Monoxide

Matt Ryan #69 on NFL top 100 players

131 posts in this topic

Just now, JeffAtl said:

If the players respected Matt, they wouldn't have voted him as only the 69th best player in the league.

Players only vote their top 20

For further detail, and just how misleading this whole thing is and how it's incredibly dumb to get upset over it...

Ideally, all players would do it.  This year, the league says only 481 of them actually did.  That’s 28.3 percent of all active players.

“All players are given the opportunity to vote through ballots we send to all 32 teams around Thanksgiving,” NFL Network spokesman Alex Riethmiller told PFT via email.  “For convenience sake, we try to time it with Pro Bowl balloting, so they can do them together.  In addition to ballots collected that way, we also give ballots to many of the players that we interview for our shows.  This year, in total, we received 481 votes.”

To vote, each player lists only his top 20 players in the league.  The player listed at No. 1 gets 20 points, the player listed at No. 2 gets 19 points, and the process continues until the player listed at No. 20 gets one point.

So it’s really not a “top 100” list.  It’s the 100 players who received the highest vote totals from players who attempted to list their personal top 20, presumably without the benefit of all 32 rosters or starting lineups or Pro Bowl qualifiers or anything else that would ensure they aren’t accidentally overlooking someone as they pull 20 names out of thin air.

Also there's that 28.3 number again my goodness the universe hates us.

This list has always been a popularity contest. Everyone knows it. No real value should be given to it. Just for entertainment. The end. 

19 minutes ago, Norwood all the way! said:

This list has always been a popularity contest. Everyone knows it. No real value should be given to it. Just for entertainment. The end. 

So we shouldn’t be happy when Julio is top 10? :ninja:

3 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

Well it's for entertainment so people can find joy and happiness in it if they want. I'm not gonna stop anyone. I was just saying it's not a very good metric to really rank how good a player is.

PokerSteve likes this

48 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

QBs are respected for 3 primary reasons (1) SB wins (especially early in your career), (2) extending plays, and/or (3) being a gunslinger.  If you're not one of those, you're just not going to get any love from the media, players or fans.  

Rivers is pretty much the only exception.

Ryan is none of those so until he gets a SB win, he will always struggle to even be considered the clear #2 or #3 QB in his own division.  

Hmm.. sorry don't buy it. Everyone was all over Drew Breeses nuts despite not being one of those three before he won the superbowl. Same for Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck etc.

The good thing is that Ryan could care less about lists like these - he knows he is among the best paid in the NFL which is what counts.

17 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Until Matt Ryan wins the big one I guess it's going to be held against him.

Ok. What if Andrew Luck gets a higher pick? You know it's gonna happen. 

16 hours ago, Dem Birds said:

Exactly. It's quite simply the Atlanta effect. It's real. I know we like to complain about lack of respect but it's one thing for the media to think our team isn't good enough to win, but another to look at what Matt Ryan does on a yearly basis and basically dismiss it. If he played in New York, he'd be a poster boy for the NFL. 

I dont totally think it's a Atlanta thing... Julio gets his respect...

I think Matt Ryan went 0-3 in his first 3 playoffs games so ppl just have that image baked in there head... He is a good QB ... Just not good enough to be top tier.

The dude has won the mvp... made 2 nfc championship games and a super bowl since then

Schwarzwald likes this

26 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I think Matt Ryan went 0-3 in his first 3 playoffs games so ppl just have that image baked in there head... He is a good QB ... Just not good enough to be top tier.

The dude has won the mvp... made 2 nfc championship games and a super bowl since then

Conclusion: People suck

Another big factor: National perception is Atlanta fans hate or blame Matt Ryan

Media keeps pot stirred and meanwhile truth is obscured because if it's not their team why care about a traditional pocket passer?.

Especially when you can watch a mobile QB gunsling it and try to find the next Rodgers or Wilson. :shrug:

Meanwhile, Ryan has outplayed them 3 years running. :tiphat:

Bigbenright likes this

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

I thought about Julio and yeah, he gets it from a lot of places, but even he gets a little disrespect, at least from fans (and Madden lol) Not players as much. And maybe that's just their bias. The media really is the culprit behind the lack of respect for Ryan. They push false narratives and don't really cover Ryan as much, I guess because he's perceived as vanilla. 

The top 100 list is also a massively flawed voting system, only allowing players to make a top 20.  You know those top twenties don't have a 100 different players on them lol. They fill the list out. They have to. 

atljbo likes this

19 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

The good thing is that Ryan could care less about lists like these - he knows he is among the best paid in the NFL which is what counts.

And speaking of a true, accurate metric of your standing in the league, the amount you get paid is excellent in determining where you stand among your peers.

20 hours ago, ButSkiuup said:

If there are 9 better players than Julio I’d love to know who they are.  I can make a solid argument he should be #1 since 2015

Schwarzwald and nomak like this

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

If there are 9 better players than Julio I’d love to know who they are.  I can make a solid argument he should be #1 since 2015

I’m pretty sure 1 will be Aaron Donald

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

That’s a toss up IMO.  Donald isn’t a good run defender.  Julio has no part of his game that isn’t elite

He doesn’t have the most dependable hands. Both Ridley and Julio were top 5 in drops last year

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

He and ryan both should be top 10

Schwarzwald likes this

1 hour ago, ButSkiuup said:

He doesn’t have the most dependable hands. Both Ridley and Julio were top 5 in drops last year

LOL, you guys tickle me. 

Two of greatest WRers in NFL history (Rice and Owens) had drops as well. 

Schwarzwald likes this

Baker at 50 after 2/3 of a season. The hype machine is real. NFL trying to draw interest..

i am guessing Barkley will be top 10, which is premature but maybe not too far fetched.

Schwarzwald likes this