Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reeves

Fall Camp Thread

96 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So who’s gotten all the buzz throughout the offseason now that spring and summer are all but over?

Any players not in the starting 22 that are ready to make that move in a few weeks?

Any solid contributors last year that are about to become AA type players?

Who are the starters at WR?

Whats the word? I’m ready to drink the koolaid.

Edited by Reeves

Posted (edited)

Azeez Ojulari is primed for a huge year at OLB. Doubt it matters much who the starters are at WR since we'll probably rotate that spot heavily all season unless somebody emerges. I'd expect Simmons, Cager, and Robinson to be called on early in the season primarily, with the opportunity for camp to allow any number of 1st or 2nd year players the possibility of stepping up. Wouldn't at all be surprised is Pickens and/or Blaylock are two of the top WRs in the rotation by the end of the season, especially Pickens.  

Edited by RandomFan

What’s the feel on the DL?

I expect to be better than most outsiders/national analysts expect, but we need guys like Clark and Wyatt and Herring to continue progressing. And of course, J. Davis must continue to be the rock in the middle.

can we be dominant in the front seven?

Curious about the corners.. stokes nailing down a spot? Campbell, dj Daniels maybe the other? Just hope the dL is tough and we bring the pressure early and often. 

3 hours ago, Reeves said:

What’s the feel on the DL?

I expect to be better than most outsiders/national analysts expect, but we need guys like Clark and Wyatt and Herring to continue progressing. And of course, J. Davis must continue to be the rock in the middle.

can we be dominant in the front seven?

Herring has gotten some buzz... We need Davis to be healthy and keep weight under control. Marshall is supposedly back and healthy after the Lisfranc injury. Haven't heard much buzz about the rest of the DL. Frankly, that's ok... I want them all hungry for some attention come time for the season to start. I 

I have no idea if we can be dominant in the front 7... I do know that we need the front 7 to create more disruptive "havoc" plays this year. 

18 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Curious about the corners.. stokes nailing down a spot? Campbell, dj Daniels maybe the other? Just hope the dL is tough and we bring the pressure early and often. 

Stokes has one. Presumably Campbell is battling out for the other outside spot. There is a tight competition at Nickel/Star with Divaad Wilson and Mark Webb supposedly at the front of the pack going into camp. Early reports on Stevenson were that he's going to challenge for time, but it's a deep room, so no telling how that shakes out just yet. I haven't heard anything on DJ Daniel yet personally. Guessing he'll be fighting with Campbell for the other starting spot?

Trey Blount - ready to play major role or Jayson Stanley part 2 (the WR who just comes in to do some blocking)?

Hopefully on the DL Rochester, Clark,Barnett, Herring etc will be playing for money as far as NFL prospects go since it’s rhe last go around for most of them and be a dominant group who plays like their collective hair is on fire

D’Wan Mathis partially cleared. No contact but will participate in non-contact drills.

Zeus is cleared, as expected.

everyone else is cleared and ready to go, including freshmen and DL who missed spring.

sdogg and AutumnEffect like this

As always, we start with the quarterbacks where it was up-and-down for everyone but Jake Fromm. As you'd expect from the junior quarterback, he was really sharp during the routes-on-air portion of practice. His throws were on time and on target. We noted this spring that we felt like he had a little more zip on the ball and we felt like that was a case again today. This is specifically evident when driving the ball downfield.

May be a little off here but it seemed to me that when Fromm, as a freshman and sophomore, threw a fade or seam route, he had to put a little under it to get it where it was going. Today I saw him drive in a couple of those routes to the middle of the field. One was to Lawrence Cager and was placed in a perfect spot where he could catch it and explode upfield.

Stetson Bennett had a couple of bad misfires and both were to the outside. One was on an outside curl where he was wide of the mark. The other was an out route that was thrown too high for his receiver to even jump for it. D'Wan Mathis had some nice throws to the middle of the field but struggled to the outside. Only one pass hit the ground but his receivers had to throw on the brakes or contort their body to make the play.

Zamir White looked moved around really well based on what I saw. I didn't see a limp but I did see some sharp cuts and a guy that looked maybe even more confident than he did last preseason camp. I didn't see a knee brace, either. He's a little slimmer than I expected but it can be tough to keep the weight on during rigorous rehabilitation. 

Another guy I thought was a little thin was Kenny McIntosh. Maybe he carries it well, but he doesn't look like a 218-pound running back to me. He's well put together but to the naked eye, he looked either the same size or a little smaller than Brian Herrien, who is listed at 6-feet, 210 pounds and looks it. The freshman running back did, however, look rally natural catching the football.

I saw some really good stuff from the wide receivers today. Rusty and I both saw a really nice catch from Demetris Robertson near the sideline where he reached and plucked the ball out of the air before going out of bounds. I also saw Georgia Pickens, who was wearing No. 83 instead of his listed number of No. 1, make a leaping, lunging grab near the sideline and drag his second foot to get both in bounds. He also dropped an easy ball on a comeback route.

Trey Blount twisted midair to grab a pass thrown by Bennett and Cager hauled in everything thrown his way, I was also impressed with Dominick Blaylock's quickness and Makiya Tongue's speed in general. For a big guy, Tongue explodes off the line of scrimmage and seemed to catch another gear on a deep route.

Charlie Woerner and John FitzPatrick are the only tight ends who don't look skinny to me. That's to be expected from Brett Seither and Ryland Goede, both freshmen, but I thought Wolf is a thin-looking 238 pounds. That's smallish for a tight end but he doesn't appear that big. I watched those guys go through blocking drills and was impressed with Wolf's punch and effort in that area. He blocks with a wide base and was locking out the defender without a problem.

As Smart noted over the summer, Woerner is in tremendous shape and it doesn't take an expert to look at that group and tell who the No. 1 tight end is. He's just on a different level whether he's running routes or going through blocking drills.

- One of the most interesting things I saw today was on the offensive line where Cade Mays was getting some work at center. That may just be one of those things Sam Pittman is working on during the early part of camp to build depth, but it's something we've yet to see from the sophomore. As far as the first-team goes, it was Andrew Thomas, Solomon Kindley, Trey Hill, Ben Cleveland, and Isaiah Wilson from left to right. I didn't get a good look at the second team.

Today was our first look at Xavier Truss, who looks the part and then some. He's a really big dude who moves well. He's also incredibly long.

- A few things stuck out to me on the defensive line but nothing more so than David Marshall. I watched those guys do a drill where they were reading blocks and adjusting accordingly on the fly, and he has to be one of the strongest players on the team pound-for-pound. He fired out and punched a fellow defensive lineman, who was the blocker on the play, in the chest so hard that the guy backed up and said a four-letter word.

Zion Logue is a big human being and light on his feet while Tymon Mitchell, who has reshaped his body some, seems to be a long-term fit at the nose tackle position.

Travon Walker stood out to me because he could already be one of the most athletic guys in the group. There's a quickness there that you don't normally see from a guy who is listed at 290 pounds. He's also really long. Bill Norton, listed at 285 pounds, is bigger than I imagined and also a little more compact. I get the impression that he's going to be a three-technique down the line but I won't surprise me if he's able to play some at defensive end, too.

One more note here, Jordan Davis looks like the same Jordan Davis I saw during practices last year. If he's heavier than his ideal weight of 320 pounds, it isn't by much.

I watched the inside linebackers for a few minutes where, as expected, Tae Crowder and Monty Rice were leading the way. The second team was Channing Tindall and Quay Walker but I saw Nakobe Dean getting some work with Walker there, too. It was our first opportunity to see Trezmen Marshall and Rian Davis in action and I was very much impressed with Marshall. He and Dean really standout in that group when it comes to speed and quickness. Marshall can really fly downhill but I didn't get to see him move much laterally. Davis is also really athletic, just not quite as explosive when it comes to drill work. That all may change in team periods.

- Georgia's most impressive position group on the hoof is outside linebacker and it's not very close. Azeez Ojulari appears to have added some good weight and is put together like an edge-rushing prototype. There's no way he hasn't gotten a lot stronger when you compare how he looked last year to how he looks now. Jermaine Johnson and Brenton Cox are in the same boat when it comes to the prototypical edge rushers. Robert Beal also appears a little bigger and was showing more energy and a higher motor than I've seen from him before in practice. In the past, he has been a guy who has had his hands on his hips early on but today he was full speed the entire time.

Based on what I saw today, Adam Anderson hasn't put on much weight. I could be wrong on that but he still looks really thin to me. That's not a big deal because he's more of a third-down guy at his current weight and UGA needs that. I watched Nolan Smith during a pass rush drill and he turned the corner on a bag with his chest about six inches from the ground and never lost any speed. He's going to help this team early and often. He's different than the rest of the guy because he's built a little lower to the ground to being with and has a more compact frame but with long arms.

- I saw the STAR/Nickel guys working with the offense early during the viewing period and it was Mark Webb running with the ones, Divaad Wilson with the twos, and William Poole with the threes. Poole is the only guy that looked noticeable different. He has added some mass in his upper body.

At safety, it was Richard LeCounte III and J.R. Reed getting the first-team reps followed by Otis Reese and Chris Smith. I'm pretty sure I saw Lewis Cine work in the second group some at both the left and right safety positions. Smith is another guy who has gotten a little bigger and that's much-needed considering he played at around 180 pounds last year.

- The cornerbacks and wide receivers were working on a release drill where I was really impressed with Tyson Campbell. He worked against Matt Landers and Lawrence Cager and did a good job jamming both guys and slowing them at the line of scrimmage. The sophomore cornerback was pretty feisty and physical. I also saw a couple of nice reps from D.J. Daniel against Dominick Blaylock and Kearis Jackson. Divaad Wilson was beaten pretty handily on one rep by walk-on wideout Ty James out of Greater Atlanta Christian.

Posted (edited)

ATHENS, Ga. — Georgia media members were handed brand new, up-to-the-minute rosters as they went to the practice field Friday. And yet minutes later, when the wide receiver wearing No. 83 made an impressive catch near the sideline – jumping up and then landing both feet back in bounds – it only created confusion: There was no No. 83 on the roster. Was the roster so good that a last-minute walk-on was out here making great catches?

Not really. As it turned out, that was George Pickens, the five-star freshman, who had switched from No. 1 to No. 83 since the rosters were printed. And the very next time Pickens was thrown a pass, a simple slant over the middle, he dropped it.

“Ahhhhh!” Pickens yelled out, as he grabbed his helmet with both hands.

It showed either the rust of a first practice, or the growing pains that will come with great talent, or perhaps both. What is evident, as one scanned the field and saw five-stars with nearly every position group (tight end the only exception) is that this Georgia football team, practicing in its full iteration for the first time, could be the most talented in program history.

As Monty Rice, the junior inside linebacker, put it: “We got a lot of different dudes at different positions that can help this team out.”

That’s the main storyline right now for this Georgia team: The pure talent level. The overhanging question for this season can’t be answered until at least early December. First, the Bulldogs have to get there, as Kirby Smart and his players will take pains to point out. And so preseason practice began Friday, with no quarterback controversy or other major storylines, but plenty of other questions and issues to be resolved. Here’s what I can pass on after speaking to Smart, players and watching about 15 minutes of practice:

The receivers look good, at least

Pickens and graduate transfer Lawrence Cager both fill out a uniform well, joining redshirt sophomore Matt Landers to form a trio of 6-foot-5 targets for Jake Fromm. And freshman Dominick Blaylock, who made a nice reaching catch Friday, comes with speed and smarts along with his 6-foot frame.

Another intriguing sign was Demetris Robertson working first in the slot, ahead of redshirt freshman Kearis Jackson and Blaylock. It may not stay that way, but it’s a positive early sign for Robertson, who could by himself erase a lot of concerns about the unit. (Tyler Simmons, the team’s leading returning wide receiver with all of nine catches last year, was also working first team at one of the two outside spots.)

There are a lot of intangible questions to be answered with this very young and unproven group, from blocking to route-running to consistently catching the ball. But their pure talent level isn’t up for debate. Fromm, who said he’s been doing his best to form a rapport with the new guys, also acknowledged that on some level football is just football.

“They’ve played it since they were seven, too,” Fromm said. “At the end of the day, it’s just a football. You throw it and they catch it and make plays.”

Regarding Zamir White: ‘We’re in for a show’

White was working without a brace on either knee, both of which have required surgery over the last two years. And the plan, Smart said earlier in the day, was to treat the redshirt freshman “just like every other back” during practice, although that comes with a slight caveat: Georgia won’t practice with live contact until the first scrimmage, expected to be Aug. 10.

Still, there was a sense that White is really back now. He was already in good shape this spring but the team proceeded cautiously with him. Now they’re seeing what he can do.

“I was just talking to him about 20 minutes ago, he’s just so happy to play football again,” D’Andre Swift said Friday afternoon. “I asked him: ‘Are you ready? You all right?’ He was like: ‘Yeah I’m good, I’m ready, it just feels so good to be back.’”

Rice, who will be facing White on the other side of the field during offense-defense drills, was bullish.

“Zamir is a workhorse. In practice and camp it’s going to show what he has done, and what he has overcome,” Rice said, adding: “We’re in for a show.”

Monty Rice and his role

Speaking of Rice, he’s emerging as one of the focal points of this year’s defense. The junior was one of the four players selected to speak to the media Friday, and he’s coming off a season in which he was set to lead the team in tackles before injuries intervened.

Rice hurt his foot before Georgia’s game against UMass and ended up missing the rest of the season, including the SEC championship and Sugar Bowl.

“I feel like it was God’s way of telling me to slow down,” said Rice, who nonetheless has also been doing maintenance and preventive work in the offseason: Yoga, stretching, range of motion exercises, hot and cold tub.

Rice is going to have competition behind him, especially freshman Nakobe Dean, another one of those five-stars. But if Rice can stay healthy, he may be a sleeper All-SEC candidate.

“My expectation is that he leads our defense, that he gives us all he’s got and he competes and he teaches the younger players,” Smart said.

D’Wan Mathis practices

There was some question whether Mathis, the freshman quarterback, would be able to play this year after undergoing surgery for a brain cyst during the summer. But Mathis was in uniform and throwing to receivers Friday.

Mathis is not fully cleared but will be able to do passing and individual drills.

“Things that we know that he can be safe, and not take hit,” Smart said.

It could still be a redshirt season for Mathis, especially with the four-game rule. Stetson Bennett appears entrenched as the main backup to Fromm, and the team has also added a couple more walk-on quarterbacks: Freshman Nathan Priestley from Los Angeles, Calif., and Jes Sutherland, a graduate transfer from Samford, has joined the team as a walk-on. (Sutherland appeared in two games last year at Samford, an FCS school.) John Seter, a redshirt sophomore from Athens, also remains with the team.

How the offensive line is starting

The first team looks the same as it did to finish the spring: (left to right) Andrew Thomas, Solomon Kindley, Trey Hill, Ben Cleveland and Isaiah Wilson.

The more intriguing development was after that: Cade Mays was getting more than a few reps at center. Mays started as a true freshman last year at both tackle and guard. It’s not clear whether this was about turning Mays into a super-sub or pushing Hill. (My guess would be the former.)

What Kirby Smart has learned

That was what Smart was asked as he enters his fourth season as Georgia’s head coach, and he gave a quick answer:

“Don’t’ sweat the little things,” he said. “At the end of the day, there are a lot of big things going on. They are a lot more important than the little things and don’t sweat them, and whatever it is, keep moving because it will pass.”

What are some of the little things? Smart said he didn’t know, or at least he wouldn’t say, other than to point out the obvious: He’s still very much hands-on.

“There’s a lot of details I still really focus on because I like to,” he said.

And finally …

A few more bullet-point observations and thoughts:

– Jarvis Jones, the two-time All-American now back at Georgia as a student assistant, was working with the outside linebackers. Not a bad guy to have trying to coach up a few of those highly-talented players – including Walter Grant, who worked some with the tailbacks this spring but is back with the outside linebackers.

– Nick Williams, another Georgia defensive player earlier this decade, was working with the defensive linemen in his new role as a graduate assistant. Williams has been back with the team for a couple of years now, previously as a student assistant. He played defensive back at Georgia, then worked with the linebackers last year and is now with the defensive line. That’s a budding résumé for a young coach.

– James Cook definitely looks bigger than he did last year when he was a speedy but seemingly undersized freshman tailback. “We think he’s one of our most explosive players,” Smart said of Cook.

– Rodrigo Blankenship had an interesting answer when asked if he was working on anything new with his kickoffs: “Coach (Scott) Fountain, even going back to the spring, has talked about trying to diversify my portfolio with kickoffs. So I’m definitely going to be trying to work on some special kickoffs this season.”

– Smart sounded pretty confident about his secondary, even with Deandre Baker no longer around to clamp down on his side of the field. It’s not thatinexperienced, as Smart pointed out: “The group of men that we went out there in the bowl game with is the group we’re playing with now. … We were really young I felt like last year in the secondary, and now this year we have more experienced players and the best players are going to get to play.”

– Travon Walker, yet another five-star freshman, certainly doesn’t look as big as some of his fellow defensive lineman. (Walker is listed at 6-5 and 290 pounds.) But his weight does seem centered well, and his game seems reminiscent of Jonathan Ledbetter.

Edited by RandomFan

Is 5* all world OG Jamaree Salyer really gonna be a backup again this year?

I know we are loaded along the line and he is only a Sophomore but that is sick to think he cannot crack lineup.   What’s the word on  Jamaree?  Is he looking good but buried on depth chart or is he struggling at all in development right now?

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Is 5* all world OG Jamaree Salyer really gonna be a backup again this year?

I know we are loaded along the line and he is only a Sophomore but that is sick to think he cannot crack lineup.   What’s the word on  Jamaree?  Is he looking good but buried on depth chart or is he struggling at all in development right now?

I get what you’re saying but who is he exactly supposed to supplant. Soloman is one of the best guards in the league and maybe the nation. Ben Cleveland is a monster as well. He will be fine and if he’s not he will get passed, that’s why you take 4-5 OL almost every year 

Does anyone know the practice schedule today and the rest of camp? Is it always an afternoon practice?

TIA

15 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I get what you’re saying but who is he exactly supposed to supplant. Soloman is one of the best guards in the league and maybe the nation. Ben Cleveland is a monster as well. He will be fine and if he’s not he will get passed, that’s why you take 4-5 OL almost every year 

Agreed on the initial question you posed. If he doesn’t start until year 3 that’s a testament to Pittman and both Kindley and Cleveland, not a knock on Salyer.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more OL in addition to Thomas leave after this year due to high draft grades.

15 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Seems like Solomon Kindley must have improved through last year as I always got the impression that maybe Pittboss wanted to upgrade him pre-season last year.    More than likely Salyer will see time at some point as I would suspect he would be the first one off the bench should injury occur.

Heard anything about how Clay Webb is doing?  guess they just put on the pads a few days ago.  Maybe too soon to ask that question.

15 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Don't think you can leave Pickens off that list. 

I said the same but he said Pickens still has some work to do with the playbook. Not saying he won't play or contribute but if games were being played today those would be the 3 guys.

What’s your cousin say about the rest the receivers? I’m really wanting to see Blount take the next step and become a regular. And D. Robertson for that matter.

sdogg likes this

Practice Report: Dawgs harp on details in practice No. 2

- Let's begin with the quarterbacks today where, once again, Stetson Bennett IV and D'Wan Mathis were a little erratic but Jake Fromm was pretty sharp. Fromm did have one pass that hit the ground on a ball where it looked like he an Demetris Robertson were out of sync. Robertson hesitated on the slant while Fromm went ahead and turned the pass loose after Robertson fired upfield for a few steps. The junior wideout was unable to haul it in. That was the only incompletion I saw from the UGA quarterback in five throws. He had a pair of downfield throws, one to Lawrence Cager, that were caught in stride.

Bennett was a little better than yesterday but I saw two incompletions and on ball that George Pickens had to spin completely around to catch. Still, it's clear that Bennett has a lot of arm talent. We noted it in the spring but it bears mentioning again, for a small quarterback, the ball really jumps out of his hand. Mathis was also better today in the routes-on-air period but still struggled with the outside throws. He had one perfect throw to the sideline and a walk-on receiver dropped it. He had another throw that wasn't really close. Everything to the middle of the field was on the mark for the 6-foot-4, 197-pound triggerman.

- Not trying to get anyone's hopes up here but Zamir White looks really good. It's still really early and there's no contact, but the fact that he's running without a brace and looking confident can't be a bad sign. The team was running an inside drill when we first got out there where White made a quick jump cut from an outside, in and made Monty Rice completely miss. He didn't look as explosive getting upfield as D'Andre Swift or James Cook, but that jump cut was pretty impressive.

James Cook was getting some reps as the Wild Dawg quarterback during this period. He and D'Andre Swift were working together on zone read handoffs. He also took one rep with Brian Herrien.

As far as the wide receivers go, I didn't come away with any real negatives. Tyler Simmons had a juggling catch on an out route that probably should have been a little cleaner but that was it. It appeared as if Pickens is dealing with some soreness or an injury of sorts in his leg. Based on what I saw, he appeared to be grabbing at his groin and stretching it some after a couple of routes. He pushed through it and didn't miss a rep, though. Makiya Tongue had a nice leaping catch near the sideline and I saw Dominick Blaylock go up and get a pass on an inward-cutting route. Matt Landers had a pair of nice catches while I watched. Both were a little out in front of him but he extended and plucked them out of the air.

I saw two different first-team offensive lines. When I was watching, it was Andrew Thomas, Solomon Kindley, Trey Hill, Cade Mays, and Isaiah Wilson from left to right. When Palmer watched, it was Ben Cleveland in Mays' place as the first-team right guard. Mammoth freshman Xavier Truss appears to be getting a lot of reps at left tackle and was running with the second team today. Justin Shaffer was at left guard, Warren Ericson at center, either Cleveland or Mays at right guard, and Jamaree Salyer continues to get a lot of work at right tackle.

There's no better time to harp on fundamentals and details and that's exactly what Trey Scott was doing today, giving extra attention to the youngsters. He was really getting after Bill Norton and Zion Logue about their hand usage and pad level. Travon Walker received praise on the only rep I saw while Tymon Mitchell appeared to be a little gassed early on. I watched Devonte Wyatt and Tyler Clark for a bit and both were performing to Scott's liking. The third-year assistant coach was riding Jordan Davis a bit during the drill work and he was getting some extra coaching off to the side from Michael Barnett.

I didn't notice it yesterday but it was obvious today -- Jarvis Jones is very involved with the outside linebackers. I only watched for am minute or so but he had feedback for each guy after they went through the drill. He wasn't doing any explicit, hands-on instruction because I don't think he can do that until classes begin as a student assistant, but he was definitely talking to guys and encouraging them.

I had someone reach out to me and say that Jermaine Johnson looked pretty thin in the photos they saw of him yesterday, but that's not what it looks like in person. He's probably the biggest guy in that group in terms of height and weight with Brenton Cox the only other guy in the discussion. He's a really big guy.

- Monty Rice and Tae Crowder were the first-team inside linebackers again today and they went first in everything. They were the No. 1 unit in the inside drill. They went first in drills. It's not much of a surprise but they are the only two that didn't flip flop to the second or third team today. Rice showed some really nice speed catching up to Herrien on an outside run in the inside drill. Crowder made a nice play on Swift from the backside where he took the first available run through and tagged him down in the backfield. I'm not sure who was playing center on the play but Crowder went right by him.

Nakobe Dean appeared to be getting more work with the second team today than yesterday. I only saw him with the third group on one rep. He spent the rest of the time with the twos, mostly with Quay Walker beside him. I'm pretty sure I saw Dean and Channing Tindall in there together on one play. Tindall saw some third-team reps with Nate McBride based on what I saw. Walker appears to have shed a few pounds and it seems to have helped him. He's looks as if he's gained a half step and is moving really well. I didn't get to watch Trezmen Marshall and Rian Davis as much today as yesterday but both guys certainly fit in on appearance along.

Mark Webb continues to get first-team reps at STAR followed by Divaad Wilson and then William Poole. Poole go a few second-team reps while I watched today. I found it interesting that when the team went to individual drills, all three of those guys were working at safety and not cornerback. It wasn't a situation where they were playing STAR/nickel during those drills, either. They were with Bacarri Rambo and the safety group while Charlton Warren had the cornerbacks. Wilson and Poole were behind Richard LeCounte at the right safety position while Webb was behind J.R. Reed at the left safety spot.

I also found it interesting that Otis Reese was working behind Reed at left safety instead of at right safety, where spent time with the first unit during the spring. I spent a good two to three minutes watching that group and at no point did he flip over and play the other spot. With that said, it probably means that the staff is trying to get him involved at both spots since his long-term future is on the left side. The fact that he has spent a ton of time at right safety at this point in his career makes it to where giving him more reps at left safety makes sense. Lewis Cine is the only guy I saw take reps at both safety positions.

I got a chance to watch Warren closely with the cornerbacks today and he reminds me a lot of Jeremy Pruitt when it comes to detail. It's important to note that it was often tough to glean that from Mel Tucker based on where he usually had his guys positioned on the field, but Warren seems to do a good job of giving feedback after every rep in multiple areas. He's talking to guys about their feet, hands, keeping their entire body square, eye discipline, and so on. I have a little experience coaching defensive backs and it's not easy to see all of that at once.

Tyson Campbell received consistent praise from Warren during drill work and that's building off yesterday where he looked really physical when they were doing some one-on-one work with the receivers in a jam drill. He had to correct Eric Stokes on a couple of reps for crossing his feet but if there's anyone in that group athletic enough to make up for it, it's the redshirt sophomore from Covington. Stokes is a tick above the rest of the group when it comes to twitch and flexibility.

Finding a replacement for the Deandre Baker at one of the two cornerback spots figures to be one of the position battles to watch, and at least early on, sophomore Tyson Campbell appears to have the upper hand.

Saturday, Campbell was going through drills alongside Eric Stokes, with freshman Tyrique Stevenson and junior college transfer DJ Daniel working as the top two backups. Ameer Speed was the fifth cornerback going through drills.

At safety, Richard LeCounte and J.R. Reed continue to work as the top two at safety, with Otis Reese and Lewis Cine also in the mix.

Mark Webb, Divaad Wilson and Tyrique McGhee were seen getting reps at Star.

At inside linebacker, Monty Rice and Tae Crowderwere the first two through drills, followed by Nakobe Dean, Trezman Marshall and Rian Davis. Channing Tindall and Quay Walker didn't take part in the one drill I happened to watch.

Didn't get to spend a lot of time with the defensive line, but David Marshall, Michael Barnett, Tyler Clark and Jordan Davis were the first four out of the chutes during the brief time I watched.

Outside linebacker was difficult to tell, but Azeez Ojulari certainly appears to have worked himself onto equal footing with Adam Anderson and Brenton Cox, with Nolan Smith, Jermaine Johnson and Walter Grant close behind.

I've said it before, but along with the offensive line, Georgia's current group of outside linebackers is as impressive looking group of athletes as there is on the team. 

Speaking of the offensive line, you're seeing Sam Pittman do a lot of mixing and matching. For those wondering about a pecking order, this is what I saw (just keep in mind, this changes throughout practice).
First Team: LT Andrew Thomas, LG Solomon Kindley, C Trey Hill, RG Cade Mays, RT Isaiah Wilson.
Second Team: LT Owen Condon (with freshman Xavier Truss also getting looks), LG Justin Shaffer, C ClayWebb, RG Ben Cleveland, RT Jamaree Salyer.

Nothing appears to have changed at running back, with Brian Herrien, James Cook and Zamir Whitebacking up D'Andre Swift at running back.

During outside receiver drills, the order was Tyler Simmons, Lawrence Cager, Matt Landers, Tommy Bush, George Pickens and Trey Blount.
Demetris Robertson continues to go through the line first at slot, followed by Kearis Jackson and Dominick Blaylock.
Not that it necessarily means anything, but during inside drills, James Cook was getting reps as Georgia's Wildcat quarterback. For those wondering, Cook did the same last year, although the Bulldogs never implemented a set with him in the game.

On Day 2 of fall camp, I first observed the defensive line, and saw much of the same as yesterday—both sophomore Jordan Davis and true freshman Zion Logue really packed a wallop. In a drill whereby the linemen hit a bag with their lead shoulder while attempting to keep their head high, Logue seemed as if this was in his second year practicing with the Bulldogs, and not appearing in just his second practice. During the drill, there were several upperclassmen who had to do pushups for unsatisfactory reps—but not Logue who, at one point, was praised by defensive line coach Tray Scott.

…Similarly to spring practice—and this is just my observation—Netori Johnson seems a good ways from contributing at defensive line, both physically and performance-wise. The No. 71 overall prospect in the 2017 class, who moved from the offensive to defensive line late last season, is entering his redshirt sophomore season.

I caught the final snap of a scaled-down read-and-react drill, whereby D’Wan Mathis pulled a perfect fake—one in which it appeared he was running a keeper, only to result in running back James Cook running through a large gap up the middle. Mathis performed even better in the two passing drills I watched. Another media member and I agreed that he looks much better than he did in the spring. Whereas before, his passing motion was almost like he was throwing downward—and maybe because of his 6-foot-6 height—his motion today was much more fluent, delivering a smooth ball with excellent touch.

…Speaking of Mathis, he was the lone quarterback to throw more or less a perfect throw on each of his attempts during the two drills. Even Jake Frommmissed his mark a couple of times when the receivers were running 20-to-25-yard out patterns. Although I believe we mentioned it yesterday, Georgia currently has five quarterbacks on its roster. Besides Mathis and Fromm, Bulldog signal-callers also incl

Speaking of Bennett—and I know, like most teams, Georgia has been exaggerating some players’ heights and weights going back to at least the Vince Dooley era—there’s no way he is as tall as his listed 5-foot-11. I’d be surprised if he’s even as tall as an inch shorter than that.

…It certainly seems Todd Hartley didn’t lose his intensity during the offseason. I’ve admired the tight ends coach since first observing him last spring. He really is in-tune with his group—really into the drills he instructs the unit to run. His six-man group consists of graduate transfer Eli Wolf, senior Charlie Woerner, redshirt sophomore Kolby Wyatt, redshirt freshmen John FitzPatrick, Peyton Mercer, and Jarrett Freeland, and true freshman Brett Seither.

If all the tight ends were not wearing numerals, one could still easily pick out Woerner, as he is the only one in the group who is currently running all drills near-flawlessly whereas the others struggle from time to time. Still, I think FitzPatrick is close to having it all come together, while Wolfe appeared to “get it” more so than he exhibited a day ago.

sdogg, 95Dawg, RandomFan and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

@fibonaccisquared your article mentions six man TE group but leaves out Ryan Goode.  Is he still injured?.  

Not that I'm aware. Probably just a poorly written summary or they didn't see him during their limited viewing session. He was full go the day before. 

g-dawg likes this

3 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Not that I'm aware. Probably just a poorly written summary or they didn't see him during their limited viewing session. He was full go the day before. 

It does kind of feel like he isn’t mentioned much though.   Not sure why.   Thanks

Brenton Cox has entered the portal. Per Dawgs247, this is a mutual decision and highly unlikely to reverse course.

i think it’s telling that Beal and Cox were arrested at the same time, Beal gets mentioned by Lanning today as having a good offseason, and shortly thereafter we all find out that Cox is transferring.

sounds like two guys taking discipline very differently. Hats off to Beal and good luck to Cox.