ATLSlobberKnockers

Ryan and Bronco starters to sit out thurs

40 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Smiler11 said:

I'm not sure TD and DQ will agree. They will see it as an extra opportunity to evaluate the bottom of the roster. 

Which is fine, but putting players on the field more in meaningless games just flies in the face of "player safety".

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

18 game regular season, two game preseason...

yeah, if this happens I bet you see player average time in league drop by a year and the quality of game drop as well.  I wonder if the players are even thinking of that.  Sure, they will get two more game checks or roughly 15% more money per year, but the average NFL player career is something like 3.8 years now.  If you only look at the stars who tend to average something like 7.5 years or something like that (I read that somewhere but don't have a link), if they get an additional ACL or Achilles tear during those first 4 or 5 years and knock a year off their careers, they effectively lose money in the long run.  I wonder if anyone has explained that to the players.

Flyin' In DC and Falconsfan567 like this

33 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Which is fine, but putting players on the field more in meaningless games just flies in the face of "player safety".

I get that argument but as you said the starters aren't going to play any more minutes than they would in a typical 4 game preseason. 

This extra game is going to be aimed at the 60 or so players at the bottom of the 90 man roster. For them it's an extra opportunity to impress in what could be their last ever organised game of football. To them it's not meaningless.

Falconsfan567 likes this

30 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

18 game regular season, two game preseason...

They would also have to expand the rosters if they did this. And thus water down the quality of play. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

yeah, if this happens I bet you see player average time in league drop by a year and the quality of game drop as well.  I wonder if the players are even thinking of that.  Sure, they will get two more game checks or roughly 15% more money per year, but the average NFL player career is something like 3.8 years now.  If you only look at the stars who tend to average something like 7.5 years or something like that (I read that somewhere but don't have a link), if they get an additional ACL or Achilles tear during those first 4 or 5 years and knock a year off their careers, they effectively lose money in the long run.  I wonder if anyone has explained that to the players.

how many patriots retire early? they play an extra 3 games a season on average, they can be a good case scenario.

We all know 2/3 of the league barely sniffs any extra playoff games so why should you be worried about 2 extra meaningless regular season games for them

Osiruz likes this

I'd be okay with a series with some defensive starters who are not coming back from injury last year and some new guys like Tyeler and Bailey.  No skill position offensive starters or Mack and Jake.

7 minutes ago, Romfal said:

how many patriots retire early? they play an extra 3 games a season on average, they can be a good case scenario.

We all know 2/3 of the league barely sniffs any extra playoff games so why should you be worried about 2 extra meaningless regular season games for them

Don't know, but here is a link to data that shows average length of career by position and "quality" of player:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/

I wonder how many more years Gronk would have had if he was playing 14 game seasons.  Do you think he would have lasted as long if he was playing 18 game seasons.  He retired pretty much in his prime and stated the abuse was the main reason he was leaving the game, so I don't have a direct comparison for the Patriots other than that one example.

1 minute ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

I’m happy about that. Ryan and Julio are the only ones that shouldn’t play. Maybe Mack but everyone else get your @sses out there!

Mack doesnt meed to play much but id like to see him play a little just to get some snaps with our new guards before the season starts.

2 hours ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

When the NFL went from 14 games to 16 games and reduced the number of preseason games from 6 to 4 the popularity of the league exploded, and players got paid.  You had the same arguments against it back then and people adjusted...

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

2 hours ago, Flyin' In DC said:

They would also have to expand the rosters if they did this. And thus water down the quality of play. 

Whether they expand the rosters or not the quality of play is not going down.  On a side note, if I'm gonna watch 20 football games I want as much of them to count as possible.  These are millionaires, thats what they get paid to do, play football...

PokerSteve likes this

4 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Whether they expand the rosters or not the quality of play is not going down.  On a side note, if I'm gonna watch 20 football games I want as much of them to count as possible.  These are millionaires, thats what they get paid to do, play football...

Agree. Figure out what players you're going to keep during training camp and start the season with a regular season game, not some non-competitive, meaningless, risky exercise solely dedicated to weeding out the handful of borderline players for each team who will be at the very bottom of the roster, or out of the league altogether.

Fans shouldn't be made to pay for this farce four times a season, star players and everybody else who has made the team shouldn't be forced to risk their bodies and thus their livelihood for the benefit of a handful of 4th string and/or practice-squad players. Cut the bs and play real football from the get-go.

Spts1 and ATLSlobberKnockers like this

4 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree. Figure out what players you're going to keep during training camp and start the season with a regular season game, not some non-competitive, meaningless, risky exercise solely dedicated to weeding out the handful of borderline players for each team who will be at the very bottom of the roster, or out of the league altogether.

Fans shouldn't be made to pay for this farce four times a season, star players and everybody else who has made the team shouldn't be forced to risk their bodies and thus their livelihood for the benefit of a handful of 4th string and/or practice-squad players. Cut the bs and play real football from the get-go.

Exactly.  I just made a post in the thread about Julio not playing in the preseason that pretty much says the same thing.  They already know who they are gonna keep after a couple of preseason games.  The extra games are just revenue for the league.  Thats why they are toying with moving to a 18 game season.  People complain and say they don't wanna watch watered down football.  What is the preseason then?  :lol:  Watered down football...