Falconsfan567

2006 Falcons Defense

37 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2019 at 6:50 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

For a little Madden 2007 (2006) fun, I decided to fire up a new Falcons franchise and built the Falcons in my image, defense 1st! So I traded Michael Vick to the Browns for Willie McGinest and Andra Davis. Then I traded a couple draft picks to the Vikings for Kevin Williams, signed Ty Law, and boom I've got a starting defensive unit that is incredible.

• DE - Patrick Kerney
  • DT - Rod Coleman
  • DT - Kevin Williams
  • DE - John Abraham
  • OLB - Willie McGinest
  • MLB - Andra Davis
  • OLB - Keith Brooking
  • CB - Ty Law
  • CB - DeAngelo Hall
  • FS - Chris Crocker
  • SS - Lawyer Milloy

This is one of the reasons I love video games. It would have been incredible to see such a defensive unit.

Great defense but the offense likely stinks.  Roddy was still considered a bust.  So much of that offense was predicated on running with DVD.  DD just isn’t as formidable

1 hour ago, since68andcounting said:

Uhhh....nevermind. I'm talking 2005. Getting old stinks.

As I remember it, we started fast both years under Mora, only to finish 8-8. One of the reasons he got fired. Although 2007 got so much worse...

2 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

Can they stop the run? Cuz our 2006 defense sure couldn't. ;)

Pretty sure that front 7 wouldn't have any problems stopping the run.

51 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Great defense but the offense likely stinks.  Roddy was still considered a bust.  So much of that offense was predicated on running with DVD.  DD just isn’t as formidable

Matt Schaub, Warrick Dunn, Jerious Norwood, Justin Griffith, Kevin Curtis, Roddy White, Alge Crumpler. That's not a bad offense. It doesn't have to be great with that defense.

24 minutes ago, BlazerSlayer said:

As I remember it, we started fast both years under Mora, only to finish 8-8. One of the reasons he got fired. Although 2007 got so much worse...

2005 we started 6-2 and after we beat the Dolphins on the road Mike Vick opened his big mouth about "I'm a passing QB" and the next game was the home game against the Packers and some nobody named Samkon Gado ran wild all over the Falcons and the season went down the drain. We finished 2-6. BTW, that Packers game is also the last time the Falcons wore the black jerseys and white pants combo.

Then 2006 we started 5-3 and Vick had those two incredible passing games against the Steelers and Bengals back-to-back and then we lost to the Lions and Browns the next two games and finished the season 7-9. Mora also made the stupid comment about wanting to be the HC at UW and was fired.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

11 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Matt Schaub, Warrick Dunn, Jerious Norwood, Justin Griffith, Kevin Curtis, Roddy White, Alge Crumpler. That's not a bad offense. It doesn't have to be great with that defense.

There were no passing targets at the WR position.  Roddy was still a bust at that time.

We threw for 2300 yards that year and ran for 3,000

On 7/24/2019 at 7:31 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

Might have won a Super Bowl though!

Highly possible, but remember Schaub didn't win a Super Bowl while in Houston with their D...

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

There were no passing targets at the WR position.  Roddy was still a bust at that time.

We threw for 2300 yards that year and ran for 3,000

Kevin Curtis was a pretty good player in real life at the time and only the game is an 85 rating. On the game Roddy White is a 79 rating. I realize Roddy didn't perform in real life until 2007 but he has a 79 rating on the game. Also Brian Finneran was decent. Let's don't ignore Alge Crumpler at TE. Oh, and we would have been able to run the ball pretty good with Dunn and Norwood.

1 hour ago, Alomar said:

Highly possible, but remember Schaub didn't win a Super Bowl while in Houston with their D...

You also have to factor in that most of the time by the playoffs Schaub was hurt playing behind the Texans awful OL.

10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

2005 we started 6-2 and after we beat the Dolphins on the road Mike Vick opened his big mouth about "I'm a passing QB" and the next game was the home game against the Packers and some nobody named Samkon Gado ran wild all over the Falcons and the season went down the drain. We finished 2-6. BTW, that Packers game is also the last time the Falcons wore the black jerseys and white pants combo.

Then 2006 we started 5-3 and Vick had those two incredible passing games against the Steelers and Bengals back-to-back and then we lost to the Lions and Browns the next two games and finished the season 7-9. Mora also made the stupid comment about wanting to be the HC at UW and was fired.

Thanks for reminding me :D That team seemed to beat the good teams and blow it against the weaker teams. I put it down to being talented but immature. Guys like Vick, Deangelo Hall were the epitome of that. Still, water under the bridge nnow.

18 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You also have to factor in that most of the time by the playoffs Schaub was hurt playing behind the Texans awful OL.

Very true, but our OL wasn't the best either. They were better than the Texans though...lol