AT&T and NFL battling it out over NFL Network and Sunday Ticket

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

what? the 50 Mexican channels ain't holding you over? 

But have you seen the women in those Mexican Telanovelas? 

I like Football not Futbol

51 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

If the NFL was smart (they are) it will go to every provider possible. You will still pay for it, but it will be available for every platform from Twitter/Amazon/Hulu/Sling, etc to your local yokel cable company. Not saying everyone will pick up the rights to it, but it should not be held to one provider. That hefty check they get for the exclusive rights is great and all, but getting the product in more households should be the goal.

So we att pays what for exclusive rights?  I bet they could charge multiple outlets the same price they charge att

11 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

im not absolutely satisfied with directv now...but its much much better than Playstation Vue...

We cut the cord earlier this year from DTV and initially used DirecTv Now. While I liked the steaming service, we had to use apk's downloaded from the net on the Nvidia Shields that we use to stream. There wasn't an app available from the Google store at the time. The apk's got a little buggy so we switched over to PS Vue. We like the service and have had no issues so far....we even watched Game of Thrones on HBO with Vue with no problems. I had tried using Vue when it first came out several years ago in an attempt to cut the cord, but it would buffer like **** at that time. YouTubeTv works well, too. Good time to cut the cord if you have good internet. Lots of choices.

18 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

I've got several family members who suddenly stopped getting NFL Network a few months back.  This article from April explains how AT&T and the NFL are cat fighting.  When they turn to NFL Network, this is what they see:

NFL Network going dark on U-verse.

AT&T Reportedly Never Told the NFL They Planned to Drop The NFL Network From DIRECTV NOW

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-reportedly-never-told-the-nfl-they-planned-to-drop-the-nfl-network-from-directv-now/

On Monday AT&T announced that they are pulling the NFL Network from DIRECTV NOW & U-verse TV. This comes as AT&T and the NFL are in talks over changes to the NFL Sunday Ticket with the real possiblity that the NFL will pull back rights to NFL Sunday Ticket from AT&T. Now the Sports Business Daily reported that AT&T never told the NFL that they planned to drop the NFL Network. According to SBD this could be a last-ditch attempt by AT&T to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket bundled with AT&T’s TV services.

Here is the message posted on AT&T’s website about the loss of the NFL Network:

Our rights to provide the NFL Network in your TV lineup have expired. We’re sorry for any inconvenience.

The NFL Network and RED ZONE CHANNEL® remain available to all fans on DIRECTV. However, as we continue to manage content costs, we could not reach an agreement with the NFL to continue to carry those channels on U-verse and DIRECTV NOW.

This comes as the NFL has hinted that they plan to take an out built into their contract and end DIRECTV’s exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket deal that DIRECTV has had since before AT&T owned the service. Back in March, the NFL Commissioner said: “We’re having great discussions with DirecTV and AT&T,” Goodell said. “We’ve had a 25-year partnership and we want to continue that partnership, but we also are looking to see how we can change the delivery.” Roger Goodell went on to say. “We’re looking to make sure that we continue to deliver this package, which is a premium package of great content,” Goodell said. “We want it delivered on several different platforms.”

For now, we will have to wait and see if the NFL Network deals with U-verse and DIRECTV NOW ending is a sign that NFL Sunday Ticket contract with AT&T is ending. We do know that NFL Sunday Ticket will still be on DIRECTV this year. Any changes to NFL Sunday ticket will have to wait until the start of the 2020 season. For now, what we are seeing is that the NFL is serious about moving away from DIRECTV as the sole provider of NFL Sunday Ticket and AT&T is removing the NFL Network from DIRECTV NOW and U-verse TV.

Hopefully, this means NFLN will be coming to YoutubeTV...

3 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

We cut the cord earlier this year from DTV and initially used DirecTv Now. While I liked the steaming service, we had to use apk's downloaded from the net on the Nvidia Shields that we use to stream. There wasn't an app available from the Google store at the time. The apk's got a little buggy so we switched over to PS Vue. We like the service and have had no issues so far....we even watched Game of Thrones on HBO with Vue with no problems. I had tried using Vue when it first came out several years ago in an attempt to cut the cord, but it would buffer like **** at that time. YouTubeTv works well, too. Good time to cut the cord if you have good internet. Lots of choices.

The apps on DTVN are good but not blazing. I was one with Vue four years ago. This was after 10 years of cutting the cord. Vue was a disaster because it would constantly buffer.  It was simply unwatchable 

Just now, VTCrunkler said:

The apps on DTVN are good but not blazing. I was one with Vue four years ago. This was after 10 years of cutting the cord. Vue was a disaster because it would constantly buffer.  It was simply unwatchable 

If they can put out an app for the Google store, I'd consider switching. One thing that DTVN has that the Vue doesn't is the A&E channel. We miss our Live PD. Lol. 

18 hours ago, EZfalcons said:

Good thing I ditched DirecTV and am now a slinger! I get redzone and nfl network and I am paying to stream Sunday ticket without having DirecTV. Plus locally directv/at&t stopped showing CBS and NBC! I was like oh **** naw

How much does that cost you?

50 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

So we att pays what for exclusive rights?  I bet they could charge multiple outlets the same price they charge att

DirecTV/ATT pays $1.5 billion per year to 2022. That deal is pretty amazing for DTV/ATT seeing as how it was a flat rate each year. It's almost like getting a discount.

The main problem I see is cable systems rarely have the bandwidth to provide that may sporting events in HD. Comcast can show like two NBA games in HD each night. I am sure getting access to Sunday Ticket would miraculously solve that issue, but it is still a thing.

11 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

DirecTV/ATT pays $1.5 billion per year to 2022. That deal is pretty amazing for DTV/ATT seeing as how it was a flat rate each year. It's almost like getting a discount.

The main problem I see is cable systems rarely have the bandwidth to provide that may sporting events in HD. Comcast can show like two NBA games in HD each night. I am sure getting access to Sunday Ticket would miraculously solve that issue, but it is still a thing.

So does that mean we have to wait till 2022 until the possibility of streaming live games?  

Yes Comcast would increase their bandwidth overnight if they got ST  lol

Just now, VTCrunkler said:

So does that mean we have to wait till 2022 until the possibility of streaming live games?  

Yes Comcast would increase their bandwidth overnight if they got ST  lol

No, the NFL is looking to break it loose (aka: Buy out the ATT deal). I am sure ATT will get something sweet out of the deal other than money as well, but the NFL has the leverage to pull it off.

6 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I have Directv and still have CBS and NBC.  So I'm sure there's something not quite correct here.

It's only affiliates in certain areas, not all of them. They pulled the biggest ones as a power play. Look at the AFC teams associated with some of these...

The affected markets include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, Tampa, Seattle, Detroit, Minneapolis, Miami, Denver, Sacramento, Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

24 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

What’s live PD again?

Kinda like a real time cops. They follow sheriff's departments and police departments from about 5-6 places around the country on Friday and Saturday nights (live with slight delay) and intersperse taped segments taken during Sunday-Thursday. It's interesting. 

47 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

Kinda like a real time cops. They follow sheriff's departments and police departments from about 5-6 places around the country on Friday and Saturday nights (live with slight delay) and intersperse taped segments taken during Sunday-Thursday. It's interesting. 

So a horror show. :)

cops was crazy back when it aired.  

2 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

THATS the problem.  AT&T, Comcast, etc. have internet on lock down too.  You still got to come to them...