slickgadawg

AT&T and NFL battling it out over NFL Network and Sunday Ticket

153 posts in this topic

I've got several family members who suddenly stopped getting NFL Network a few months back.  This article from April explains how AT&T and the NFL are cat fighting.  When they turn to NFL Network, this is what they see:

NFL Network going dark on U-verse.

AT&T Reportedly Never Told the NFL They Planned to Drop The NFL Network From DIRECTV NOW

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-reportedly-never-told-the-nfl-they-planned-to-drop-the-nfl-network-from-directv-now/

On Monday AT&T announced that they are pulling the NFL Network from DIRECTV NOW & U-verse TV. This comes as AT&T and the NFL are in talks over changes to the NFL Sunday Ticket with the real possiblity that the NFL will pull back rights to NFL Sunday Ticket from AT&T. Now the Sports Business Daily reported that AT&T never told the NFL that they planned to drop the NFL Network. According to SBD this could be a last-ditch attempt by AT&T to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket bundled with AT&T’s TV services.

Here is the message posted on AT&T’s website about the loss of the NFL Network:

Our rights to provide the NFL Network in your TV lineup have expired. We’re sorry for any inconvenience.

The NFL Network and RED ZONE CHANNEL® remain available to all fans on DIRECTV. However, as we continue to manage content costs, we could not reach an agreement with the NFL to continue to carry those channels on U-verse and DIRECTV NOW.

This comes as the NFL has hinted that they plan to take an out built into their contract and end DIRECTV’s exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket deal that DIRECTV has had since before AT&T owned the service. Back in March, the NFL Commissioner said: “We’re having great discussions with DirecTV and AT&T,” Goodell said. “We’ve had a 25-year partnership and we want to continue that partnership, but we also are looking to see how we can change the delivery.” Roger Goodell went on to say. “We’re looking to make sure that we continue to deliver this package, which is a premium package of great content,” Goodell said. “We want it delivered on several different platforms.”

For now, we will have to wait and see if the NFL Network deals with U-verse and DIRECTV NOW ending is a sign that NFL Sunday Ticket contract with AT&T is ending. We do know that NFL Sunday Ticket will still be on DIRECTV this year. Any changes to NFL Sunday ticket will have to wait until the start of the 2020 season. For now, what we are seeing is that the NFL is serious about moving away from DIRECTV as the sole provider of NFL Sunday Ticket and AT&T is removing the NFL Network from DIRECTV NOW and U-verse TV.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

I have AT&T, I lost nfl network a long time ago. They need to get it together before the season start 

They both are greedy.  Sunday Ticket in particular is a major marketing tool for ATT&T.  I'm thinking the NFL purposely caused AT&T to drop them so that they could get out of the Sunday Ticket deal and give it to other bidders.  I bet anything their contract stated that if they were pulled from AT&T that they could take Sunday Ticket with them..

Edited by slickgadawg

Just now, EZfalcons said:

Good thing I ditched DirecTV and am now a slinger! I get redzone and nfl network and I am paying to stream Sunday ticket without having DirecTV. Plus locally directv/at&t stopped showing CBS and NBC! I was like oh **** naw

****.  they dropped CBS AND NBC?   their greedy butts ain't hurting so I don't know why they dropping everybody...

16 minutes ago, EZfalcons said:

Good thing I ditched DirecTV and am now a slinger! I get redzone and nfl network and I am paying to stream Sunday ticket without having DirecTV. Plus locally directv/at&t stopped showing CBS and NBC! I was like oh **** naw

I was actually thinking of ditching DTV myself and doing YouTube TV or something. How is streaming Sunday ticket going? 

2 minutes ago, Norwood all the way! said:

I was actually thinking of ditching DTV myself and doing YouTube TV or something. How is streaming Sunday ticket going? 

Reddit makes that easy. But you leave your windows open and have some neighbors that are Falcons fans with their windows open. You may hear people yelling "TOUCHDOWN" 45 seconds before you see it. 

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Norwood all the way! said:

I can't say for HIS experience, but myself,  about a year ago I was trying to stream NBA and MLB games using playstation's streaming tv service ( I don't even remember the name of the service).  It was horrible.  We did have a bad internet connection so that contributed to it.  The games lagged soo bad that the players looked like they was doing the " robot" dance when they they moved...:lol:    When watching baseball, lets say the 3rd baseman fielded a ball and threw it to first, I would see the release of the ball,  the ball about halfway to first in midflight, then the 1st baseman catching it and nothing in between...:lol:

Edited by slickgadawg
Flying Falcon and PokerSteve like this

20 minutes ago, Norwood all the way! said:

It lags due to internet but I can watch it

Flying Falcon likes this

AT&T doesn’t have much leverage in this fight IMO.

Content is king and the NFL owns the best live content potentially in the world.  Whether you agree with that statement, it’s definitely up there.  DirecTV started when streaming wasn’t even a concept.  For the NFL to stay with DTV on perhaps one of its most valuable platforms - giving its fans the opportunity to see any game, it cuts itself off from a large percentage of the market.  Many other platforms exist now that NFL can work with...

5 hours ago, Norwood all the way! said:

I have DIRECTvNOW, a streaming app.  i would love love if they actually had streaming nfl ticket...there is really no reason not to have it. 

23 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

AT&T doesn’t have much leverage in this fight IMO.

Content is king and the NFL owns the best live content potentially in the world.  Whether you agree with that statement, it’s definitely up there.  DirecTV started when streaming wasn’t even a concept.  For the NFL to stay with DTV on perhaps one of its most valuable platforms - giving its fans the opportunity to see any game, it cuts itself off from a large percentage of the market.  Many other platforms exist now that NFL can work with...

Also, there have been many reports that DirecTV and DirecTV Now has been losing subscribers by the boatload and are not doing well.

The NFL probably sees the end of the line in their partnership and they can't just sit back and be exclusive to DirecTV anymore.

Sling, Hulu, Amazon, and ESPN+ have all become very popular streaming platforms that could have way more potential with NFL Sunday Ticket for the future and opens up the door to increase subscribers and viewers.

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Also, there have been may reports that DirecTV and DirecTV Now has been losing subscribers by the boatload and are not doing well.

The NFL probably sees the end of the line in their partnership and they can't just sit back and be exclusive to DirecTV anymore.

Sling, Hulu, Amazon, and ESPN+ have all become very popular streaming platforms that could have way more potential with NFL Sunday Ticket for the future and opens up the door to increase subscribers and viewers.

I actually think the reason the NFL wants to wrap up this CBA now is because there is such a boatload of money out there for the taking...not just from above, but include Google (YouTube), Apple (Apple TV), Facebook.  But they need labor peace now to get the highest value.  And with Sunday Ticket contract expiring at the end of this year...IMO, that is the driving force behind that desire.  

Consider that 2 years ago, Demaurice Smith was guaranteeing a work stoppage and now they are negotiating two years prior to the end of this CBA?  Yep...the revenue model of the NFL is about to explode.

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

10 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I actually think the reason the NFL wants to wrap up this CBA now is because there is such a boatload of money out there for the taking...not just from above, but include Google (YouTube), Apple (Apple TV), Facebook.  But they need labor peace now to get the highest value.  And with Sunday Ticket contract expiring at the end of this year...IMO, that is the driving force behind that desire.  

Consider that 2 years ago, Demaurice Smith was guaranteeing a work stoppage and now they are negotiating two years prior to the end of this CBA?  Yep...the revenue model of the NFL is about to explode.

Yep

Along with the boom if revenue on the horizon, NFL player are looking at the types of money that NBA and MLB players are getting.

NFL players in this CBA are looking at a huge bump up in salary on contracts or a decent bump with 100% guaranteed contracts during this new CBA negotiation.

slickgadawg likes this

19 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Also, there have been many reports that DirecTV and DirecTV Now has been losing subscribers by the boatload and are not doing well.

The service has drastically gone down hill since AT&T took over. DirecTV was much better when it was it’s own entity 

1 minute ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

The service has drastically gone down hill since AT&T took over. DirecTV was much better when it was it’s own entity 

im not absolutely satisfied with directv now...but its much much better than Playstation Vue...

Goober Pyle likes this

5 hours ago, Norwood all the way! said:

Thanks and thanks everyone. I really would like to cut the cord but DTV has got me by the gonads with the Sunday ticket.<_<

Cut The Cord!!!! I did over 2-3 years ago!!! I stream EVERYTHING!!!!