FentayeJones

Desmond Trufant hints at a more aggressive defense

49 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sdogg said:

It just pisses me off that it has taken so long for this. It should have been done from the start. Wasted years. 

We’ve been trying to get a CB with good length and size over on Alford’s side for quite some time. Its why we rolled the dice on Collins a bit. It’s no coincidence our defense got more aggressive late in 2016 when Collins took over for Trufant. It’s paramount in DQs scheme if you want to jam up the receivers and play tight coverage to reduce the throwing window to a receiver. Maxwell was 6’1 207lbs w/ 33 1/2” arms and Sherman 6’3” 196lbs 32” arms.

With Alford being 5’10” 186lbs w/ 32” arms and Tru being w/31.25” arms, collectively they just didn’t have to kind of wingspan needed, just not great fits. 

Since joining the Seahawks in 2010, Carrol has drafted 8 CBs, each one with a minimum arm length of 32”. They were looking at Oliver who is 6’1” , 196lbs and has 33.5” arms. It we snagged him.

Tru still isn’t the best fit, but his elite athleticism should offset that a little, but having Oliver on the other side, this may work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldnt have mattered last year we didnt have the pass rush or coverage ability to make a difference.  This year we possibly have both.

QBs will have to make almost perfect throws.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, vel said:

I remember when trolls actually could spit venom. Now they cry wolf the moment somebody pushes back just a little bit...

Have a blessed day brother. Hope it’s full of happiness and your wildest dreams come true :tiphat:

Edited by ButSkiuup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

Have a blessed day brother. Hope it’s full of happiness and your wildest dreams come true :tiphat:

You too. And I root for you to be a better troll. Put more effort into it. I've seen better. It's early though. Not even 500 posts. A lot of room for growth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, vel said:

You too. And I root for you to be a better troll. Put more effort into it. I've seen better. It's early though. Not even 500 posts. A lot of room for growth. 

What would I do without your advice? Have a nice day :tiphat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sdogg said:

It just pisses me off that it has taken so long for this. It should have been done from the start. Wasted years. 

^^^^ This. I can't stand watching a spongey, reactive defense. Always backpedaling, always giving up free yards before doing anything constructive.

That ain't real defense, that's just going through the dam motions and hoping like hel the offense will make enough mistakes to keep you from looking like a recreation league defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

^^^^ This. I can't stand watching a spongey, reactive defense. Always backpedaling, always giving up free yards before doing anything constructive.

That ain't real defense, that's just going through the dam motions and hoping like hel the offense will make enough mistakes to keep you from looking like a recreation league defense.

Bingo!  I like Quinn and all and want him to succeed, but he should have brought an attacking style defense in year 1. No need to wait till his job is on the line to make all these changes. I'm sick of our soft, bend don't break, nobody is scared of our D, defense. He should be embarrassed how they just get abused, even abused by rookie and journeyman QB's. Talk is cheap. I've heard it for 38 years. Time to man up. 

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sdogg said:

Bingo!  I like Quinn and all and want him to succeed, but he should have brought an attacking style defense in year 1. No need to wait till his job is on the line to make all these changes. I'm sick of our side, bend don't break, nobody is scared of our D, defense. He should be embarrassed how they just get abused, even abused by rookie and journeyman QB's. Talk is cheap. I've heard it for 38 years. Time to man up. 

I mean.... He had never been a head coach before. I'd rather DQ be a good head coach first, since that's why he was hired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vel said:

I mean.... He had never been a head coach before. I'd rather DQ be a good head coach first, since that's why he was hired. 

5 years later, he has to go back to being a DC/HC, for the 2nd time (half season in 16). Seems like he's having the same issue Richt had at finding a good DC. Maybe he needs to make sure his future DC shares his same philosophy?  

vel, PokerSteve and Drew4719 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gazoo said:

We’ve been trying to get a CB with good length and size over on Alford’s side for quite some time. Its why we rolled the dice on Collins a bit. It’s no coincidence our defense got more aggressive late in 2016 when Collins took over for Trufant. It’s paramount in DQs scheme if you want to jam up the receivers and play tight coverage to reduce the throwing window to a receiver. Maxwell was 6’1 207lbs w/ 33 1/2” arms and Sherman 6’3” 196lbs 32” arms.

With Alford being 5’10” 186lbs w/ 32” arms and Tru being w/31.25” arms, collectively they just didn’t have to kind of wingspan needed, just not great fits. 

Since joining the Seahawks in 2010, Carrol has drafted 8 CBs, each one with a minimum arm length of 32”. They were looking at Oliver who is 6’1” , 196lbs and has 33.5” arms. It we snagged him.

Tru still isn’t the best fit, but his elite athleticism should offset that a little, but having Oliver on the other side, this may work. 

Tru was the best press corner in the NFL in 2016 & 2017.  He isn’t a problem, rather a strength

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sdogg said:

5 years later, he has to go back to being a DC/HC, for the 2nd time (half season in 16). Seems like he's having the same issue Richt had at finding a good DC. Maybe he needs to make sure his future DC shares his same philosophy?  

I agree there. I think that's more of the argument than blaming him outright. He's gotta trust the guys he's hired, but I give him credit for not sticking with Smith or Manuel too long. The defense wasn't being coached like he needed it to be and instead of hoping to find a DC who can do it, he took the reins himself. Now, if the defense doesn't look better this year, then the heat will be real. 

Ergo Proxy, sdogg, Drew4719 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sdogg said:

It just pisses me off that it has taken so long for this. It should have been done from the start. Wasted years. 

That was his struggle when he first got hired. Calling the defense or not. But as a first time coach he wanted to be attentive to the entire team. You can’t be as a coordinator to one side. You’ll miss some series in games. He should’ve but that was his issue. Now that he has 3 former OC’s on the offensive side he can trust them to handle the offense while he handles the defense. Even BB just took over as DC for the pats this season. But he had some pretty good DC’s over the years. And of course his OC’s were good. Really only 1 all these years. Weiss and McDaniels. I expect it to be a great year with him running the defense. 

PokerSteve, Drew4719, vel and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vel said:

I agree there. I think that's more of the argument than blaming him outright. He's gotta trust the guys he's hired, but I give him credit for not sticking with Smith or Manuel too long. The defense wasn't being coached like he needed it to be and instead of hoping to find a DC who can do it, he took the reins himself. Now, if the defense doesn't look better this year, then the heat will be real. 

Was he coaching when they blew the 25 poi:ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Tru was the best press corner in the NFL in 2016 & 2017.  He isn’t a problem, rather a strength

My point was scheme specific about reducing the throwing lane window using length, wingspan. 

There are a lot of great press corners with arms shorter than would be not be ideal for DQ and Carrols scheme 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

Was he coaching when they blew the 25 poi:ninja:

Yep. The same defense that had the pick six and held the Patriots to 3 points for three quarters. No defense can win a game playing 90+ snaps, not matter how good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vel said:

Yep. The same defense that had the pick six and held the Patriots to 3 points for three quarters. No defense can win a game playing 90+ snaps, not matter how good. 

Had a fumble that set up the first TD too. Simply put the offense should’ve kept scoring. Ppl act like the eagles just beat them to a pulp. No they made the same push they made against us. The difference is Philly kept scoring. We scored what? 7 points in the second half? Those 3 little points they left on the field was the difference in a Lombardi and nothing. 

vel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Had a fumble that set up the first TD too. Simply put the offense should’ve kept scoring. Ppl act like the eagles just beat them to a pulp. No they made the same push they made against us. The difference is Philly kept scoring. We scored what? 7 points in the second half? Those 3 little points they left on the field was the difference in a Lombardi and nothing. 

Yep. Went into halftime 21-3. Opened up with a TD drive and didn't score a single point from then on. Gave the defense a short field to defend after some short drives. It was more offensive futility than the defense folding. They averaged 30 ppg and only scored 21 in the SB. The defense really only gave up 21 points in regulation since they scored 7 of their own. And played a full game and a half worth of snaps. People conveniently ignore that part. 

Marcotu6 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vel said:

Yep. Went into halftime 21-3. Opened up with a TD drive and didn't score a single point from then on. Gave the defense a short field to defend after some short drives. It was more offensive futility than the defense folding. They averaged 30 ppg and only scored 21 in the SB. The defense really only gave up 21 points in regulation since they scored 7 of their own. And played a full game and a half worth of snaps. People conveniently ignore that part. 

Definitely on the offense, BB made halftime adjustments and KS didn’t.  KS blew the SB not MR or the defense.  Still pisses me off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marcotu6 said:

Definitely on the offense, BB made halftime adjustments and KS didn’t.  KS blew the SB not MR or the defense.  Still pisses me off

KS also made the SB calling all the right plays until :wiggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

KS also made the SB calling all the right plays until :wiggle:

100% agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordan Miller, 6',5/8ths' tall, arm length 32.7/8ths, vertical of 37", wingspan 76½"

This is EXACTLY a fit in DQs scheme as far as "length".  The passing window is reduced, especially in the short field....the QB had to drop a ball perfectly on an arc into the receivers hands if they are 10 or 15 yards off LOS running a go and CB is right on them if they have a wide wingspan. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is Dan Quinn in 2014 on MMQB

In his four seasons in Seattle, coach Pete Carroll had drafted according to a prototype, which defensive coordinator Dan Quinn explains here in great detail.

Length: You want him to have 32- or 33-inch arms,” Quinn says. “He doesn’t have to be 6-3 or 6-4 to have length.”

Press ability/physicality: “You might not get to see him play on the line in college, but does he have the strength to potentially do it?”

Vision: “Can he track the ball? On plays that are down the field, his back is going to be to the ball. Even if you didn’t see when the QB threw it, you have to be able to quickly locate it.”

Ball skills: “Did he play hoops? Sometimes, if a guy played receiver, that can be cool too. For whatever reason it didn’t work out at receiver, he still has to have good ball skills.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now