not play at all in any of the Falcons’ preseason games this year. Jones didn’t play in the preseason last year, either, and the year before he appeared in just one preseason game and didn’t catch a pass.

Although Jones and the Falcons are in the process of renegotiating his contract, there’s no indication that sitting out the preseason is any kind of contract holdout. Instead, it’s just acknowledging the reality that Jones and Matt Ryan have played together for years and are already on the same page, and any benefit they might get from running some live plays together is far outweighed by the risk of injury.

Jones will prove to be far from the only NFL star who sits out the preseason.

https://sports.yahoo.com/julio-jones-not-play-preseason-144357869.html

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Julio didn't play a single pre-season snap last year and led the league in yards...

Lol wow

You are such a positive person. 

Tired of players demanding to be the highest paid at a position then sit out activities to prep for the season.

JJ is not perfect he still has drop issues and can use all the timing possible with Ryan. He also has pretty low TD numbers for Yards/Targets he gets.

He has things to work on, if he wants 20 million a year you show up.

5 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I don't have a giant issue with it. I'd prefer he get a little game time work, but he's a vet.

3 minutes ago, shock said:

Dude has been here for almost a decade. He doesn’t need any preseason reps. 

Pretty sure he and Free didn’t play a snap last preseason either.

3 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Tired of players demanding to be the highest paid at a position then sit out activities to prep for the season.

JJ is not perfect he still has drop issues and can use all the timing possible with Ryan. He also has pretty low TD numbers for Yards/Targets he gets.

You are such a positive person. 

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Pretty sure he and Free didn’t play a snap last preseason either.

Free also had lingering injury from previous season and it still wasn't enough time to heal.  Julio not playing this preseason bodes well because there's no need for him to suffer a meaningless injury again when he is also rehabbing his foot.

4 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

lol weren't you just worried about all the major injuries piling up. For the record when I was at camp I saw matt and julio working on some routes, jsut not in 11 on 11

7 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

It’s this kind of logic that makes NO SENSE to me.

Hes a WR and doesn’t play in the trenches.  For what he does practice reps are just as good.

And it’s not like he doesn’t have a proven track record.

Its this and the ‘the Falcons would be just fine without Juilo’ comments that crack me up.

Like last season.... we don’t need Julio.  We have this unproven rookie.

SMH

4 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Come on bro, he's not gaining anything from preseason at this point lol. You'd be complaining if they let him play and then he got hurt.

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

It’s this kind of logic that makes NO SENSE to me.

Hes a WR and doesn’t play in the trenches.  For what he does practice reps are just as good.

And it’s not like he doesn’t have a proven track record.

Its this and the ‘the Falcons would be just fine without Juilo’ That crack me up.

well you know its bc julio is never doubled (purple)

Complete diva. All about himself, doesn't vibe well with the team-first mentality thing going on, and selfish. So much talent wasted. With Christian Blake on this team I see no roster spot for this overrated guy anyways. Wouldn't be surprised if Arthur demands TD trade this clown to the tundra of Buffalo before we even come close to kickoff in Minnesota Week 1.  

11 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Lol wow

16 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Julio didn't play a single pre-season snap last year and led the league in yards...

9 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

Come on bro, he's not gaining anything from preseason at this point lol. You'd be complaining if they let him play and then he got hurt.

Game speed and timing are major factors, come on he is not perfect, he struggles to get in the endzone especially early in the year and has drop issues and he is always having some pre season contract or Foot issue.

I think the excuses are silly, you want 20 million? Put in the work like everyone else. 

2 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Game speed and timing are major factors, come on he is not perfect, he struggles to get in the endzone especially early in the year and has drop issues and he is always having some pre season contract or Foot issue.

I think the excuses are silly, you want 20 million? Put in the work like everyone else. 

Nobody is perfect and nobody ever will be. You can continue to focus on the negative on everything in life and live a miserable existence if you would like. Doesnt mean others wont call you out on it.

2 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Nobody is perfect and nobody ever will be. You can continue to focus on the negative on everything in life and live a miserable existence if you would like. Doesnt mean others wont call you out on it.

I don't care if they call me out, I got an opinion about it and I'm going to share it.

You want to be paid the most you show the F up and stop having petty contract issues or tick tack "foot" issues every year so you can sit out all the time during off season.

25 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

lol, this take.

4 minutes ago, vel said:

Dang I forgot. I wish he played in pre-season then so he could have gotten TDs...

Being in better sync with Ryan and playing during pre season can certainly help.

We have several NEW players on OL and a new OC, it would be wise to get Ryan and JJ some game play time to get the timing down with all these new elements

Just now, MAD597 said:

I don't care if they call me out, I got an opinion about it and I'm going to share it.

You want to be paid the most you show the F up and stop having petty contract issues or tick tack "foot" issues every year so you can sit out all the time during off season.

Maybe you should ask yourself what is going on in your real life that makes something as trivial as a football game have such a huge impact on you. Just a thought

2 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Maybe you should ask yourself what is going on in your real life that makes something as trivial as a football game have such a huge impact on you. Just a thought

Posting on a message board is far from having a HUGE impact on me, gees and you lamers call me dramatic?

JJ is not above criticism.