Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fuego

Fired Maryland coach Durkin helping Falcons

88 posts in this topic

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn expressed support for DJ Durkin, the former Maryland coach who was placed on leave following the practice-related death of Terrapins player Jordan McNair and subsequently fired.

Durkin was one of four coaches announced as assistants for training camp. Lance Schulters, Jamel Mutunga and Tracy Zimmer were added as Bill Walsh Coaching Fellows, while Durkin was announced as a guest coach for the camp.

Of the Maryland tragedy, Quinn said, "Unfortunate situation, of course.''

When pressed on why he added Durkin considering the controversy at Maryland, Quinn stood his ground...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27239009/fired-maryland-coach-durkin-helping-falcons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Don't like it

Me either.  Sends the wrong message. In fact, sends the same message that caused the original problem,  ( football being more important than a player's safety.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between Sark and now manslaughter Durkin, Quinn sure does make some bad staff decisions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so after an investigation of his program, he was re-instated by the board of regents, and only fired after the whiners pitched a fit and the president fired him. So in spite of being cleared and reinstated by the board, some of y'all know more about it and he's a 'murderer'..... gotcha

 

and he's a guest coach at camp, he hasn't been added to 'the staff'. Even before having him as a guest, Quinn is quoted as saying they did their 'due diligence' but hey, y'all message board knowitalls just go ahead and run on out to Flowery Branch with your tar and feathers. Don't forget the noose and the rope to tie his hands behind his back, and the horse to lynch him from....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, papachaz said:

so after an investigation of his program, he was re-instated by the board of regents, and only fired after the whiners pitched a fit and the president fired him. So in spite of being cleared and reinstated by the board, some of y'all know more about it and he's a 'murderer'..... gotcha

 

and he's a guest coach at camp, he hasn't been added to 'the staff'. Even before having him as a guest, Quinn is quoted as saying they did their 'due diligence' but hey, y'all message board knowitalls just go ahead and run on out to Flowery Branch with your tar and feathers. Don't forget the noose and the rope to tie his hands behind his back, and the horse to lynch him from....

I find it ironic (as well as moronic) that the people that preach tolerance and acceptance are typically the first to throw stones. This whole witch hunt/McCarthyism thing we've got going on as a society these days needs to stop. While the incident was unfortunate, this man shouldn't be allowed to never coach again because of what happened especially after he was re-instated. It's really sad how people aren't really allowed an opportunity to redeem themselves anymore 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird way to react by a few I think.

Agreed, why the fk are we wanting to disparage & blame folks and assume they’re somehow out to get the players they’re coaching.

i don’t get it.  Smfh, please explain where this hostility is coming from?  Wow! What’s the root of this type of unfair jump to prosecute our coach & the Maryland guy?  

maybe I missed something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

I find it ironic (as well as moronic) that the people that preach tolerance and acceptance are typically the first to throw stones. This whole witch hunt/McCarthyism thing we've got going on as a society these days needs to stop. While the incident was unfortunate, this man shouldn't be allowed to never coach again because of what happened especially after he was re-instated. It's really sad how people aren't really allowed an opportunity to redeem themselves anymore 

:tiphat:

A Dog Named Brian likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO he deserves a chance. He is not a murderer. Very unfortunate what happened for all parties. Some people have a lynch mob attitude. They are squeaky clean , you can't make mistakes BUT we ALL do.

A Dog Named Brian likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Weird way to react by a few I think.

Agreed, why the fk are we wanting to disparage & blame folks and assume they’re somehow out to get the players they’re coaching.

i don’t get it.  Smfh, please explain where this hostility is coming from?  Wow! What’s the root of this type of unfair jump to prosecute our coach & the Maryland guy?  

maybe I missed something.

"Durkin is by all accounts an awful football coach, even if you ignore his career 11-15 head coaching record at the college level. Durkin presided over Maryland’s program when the preventable death of 19-year-old Jordan McNair happened because of a heatstroke during team workouts. Even though the coach himself wasn’t directly responsibly for McNair’s death, investigations into Maryland in the aftermath exposed Durkin as the leader of a program defined by intimidation, bullying, and a lack of accountability for coaches who abused players."

Go read man, abuse, a death, lots of fun stuff by him.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

I find it ironic (as well as moronic) that the people that preach tolerance and acceptance are typically the first to throw stones. This whole witch hunt/McCarthyism thing we've got going on as a society these days needs to stop. While the incident was unfortunate, this man shouldn't be allowed to never coach again because of what happened especially after he was re-instated. It's really sad how people aren't really allowed an opportunity to redeem themselves anymore 

So if your son had died under his control you'd he ok with this?

@papachaz you too, y'all would all still like him? Do some more reading man. Please. Read the parent and player statements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, papachaz said:

so after an investigation of his program, he was re-instated by the board of regents, and only fired after the whiners pitched a fit and the president fired him. So in spite of being cleared and reinstated by the board, some of y'all know more about it and he's a 'murderer'..... gotcha

 

and he's a guest coach at camp, he hasn't been added to 'the staff'. Even before having him as a guest, Quinn is quoted as saying they did their 'due diligence' but hey, y'all message board knowitalls just go ahead and run on out to Flowery Branch with your tar and feathers. Don't forget the noose and the rope to tie his hands behind his back, and the horse to lynch him from....

Tyreek hill wasn't suspended does that make him ok? Banks went to jail is he a bad guy?

The system doesn't always work.

falconsrus likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am all for second chances. But this isn’t a good look for the Falcons. 

Dan knew he was going to take some hits so I hope Durkin can add the commensurate value. One thing. It’s better that Durkin is in the pros vs coaching in college. 

Yo_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slippery slope for me...I think everyone deserves a second chance...but this might have been too soon..

Its still fresh in everyone's mind...and could make people close to the situation

(Family and Friends) feel some kind of way..

Thats the issue I have...go chill out for a couple of years...make some speaches..show some contrition and then come back....

 

 

NeonDeion and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

So if your son had died under his control you'd he ok with this?

@papachaz you too, y'all would all still like him? Do some more reading man. Please. Read the parent and player statements.

nobody is happy when someone dies like that, do you think HE is happy? and yeah, the parent and player statements wouldn't DARE be emotion based, and I'm SURE the board of regents wouldn't have had access to any of that when he was cleared. Did he spend any time in jail?

No, the system doesn't always work and there are things going on in my youngest daughters life that prove that more than you could possibly know, so don't you DARE try to lecture me young un.  just don't.....

Innocent until proven guilty, apparently he's not guilty enough to be charged with anything. you want to bring up other irrelevant situations, who went to jail for the Vikings a few years back when one of their players died in camp? what about the multiple high school deaths over the last few years??? were those 'preventable'  huh? HUH???? 

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Intimidation and bullying.. what football player hasnt experienced both while training? Football in essence is all about going the extra mile, ignoring pain and playing through injuries etc. If you quit you are frozen out of the team by coaches and players. Personal experience on 2 diff teams. Now Im not saying that he is without blame, but why do you fire the coach instead of setting up restrictions for workouts during immense heat?

As already stated this wreacks of an overreaction caused by the easy mob liek mentality that rules social media at the present day. 

Edited by Izo#2883
papachaz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LouDog said:

If everything that was reported actually happened i dont think he would have been reinstated so fast.

So you believe the system works? You don't have a kid die and reports of abuse left and right for nothing but ok man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Izo#2883 said:

Intimidation and bullying.. what football player hasnt experienced both while training? Football in essence is all about going the extra mile, ignoring pain and playing through injuries etc. Now Im not saying that he is without blame, but why do you fire the coach instead of setting up restrictions for workouts during immense heat?

As already stated this wreacks of an overreaction caused by the easy mob liek mentality that rules social media at the present day. 

Probably because he ignored the restrictions,  which is why a player died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, papachaz said:

so after an investigation of his program, he was re-instated by the board of regents, and only fired after the whiners pitched a fit and the president fired him. So in spite of being cleared and reinstated by the board, some of y'all know more about it and he's a 'murderer'..... gotcha

 

and he's a guest coach at camp, he hasn't been added to 'the staff'. Even before having him as a guest, Quinn is quoted as saying they did their 'due diligence' but hey, y'all message board knowitalls just go ahead and run on out to Flowery Branch with your tar and feathers. Don't forget the noose and the rope to tie his hands behind his back, and the horse to lynch him from....

millennials just read the headlines and make up the rest of the story in thier heads.. Its what they do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0