Since1990

DE Allen Bailey

148 posts in this topic

dang can you imagine a front seven with Bailey, jarrett, and Senat in front of Beasley, Campbell, Jones and Takk? I'm sure this lineup probably wont be likely, but IMO thats a pretty darn good lineup if all are on the field together

NWFALCON and Tim Mazetti like this

Just now, federicofalcon2 said:

dang can you imagine a front seven with Bailey, jarrett, and Senat in front of Beasley, Campbell, Jones and Takk? I'm sure this lineup probably wont be likely, but IMO thats a pretty darn good lineup if all are on the field together

Just wait, it's coming. 

Even if you switched Senat with Takk, putting Bailey/Grady/Takk as the DL, put Campbell on the edge, and put Neal in the box to get Kazee on the field. It really could be a good unit for a change. 

5 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

You totally forgot Clayborn.

Which makes that possibility you mentioned even more awesome.

Tim Mazetti and VTCrunkler like this

6 minutes ago, vel said:

Just wait, it's coming. 

Even if you switched Senat with Takk, putting Bailey/Grady/Takk as the DL, put Campbell on the edge, and put Neal in the box to get Kazee on the field. It really could be a good unit for a change. 

1 minute ago, Statick said:

You totally forgot Clayborn.

Which makes that possibility you mentioned even more awesome.

What about Bailey/Grady/Campbell on the line Takk/Beasley/Foye/Jones

And the killer part is that Clay was used as a QB shadow in the Dallas game so it's possible he could be used at time as LB, but the potential of these lines has jumped up more and more each day I read into the possible players to be put in this lineup.  Next man up?, shoot, gonna be whose next to get knocked around with this defense!

What the Allen Bailey signing means for the Falcons

The veteran defensive lineman gives Atlanta a powerful defender to add to a suddenly robust rotation.

By Dave Choate Jul 23, 2019, 9:00am EDT

The Falcons have had an unbelievably bad run of injury luck of late, which has unfortunately continued into the early summer. It’s only the second day of training camp, yet the Falcons have lost a key reserve defensive lineman in Steven Means, a potential rotational defensive tackle in Mike Bennett, and their presumed third safety in J.J. Wilcox.

Those injuries left voids on the roster, and while the Falcons aren’t going to do this every time given available roles and dollars, they went out and snagged a starting-caliber player this time. Allen Bailey is, considering the options on the market, the best possible replacement for Means and Bennett, and a player who should help these Falcons a lot over the life of his two-year deal...if he stays both seasons.

What the contract means

The Falcons are using their available funds to make this what sure looks like a one-year deal with an option for a second year. Per Adam Schefter, the team is sinking $6 million ($3.5 million in guarantees) into the 2019 portion of this deal, and will have $4.5 million and an unknown amount of guaranteed cash into the second year. If all goes well Bailey will be useful for both seasons, but they probably can get out of it if they need to because of cash constraints in year two.

That flexibility could be very important. It’s worth remembering that Jack Crawford, Tyeler Davison, and Ra’Shede Hageman (if he even makes the roster) are all free agents heading into 2020, while the only defensive end under contract next year will be Takk McKinley. Bailey can play inside and outside if needed, but he’ll likely mix in heavily at end for the Falcons this year and could take on a huge share of snaps in 2020 if the Falcons choose not to bring back Adrian Clayborn.

Bailey’s deal also points to him getting a real role this year. The real question is where, given the number of bodies, but the Falcons are likely to weed out players as the summer goes along to help us answer that question. I’d expect Bailey to have a prominent role at defensive end on early downs alongside Takk and Clayborn, with the possibility of passing down snaps at defensive tackle with Jarrett or Crawford as well. I should note that the Chiefs also played Bailey at linebacker at times in 2017, which is unlikely to happen here but is an amusing footnote.

How Bailey can help

In a lot of ways, thankfully. Bailey has experience at end, tackle, and as I mentioned above, even linebacker. He’s a powerfully built, athletic defender with a solid history of getting after the quarterback, including six sacks last year and five back in 2014. He’s also capable and strong at the line of scrimmage as a run defender.

That solid all-around game makes him a nice fit for a Falcons defensive line that could use a bit more of everything, and the prowess against the run means he could be a factor at defensive tackle and defensive end in base packages. Even if he’s not a de facto starter, Bailey should find plenty of snaps in relief of the team’s starters, with his signing likely meaning that Deadrin Senat and John Cominsky are both ticketed for smaller roles in 2019.

We’ll have to see where Bailey’s lining up in training camp and preseason once he gets out there, but on first blush this is a rock solid signing in reaction to a pair of worrying injuries along the defensive line, and gives the Falcons a player Quinn can deploy in myriad ways. If Bailey tops out as a rotational option inside and outside and quality insurance for further injuries he’ll be a fine signing, but it’s entirely possible he takes on a major role on early downs. Either way, the Falcons look a lot deeper and tougher up front than they did yesterday morning, and with this defensive line’s history we’ll take all we can get.

5 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

What the Allen Bailey signing means for the Falcons

The veteran defensive lineman gives Atlanta a powerful defender to add to a suddenly robust rotation.

By Dave Choate Jul 23, 2019, 9:00am EDT

The Falcons have had an unbelievably bad run of injury luck of late, which has unfortunately continued into the early summer. It’s only the second day of training camp, yet the Falcons have lost a key reserve defensive lineman in Steven Means, a potential rotational defensive tackle in Mike Bennett, and their presumed third safety in J.J. Wilcox.

Those injuries left voids on the roster, and while the Falcons aren’t going to do this every time given available roles and dollars, they went out and snagged a starting-caliber player this time. Allen Bailey is, considering the options on the market, the best possible replacement for Means and Bennett, and a player who should help these Falcons a lot over the life of his two-year deal...if he stays both seasons.

What the contract means

The Falcons are using their available funds to make this what sure looks like a one-year deal with an option for a second year. Per Adam Schefter, the team is sinking $6 million ($3.5 million in guarantees) into the 2019 portion of this deal, and will have $4.5 million and an unknown amount of guaranteed cash into the second year. If all goes well Bailey will be useful for both seasons, but they probably can get out of it if they need to because of cash constraints in year two.

That flexibility could be very important. It’s worth remembering that Jack Crawford, Tyeler Davison, and Ra’Shede Hageman (if he even makes the roster) are all free agents heading into 2020, while the only defensive end under contract next year will be Takk McKinley. Bailey can play inside and outside if needed, but he’ll likely mix in heavily at end for the Falcons this year and could take on a huge share of snaps in 2020 if the Falcons choose not to bring back Adrian Clayborn.

Bailey’s deal also points to him getting a real role this year. The real question is where, given the number of bodies, but the Falcons are likely to weed out players as the summer goes along to help us answer that question. I’d expect Bailey to have a prominent role at defensive end on early downs alongside Takk and Clayborn, with the possibility of passing down snaps at defensive tackle with Jarrett or Crawford as well. I should note that the Chiefs also played Bailey at linebacker at times in 2017, which is unlikely to happen here but is an amusing footnote.

How Bailey can help

In a lot of ways, thankfully. Bailey has experience at end, tackle, and as I mentioned above, even linebacker. He’s a powerfully built, athletic defender with a solid history of getting after the quarterback, including six sacks last year and five back in 2014. He’s also capable and strong at the line of scrimmage as a run defender.

That solid all-around game makes him a nice fit for a Falcons defensive line that could use a bit more of everything, and the prowess against the run means he could be a factor at defensive tackle and defensive end in base packages. Even if he’s not a de facto starter, Bailey should find plenty of snaps in relief of the team’s starters, with his signing likely meaning that Deadrin Senat and John Cominsky are both ticketed for smaller roles in 2019.

We’ll have to see where Bailey’s lining up in training camp and preseason once he gets out there, but on first blush this is a rock solid signing in reaction to a pair of worrying injuries along the defensive line, and gives the Falcons a player Quinn can deploy in myriad ways. If Bailey tops out as a rotational option inside and outside and quality insurance for further injuries he’ll be a fine signing, but it’s entirely possible he takes on a major role on early downs. Either way, the Falcons look a lot deeper and tougher up front than they did yesterday morning, and with this defensive line’s history we’ll take all we can get.

Good read Tim...it going to be interesting and exciting

Cant wait

kiwifalcon and Tim Mazetti like this

This feels like another Clayborn caliber type of signing. He's not exactly the star of the D line but he'll be a very productive and contributing vet for the D line.

It feels like we have a whole lot of players that can play on the interior or the end right now. We got Cominsky in the draft, Clayborn, Bailey, Hageman, Takk even plays inside sometimes, and Crawford. That's a lot of different dudes with different skill sets to mix and match with. I feel a lot better about the D line now.

Also kudos to whoever pointed out the possibility of this signing like a month ago.

15 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Good read Tim...it going to be interesting and exciting

Cant wait

Thanks, ROH. Is it luck or maybe he really wanted to come here?

Not like he needs a ride or a house, but interesting deal, on the cheap IMHO.

This signing has me even more excited for what is to come.

I think the D is good now......Even sans Wilcox, but still depth thanks to the FO.

RING OF HONOR likes this

9 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

So this guy is a "difference maker" with a career high of six sacks.

And yet, everyone turned on Takk after two seasons, with a career high of seven sacks and Clayborn is "just another guy". 

The "he's from Georgia" bonus is a huge one.

I don’t think everyone turned on him, maybe a few. Takk can do it...Beasley is the one that most have turned on and deservedly so

Vandy and Tim Mazetti like this

25 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Thanks, ROH. Is it luck or maybe he really wanted to come here?

Not like he needs a ride or a house, but interesting deal, on the cheap IMHO.

This signing has me even more excited for what is to come.

I think the D is good now......Even sans Wilcox, but still depth thanks to the FO.

Wasn’t crazy about Wilcox signing.

If we want another vet safety, plenty will be available in a couple months. But personally, I like what we’ve got right now with Neasman > Wilcox anyway.

VTCrunkler and Tim Mazetti like this

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Wasn’t crazy about Wilcox signing.

If we want another vet safety, plenty will be available in a couple months. But personally, I like what we’ve got right now with Neasman > Wilcox anyway.

Yes, I read your post on another thread declaring such.And take your word, as I dunno.

This team still has depth.

Vandy likes this

Just now, Tim Mazetti said:

Yes, I read your post on another thread declaring such.And take your word, as I dunno.

This team still has depth.

My friend, high likelihood those two players who were hurt wouldn't have made the 53.

TD firming up Bailey signing completed a great offseason. This falcon team has more depth right now than any in recent memory.

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

My friend, high likelihood those two players who were hurt wouldn't have made the 53.

TD firming up Bailey signing completed a great offseason. This falcon team has more depth right now than any in recent memory.

The dline is average but its deep. We can keep them rotating and fresh where they're just getting warmed up in the second half.

Just now, Vandy said:

Agree with them prolly not on the 53, but always good to have TC bodies.

The D-Line has been in my sights this off season after the great FA signings of Carp and Brown. But then there was the bonus of Lindy and The Awkward One to protect MR2 for the foreseeable future.

I am thinking the d-Line will be fine......Not the acronym.

Falcon fanhood is good.

kiwifalcon and Vandy like this

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

The dline is average but its deep. We can keep them rotating and fresh where they're just getting warmed up in the second half.

Seattle’s DL in their hey day was similar. Their DBs shut-down coverage made their good DL look better than it really was, IMO.

Of course, our DBs are not anywhere close to Seattle’s Legion, but everywhere else we’re as good.

And our offense is a lot better. 

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

The upside from last year was a lot of the youngsters on defense- Kazee, Foye, Neasman- got a lot of playing time. If some of the draft picks develop- Cominsky & Sheffield particurally-could have a really solid second tier on the defense. Allows them to weather injuries and to keep everyone fresh.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Seattle’s DL in their hey day was similar. Their DBs shut-down coverage made their good DL look better than it really was, IMO.

Of course, our DBs are not anywhere close to Seattle’s Legion, but everywhere else we’re as good.

Been saying this for months now- DQ is recreating his Dline from Seattle- not the talent that he had there, but the depth to keep everyone fresh. When his team won the super bowl, DQ had a DLine with 8 main players- 7 of them had between 400-500 snaps, one had like 600. 

Imagine Takk, Beasley and Grady being both able to focus on rushing the passer and being fresh in the 4th quarter.

This could be a special year. Next year, I'd expect them to do for the DLine what the did for the Oline this year.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

The upside from last year was a lot of the youngsters on defense- Kazee, Foye, Neasman- got a lot of playing time. If some of the draft picks develop- Cominsky & Sheffield particurally-could have a really solid second tier on the defense. Allows them to weather injuries and to keep everyone fresh.

Been saying this for months now- DQ is recreating his Dline from Seattle- not the talent that he had there, but the depth to keep everyone fresh. When his team won the super bowl, DQ had a DLine with 8 main players- 7 of them had between 400-500 snaps, one had like 600. 

Imagine Takk, Beasley and Grady being both able to focus on rushing the passer and being fresh in the 4th quarter.

This could be a special year. Next year, I'd expect them to do for the DLine what the did for the Oline this year.

Same page on DL, bro. 

Sheffield intrigues the heck out of me. Kid’s got all the talent in the world, but something’s been holding him back. But if they (he + coaches) can figure that part out, it’s in him to be special. 

falconidae likes this

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

ole sticky fingers sherman.  if all goes well with this year and a few more drafts, we could reproduce a facsimile to the LOB.  i dont think you can find many earl Ts..but we already have a Kam C clone in terms of physicality.  

i am concerned with safety depth tho...

Vandy likes this