birdz4i

Falcons’ defense already hit with more injuries in camp

34 posts in this topic

APJul 23, 2019 at 4:06p ET

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) — Injuries already are mounting for an Atlanta Falcons‘ defense hoping to avoid a repeat of its 2018 health woes.

Coach Dan Quinn confirmed Tuesday that safety J.J. Wilcox will miss the season with a right knee injury. Also, defensive tackle Michael Bennett has suffered a broken ankle and will miss the start of the season. Both were hurt on Monday’s opening day of training camp.

The injuries follow defensive end Steven Means‘ season-ending Achilles tendon injury in organized team activities in May. Means started four games in 2018.

Wilcox worked with the first-team defense this offseason while Keanu Neal continued his rehabilitation from a knee injury. When Wilcox was hurt on Monday while covering wide receiver Christian Blake, Neal was one of the first players to offer comfort.

“I’ve been through it,” Neal said Tuesday. “I knew what it’s like to get that news. It sucks.”

The loss of Wilcox is significant. Even though Neal is on track to reclaiming his starting job, Wilcox was expected to serve as the team’s third safety.

Neal and safety Damontae Kazee helped Wilcox off the field after the injury. Quinn said Neal had a message for the defense after practice.

“As we went to the team Keanu said, ‘You just can’t take it for granted. You never know when these opportunities can be taken from you,” ” Quinn said. “It was so fresh in his memory that he shared that with the other defensive guys.”

Atlanta lost linebacker Deion Jones and both safeties, Neal and Ricardo Allen, to injured reserve last season. The Falcons also lost running back Devonta Freeman and both starting offensive guards on the way to a 7-9 finish.

The injuries at the start of training camp were quickly followed on Tuesday by a move to bolster the defense. The Falcons and former Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Allen Bailey agreed to a two-year, $10.5 million contract.

Bailey, 30, had a career-high six sacks for the Chiefs in 2018. He could join practice on Wednesday.

Quinn said the team began talking with Bailey at the start of free agency. The team placed an emphasis on finalizing new contracts for Jones and defensive tackle Grady Jarrett before completing the deal with Bailey.

“I’m really glad he wanted to be a part of this because we really wanted him to be here,” Quinn said.

Bailey played college football at Miami and spent eight years with Kansas City. He has 19.5 career sacks.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/falcons-defense-already-hit-with-more-injuries-in-camp-072319

2 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Get used to it, it's not going to stop. The coaches better have a planto coach up depth or sign guys real quick

Yeah we haven’t even gotten to the season yet :rolleyes:

Every team goes thru it, but when you’re up, you have to take advantage. This is why you have to win you’re up 25 because a few injuries can derail your season 

7 minutes ago, athell said:

Bailey is a better version of Bennett

I prefer Neasman over Wilcox

Not that I ever want player injury, but I'm ok with how this all played out.

We kept saying that last year. 'I'm ok with this injury, we can survive it, as long as it's not Jarrett, Jones, or Neal', then the dominoes started falling. 

Granted the depth is better this year, but no more kinks in the armor, please. We need everyone healthy.

athell likes this

Just now, Cheap Talk said:

We kept saying that last year. 'I'm ok with this injury, we can survive it, as long as it's not Jarrett, Jones, or Neal', then the dominoes started falling. 

Granted the depth is better this year, but no more kinks in the armor, please. We need everyone healthy.

We lost all of our important/critical pieces last year...at least dang near almost all of them.  I don't think anyone was fine with last year's injuries.

We do seem deeper, but yeah if this is the worst of it I am ok with this.  That's all I'm saying.

Marco102, vel, Shelley#37 and 4 others like this

This is why I'm skeptical about this fifth preseason game it's another opportunity for players to get injured. I know DQ may not play as many starters but players can get hurt any second and we have already seen it can affect your season. You can't run from it injuries are going to happen. You have to build a STRONG 53 now as opposed to a strong 22.

10 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

This is why I'm skeptical about this fifth preseason game it's another opportunity for players to get injured. I know DQ may not play as many starters but players can get hurt any second and we have already seen it can affect your season. You can't run from it injuries are going to happen. You have to build a STRONG 53 now as opposed to a strong 22.

Nothing to be skeptical of considering the starters aren’t going to play that much. It sounds bad but I don’t give a crap about guys that aren’t going to sniff the final 53 or practice squad. Would be different if the starters were playing heavy minutes all 5 games

RING OF HONOR likes this

Posted (edited)

Quinn and Dimitroff know Blank ain't hearing the injury excuse this season.  They got a rolodex of backup names to sign at every defensive position.  Thats why Bailey got signed soo fast...:lol:

Image result for arthur blank gif

Edited by slickgadawg

2 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Might as well cancel the season thinking like that

LOL....talk about taking extrapolation to the extreme......SMH.

Where has our other resident chicken little been hiding?  @ButSkiuupLast bo-peep I heard from him Julio would make us go broke, that jewel of a post went out a couple hours right before we went and signed Allen Bailey.....:ninja:

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

LOL....talk about extrapolating to the extreme......

Where has our other resident chicken little been hiding?  @ButSkiuupLast peep I heard from him Julio would make us broke, that jewel of a post went a couple hours right before we went and signed Allen Bailey.....:ninja:

Lol....he was here earlier ( another thread)...having in depth conversations with @athell

athell likes this

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

Get used to it, it's not going to stop. The coaches better have a plan to coach up depth or sign guys real quick

You never get use to having as many injuries as we had last yr with that many impact pro bowl players. That was bad luck and it happens to all teams sooner or later. You hope to never have them in back to back yrs.....but it could happen to any team any year.

6 minutes ago, athell said:

I turned on another little einsteins show for him so the adults could talk in peace.

:tiphat:

Somehow I’ve got to find a way to utilize this guy’s nonsense, as his timing is impeccably 100% dead wrong.

Proclaimed we wouldn’t sign Jarrett a day before signing.

Julio will make us broke....few hours later, we sign Bailey. 

There's gotta be a way to make money off his foolishness.....horse races maybe? Whoever he hates, pick em!

athell likes this

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Somehow I’ve got to find a way to utilize this guy’s nonsense, as his timing is impeccably 100% dead wrong.

There's gotta be a way to make money off his foolishness.....horse races maybe? Whoever he hates, pick em!

Lmao ask him who to pick then pick the opposite?  You're onto something bro lol

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Might as well cancel the season thinking like that

Or prepare for reality so that you your not paralyzed when stuff hits the fan. 

8 minutes ago, athell said:

Lmao ask him who to pick then pick the opposite?  You're onto something bro lol

That’s what I’m thinking. Maybe something like this below?

1 hour ago, ButSkiuup said:

Yeah we haven’t even gotten to the season yet :rolleyes:

Every team goes thru it, but when you’re up, you have to take advantage. This is why you have to win you’re up 25 because a few injuries can derail your season 

Hey dude, that’s great insight. 

Do you ever play the ponies? Who you got? More importantly, which ones should I stay away from? 

Respect. 

athell likes this

21 minutes ago, Vandy said:

He's hating on the Falcons and I've been saying this is a superbowl year. Place your bets boys.

athell and Vandy like this