Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reeves

Fall Camp Thread

96 posts in this topic

J.R. Reed on James Cook:

ATHENS — The Georgia football running back stable is stacked with talent, and no one knows that better than veteran first-team All-SEC safety J.R. Reed.

Projected started D’Andre Swift has been talked about among Heisman Trophy contenders provided he can stay healthy, and redshirt freshman Zamir White is making headlines with his comeback from last year’s torn ACL.

But sophomore James Cook looks to be someone to keep an eye on, too, Reed suggested following Thursday’s practice.

“Cook is just a lot, he’s just so fast, man, he’s so fast, he’s hard to touch,” Reed said. “He has really good balance, it’s hard to get him out of bounds, he’ll cut those corners and there will be an inch on the sideline, and he’ll  tightrope it all the way down it to the end zone.

“You have to be really, really tight on your angles with Cook, because he’ll either cut it back or he’ll turn it up on you, so you have to be smart and track that hip.”

g-dawg, sdogg and RandomFan like this

Reed on Zamir White:

White, the No. 1-ranked tailback in the 2018 class, has shown he’s ready to run with authority in fall camp, and Reed has felt that as much as seen it.

“I’ve been able to fill the hole on Zamir a lot of times, really big psychical running back ,I feel sorry for the guys that have to go against him,” Reed said. “He reminds me of (Nick) Chubb, especially running the ball, how physical he is and downhill, and that’s the biggest thing that comes to my mind.”

Reed said White’s offseason workouts were so impressive, he felt confident he would make a healthy return even before his first full contact in fall drills.

“Once you see a guy work out like that in the summer and see that he’s ready to go, that’s when you know he’s back,” Reed said. “Once he’s comfortable doing the drills, and once you see he’s comfortable cutting off that foot, that’s when you know he’s back.”

RandomFan and sdogg like this

I hope we use Cook and White early in the season to make things difficult for teams with game planning and zeroing in on Swift and to keep him fresh for the stretch. Cook needs to be lined up all over the field and put into motion a lot. He's a touchdown waiting to happen and forcing a defense to put eyes on him is gonna make them a step late and a couple steps out of position. 

g-dawg, sdogg and Macknsweetjones like this

3 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Cook needs to be lined up all over the field and put into motion a lot. He's a touchdown waiting to happen and forcing a defense to put eyes on him is gonna make them a step late and a couple steps out of position. 

Absolutely.

If Cook has indeed put on some mass and is fully healthy, there’s no reason he doesn’t 10-12 carries a game. He’s a better version of Keith Marshall with his speed because he has great balance.

My guess is that Cook gets more carries than expected early in the year with Herrien getting in next.

As the season progresses and assuming Zeus stays healthy, I think Zeus takes even more of Herrien’s carries, especially late in games.

herrien is a DGD, but I think he gets passed pretty quickly by the younger guys.

sdogg likes this

More from Dawgnation:

Defensive line: Travon comin’

Georgia has a lot of upperclassmen on the defensive line. But it has been freshman Travon Walker who has created a ton of buzz this fall.

Walker is the only 5-star prospect in the group and his athleticism is a big reason why he’s been able to stand out so far.

The freshman still has a number of quality players to try and surpass on the depth chart, but if Walker lives up to his teammates’ reviews, it will be hard for Smart and defensive coordinator Dan Lanning to keep him off the field this fall.

Inside linebacker: Three-man unit

Nakobe Dean was the talk of practice during the first week. And his impressive start has made a top-two of Monty Rice and Tae Crowder into a three-man group.

And Smart made it clear that those three players have all distanced themselves from the rest of the inside linebackers.

“You want to have this continuity of two or three guys who are ready to go out there and play,” Smart said. “We don’t have much separation right now, especially among our top three. I thought last year we were able to spell and keep guys fresh by playing three.”

Defensive backs: Havoc is coming

For a long time, Smart has been bullish on the Georgia secondary. J.R. Reed, Richard LeCounte, Eric Stokes and Tyson Campbell have all played significant snaps and still have room to improve.

All three newcomers in the secondary — Lewis Cine, Tyrique Stevenson and D.J. Daniel — have impressed early on as well.

Reed spoke with reporters on Thursday night and provided a further glimpse into how the secondary performed during the first scrimmage.

“The interceptions of the last scrimmage and the turnovers of this last scrimmage, we’ve never had that in the last two years, so that’s a big jump,” Reed said.

If the secondary is able to create those havoc plays Smart loves to talk about, this could easily be the best defense Georgia has had in a long time.

Outside linebacker: Depth is still really good after Cox

Smart isn’t at all concerned about the depth of the outside linebacker room after the departure of Brenton Cox. In the past week,  Cox enrolled at Florida. While the Gators are hoping for him to be eligible this season, the odds of that happening aren’t all that good.

Back to Georgia’s outside linebacker room, Azeez Ojulari, Nolan Smith, Jermaine Johnson and Walter Grant have all continued to alleviate any concerns about the loss of a former 5-star prospect.

But a bigger reason why the Cox defection might not be so big is that Georgia may not play a ton of outside linebackers this year.

“We have one of them on the field on most snaps,” Smart said. “If we have one of them on the field and there’s six of them, I wish we were that deep at every position. We don’t. Sometimes we get two of them in regular but not a lot of people play regular anymore.”

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

J.R. Reed on James Cook:

ATHENS — The Georgia football running back stable is stacked with talent, and no one knows that better than veteran first-team All-SEC safety J.R. Reed.

Projected started D’Andre Swift has been talked about among Heisman Trophy contenders provided he can stay healthy, and redshirt freshman Zamir White is making headlines with his comeback from last year’s torn ACL.

But sophomore James Cook looks to be someone to keep an eye on, too, Reed suggested following Thursday’s practice.

“Cook is just a lot, he’s just so fast, man, he’s so fast, he’s hard to touch,” Reed said. “He has really good balance, it’s hard to get him out of bounds, he’ll cut those corners and there will be an inch on the sideline, and he’ll  tightrope it all the way down it to the end zone.

“You have to be really, really tight on your angles with Cook, because he’ll either cut it back or he’ll turn it up on you, so you have to be smart and track that hip.”

We need to put this D'Andre Swift for Heisman talk to bed right now.   Swift is phenomenal but we are too deep and White, Cook and Herrien are all gonna get carries and should get carries.   Swift has the tendency to get nicked up and there is just no sense in overusing him.

Swift will have a phenomenal year and won't garner enough stats to win a Heisman - which has mostly turned into a QB trophy anyway.

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

We need to put this D'Andre Swift for Heisman talk to bed right now.   Swift is phenomenal but we are too deep and White, Cook and Herrien are all gonna get carries and should get carries.   Swift has the tendency to get nicked up and there is just no sense in overusing him.

Swift will have a phenomenal year and won't garner enough stats to win a Heisman - which has mostly turned into a QB trophy anyway.

We actually don't. Will he win it? I wouldn't bet on it with your money. But the talk is beneficial for us and our recruiting efforts... Blast away media. Blast away.

8 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

We actually don't. Will he win it? I wouldn't bet on it with your money. But the talk is beneficial for us and our recruiting efforts... Blast away media. Blast away.

Yeah, I don't care if the media wants to talk about it - I just don't wanna use up Swift and we all know Kirby/Dell/Coley aren't gonna do that anyway.   If I had to guess today - and it's highly speculative.

Swift - 40% of carries

Zamir - 30% of carries

Cook - 15% of carries

Herrien - 10% of carries

Others - 5% of carries

Wouldn't even be surprised if Swift & Zamir's carry percentage was lower because when we start blowing people out, they will be sitting at halftime in the cupcake games.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah, I don't care if the media wants to talk about it - I just don't wanna use up Swift and we all know Kirby/Dell/Coley aren't gonna do that anyway.   If I had to guess today - and it's highly speculative.

Swift - 40% of carries

Zamir - 30% of carries

Cook - 15% of carries

Herrien - 10% of carries

Others - 5% of carries

Wouldn't even be surprised if Swift & Zamir's carry percentage was lower because when we start blowing people out, they will be sitting at halftime in the cupcake games.

I could see:

Swift - 35%

Zeus - 20%

Herrien - 25%

Cook - 20%

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Swift - 40% of carries

Zamir - 30% of carries

Cook - 15% of carries

Herrien - 10% of carries

Others - 5% of carries

I'd wager against Zamir getting 30% of RB carries... Herrien will out touch White and Cook as a RB at least through the mid-point of the season IMO. The coaches like him, he runs hard, and has proven to be tough/durable... Cook will likely see his *total* yardage as a significant percentage, but only once you combine rushing, receiving, and return yards this year.

I do think the coaches may not give Swift a ton of carries prior to the ND game, and once again prior to Florida and the late season stretch. Somewhere in the 12-16 carries/game is probably the range I'd anticipate depending on the caliber of opponent up until Florida. In the late season stretch, he'll probably start to trend to the higher end of that range if not exceeding it... (knock on wood, all of this is assuming health of not only Swift but other backs as well.)

Georgia players with most to gain from second scrimmage

ByJAKE ROWE 6 minutes ago

Georgia will hold its second and final scrimmage of the preseason on Saturday and it's a big one. As we've pointed out already, the workout, which will serve as the Bulldogs 14th practice of the preseason, will go a long way toward determining what the depth chart looks like to begin the season and which players will be on the plane to Nashville for the season opener.

Let's go ahead and make this clear, we won't get to see any of the good stuff. Reporters will get approximately 10 minutes to watch the team while it warms up but only a select few outside of Georgia's coaching staff, support staff, and players will see the real action.

We'll have our ear to the ground to get a read on what happened, and when we do, there are some players we think we might hear about making a move. Below, Dawgs247 takes a look at the players who have a ton to gain when the Bulldogs go into Sanford Stadium on Saturday.

CB DJ Daniel: Labeled as "a pleasant surprise" by Kirby Smart a week ago, Daniel got a lot of reps with the No. 1 defense in the first scrimmage. He'll probably get the same opportunity on Saturday and will have a chance to earn himself a major role in the defense. Mel Tucker really liked to lock in on his top two cornerbacks and give those guys nearly all of the reps, but the buzz we've been hearing is that Smart would like to use three or four guys in that role going forward. Daniel, with a strong scrimmage, can all but cement himself in one of those spots.

WR Matt Landers: There are a number of wideouts we could go with here but Landers is the pick because he's just so talented. The consistency hasn't been there but the flashes have. He went a few practice media-viewing periods with a drop early in camp but has caught just about everything thrown his way for the past week or so. He's big, he runs well, and he can separate. Now he just has to continue gaining confidence and become a reliable guy when he's targeted.

DE Travon Walker: The freshman from Thomaston, Ga. shined in his first scrimmage. With David Marshall still dealing with the effects of foot surgery last season and Julian Rochester coming off a knee injury, there are reps at defensive end to be had. Walker, who is listed at 6-foot-5 290 pounds, can increase his 2019 snap count before the season even starts if he performs like he did last week. His athleticism and explosiveness off the football could add another dimension to this defensive front.

RG Cade Mays and Ben Cleveland: Right now we'd bet heavily on both of these guys getting a lot of playing time in 2019, at least to start the season. We expect some sort of rotation early on and it could be that way throughout the year. Saturday's scrimmage, however, will carry some serious weight when it comes to who'll get the starting nod. Their both massive, powerful humans but their games are very different. Cleveland is more of a mauler in the trenches and one of the most physically imposing players in College Football. Mays is a little more athletic and a better pass protector. One of them will have to really improve on their weaker areas to pull away.

DB Mark Webb and Divaad Wilson: Like right guard, this position battle has been ongoing since the spring. It's a really important one, too. Webb has the edge right now but Wilson has the talent and competitiveness to take it from him. Whoever doesn't win the job is likely to become the sixth defensive back in Georgia's dime package. We may sound like a broken record here, but this is yet another situation where both guys have a huge opportunity to earn a role for themselves.

fibonaccisquared and RandomFan like this

57 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Cook needs to be used as a WR out the back field ...make him out Darren Sproles 

Yeah, I'd like to see him all over the field.

discussion on Dawgnation forum that Nakobe Dean wasn't at practice today - speculation of injury - then more speculation that he might have had a concussion.

take all of the above w/ grain of salt - if any truth to any of it - hopefully it is minor.

What's the word on Travon Walker in camp - heard of him moving fast but not much else.  Do you guys speculate he will make early rotations as back-up?

46 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

What's the word on Travon Walker in camp - heard of him moving fast but not much else.  Do you guys speculate he will make early rotations as back-up?

I expect he will play a bunch.

fibonaccisquared and g-dawg like this

On 8/15/2019 at 1:38 PM, fibonaccisquared said:

Don't believe that is accurate. All reports I've heard were that he came out after the media left, but no one said anything about practicing. At this point, it's probably a nothingburger, but as Brandon Adams mentioned on his podcast, Smart does have a history of not being particularly forthcoming with what's going on with Swift in particular... whether it was his groin last season or his ankle this spring. I say let him have as much time and treatment as he needs... we need him for the stretch run late... no need to overutilize him in the first few weeks.

I saw an nfl scout said he was practicing after he came out late. I’ll see if I can come up with where I saw that. I’m not that concerned, he said he was just getting treatment and was late. A lot of guys are dealing with bumps and bruises but nothing major.

1 hour ago, richham said:

I saw an nfl scout said he was practicing after he came out late. I’ll see if I can come up with where I saw that. I’m not that concerned, he said he was just getting treatment and was late. A lot of guys are dealing with bumps and bruises but nothing major.

Most back channels comments indicate that he went through concussion protocol... 

Doesn't sound like it was a concussion for sure but that they were being cautious. Either way, he's back and operating in full. 

Edited by fibonaccisquared