Trufant in Press Coverage

I know people trash Trufant, but he was actually quite good last year when put back out to boundary corner.  And I suspect more Cover 1 this year, which is a good thing for Trufant.

Did you know between 2016 & 2017 he graded as the top cornerback in the NFL while in press coverage?  I didn’t.  Caught me by surprise when I just read it

“In 2016 & 2017, he was ranked first among all cornerbacks when playing in press coverage”

23 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I know people trash Trufant, but he was actually quite good last year when put back out to boundary corner.  And I suspect more Cover 1 this year, which is a good thing for Trufant.

Did you know between 2016 & 2017 he graded as the top cornerback in the NFL while in press coverage?  I didn’t.  Caught me by surprise when I just read it

“In 2016 & 2017, he was ranked first among all cornerbacks when playing in press coverage”

No they didn’t know because all fans ever remember are bad plays. But if you look at his play in the 2017 playoffs he shut his side of the field down. Especially in the rams game. 

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

No they didn’t know because all fans ever remember are bad plays. But if you look at his play in the 2017 playoffs he shut his side of the field down. Especially in the rams game. 

I really don’t understand the Trufant hate.  Just wish he didn’t have butter fingers cause he puts himself in position to lead the NFL in INT’s every year

14 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I really don’t understand the Trufant hate.  Just wish he didn’t have butter fingers cause he puts himself in position to lead the NFL in INT’s every year

That’s really what it boils down too. If he had 7/8 picks a year nobody would complain. I hope the more aggressive approach from Quinn gets him more pic opps and he holds onto the ball. 

9 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Trufant might get a lot of **** but lol at you guys acting like he wasn't beaten like a drum and didn't look slow last year.

He wasn’t. He gave up some plays yes. Alford was beaten way worse than tru. Tru’s Second half of the season was good. Like I just said and you’re just proved my point that you only remember the bad plays. You had no earthly idea that second half of the season tru was actually playing good football. Here’s a trivia question. When did tru start having bad games? Here’s the answer. When Rico went down. Show me one bad Play when he was beat like a drum in the eagles game it looked slow? You can’t. Know why? Rico was there qbing the defense. A lot of the confusion on defense last year was because of the loss of Rico. Including some of tru’s bad play. But let’s not act like tru had a terrible season all year. He did not. Alf had a bad year all the way thru. Tru stepped up 2nd half. 

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

He wasn’t. He gave up some plays yes. Alford was beaten way worse than tru. Tru’s Second half of the season was good. Like I just said and you’re just proved my point that you only remember the bad plays. You had no earthly idea that second half of the season tru was actually playing good football. Here’s a trivia question. When did tru start having bad games? Here’s the answer. When Rico went down. Show me one bad Play when he was beat like a drum in the eagles game it looked slow? You can’t. Know why? Rico was there qbing the defense. A lot of the confusion on defense last year was because of the loss of Rico. Including some of tru’s bad play. But let’s not act like tru had a terrible season all year. He did not. Alf had a bad year all the way thru. Tru stepped up 2nd half. 

So what I hear is that Trufant is only good when he knows he has a safety who can save his ***.

Teams constantly looked at him when they needed a conversion or a chunk play. Just because Alford was God awful doesn't mean Trufant wasn't sub par either. He wasn't good for most of the season, simple as that.

6 minutes ago, Malachore said:

So what I hear is that Trufant is only good when he knows he has a safety who can save his ***.

Teams constantly looked at him when they needed a conversion or a chunk play. Just because Alford was God awful doesn't mean Trufant wasn't sub par either. He wasn't good for most of the season, simple as that.

Tru was best CB on this team and was far from awful. He was middle of the pack last year.

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I didn't say he was awful. I said he was sub par.

Saying he was the best CB on this team last year isn't exactly lofty standards tho.

I wouldn’t say sub par, he played average. If Tru has held on to 3-4 of those dropped picks, he would have ended up in top 10 for lowest QB rating. I am not sure at this point he can do something to stop dropping the picks.

9 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Number 1 this ain’t last year because Neal is on the field. And 2 I can pull up footage of Marvin Harrison beating Deion Sanders. You just proved nothing but ever corner gets beat. Show me the corner that never got beat? 

As a student of the game and guru I know exactly when it’s from and blah blah you said :tiphat:

9 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Saying he was the best CB on this team last year isn't exactly lofty standards tho.

Quinn being more aggressive with the defense this season will help all the DBs.

It will allow both Oliver and Trufant to not cover as long consistently. If Beasley and Takk can turn it on in the pass rush, then the DB's jobs would be much easier and you'll start to see more plays made by the secondary.

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

It will allow both Oliver and Trufant to not cover as long. If Beasley and Takk can turn it on in the pass rush, then the DB's jobs would be much easier and you'll start see more plays made by the secondary.

Let us hope, it's what we've been asking for since 2017.

1 minute ago, ButSkiuup said:

As a student of the game and guru I know exactly when it’s from and blah blah you said :tiphat:

And as a student of the game you know ever corner gets beat. Therefore making the post moot. What is your point? Seems like you’re trying to say tru gets beat all the time when that’s a lie. He had gotten beat tho. So had Deion sanders, Rod Woodson, Darrell Revis and the best that ever played the game. Just trying to understand the point of the post that’s all because it literally proved nothing. You wanna prove a point to me show me the corner that never got beat. Pull footage of that guy up? 

2 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

It will allow both Oliver and Trufant to not cover as long. If Beasley and Takk can turn it on in the pass rush, then the DB's jobs would be much easier and you'll start see more plays made by the secondary.

When is the defense gonna stop getting gashed by RBs on checkdowns 

20 minutes ago, Malachore said:

He was good when they took him out of the slot.  He was new there and it’s an extremely tough position to learn on the fly

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

And as a student of the game you know ever corner gets beat. Therefore making the post moot. What is your point? Seems like you’re trying to say tru gets beat all the time when that’s a lie. He had gotten beat tho. So had Deion sanders, Rod Woodson, Darrell Revis and the best that ever played the game. Just trying to understand the point of the post that’s all because it literally proved nothing. You wanna prove a point to me show me the corner that never got beat. Pull footage of that guy up? 

Trufant is none of those guys. Such a cop out :tiphat:

11 minutes ago, Malachore said:

It says a lot compared to how bad the defense as a whole was. Again, and I’ve said many times along with @vel one thing is Manuel is a passive play caller. He sat back in cover 3 way more than he should’ve and for that reason alone, especially with lack of pressure up front it EXPOSES the secondary.  Especially when this defense is better in cover 1. Quinn is an aggressive play caller and wants the corners in faces. That will make a huge difference in tru’s coverage. Tru defiantly had his worst year as a falcon but he still wasn’t bad. And as I stated before it’s a combination of Manuel’s passive play calling and Rico not there.