Do you agree with this move ??

Just now, caponine said:

Falcons Fans there’s a bunch on twitter. They're tired of players stealing opportunities from Free. 

Take heart,  Free will never be a workhorse back.  His frame can't sustain that and our coaches are not that dumb.  Especially from a dude coming off being on IR for a year.

14 minutes ago, athell said:

Take heart,  Free will never be a workhorse back.  His frame can't sustain that and our coaches are not that dumb.  Especially from a dude coming off being on IR for a year.

While you are correct, I tend to think of it in a more positive way. - Any NFL back who's a rode like a workhorse through the season, will either get hurt at an inopportune time or will be running on fumes later in the season. I think our RBC is just an acknowledgement of this and not of a deficiency in a player. 

RBC also provides better visibility into if we have the next Walter Peyton sitting in the wings. 

Honestly, I want the best players on the field at all time.  Whether it's Freeman, Ollison, Smith, Hill, Green, IDC.  I just want the best out there and if we need to trade for another number 2 if Freeman doesn't come back completely (which I DO think he will, he's has a whole year to train and heal and I believe he will be fresher than he was behind SJ) but no matter what the scenario, best 11 on the field, that means that if Freeman comes out the person who swap out better not be such a huge drop off that the offense takes a drop in production.  When Coleman used to swap with Freeman, they were TOTALLY different styles, but very much productive as the next. There were even times when Ward would come in and get those tough yards, lay the wood and be productive, but the key was getting him in there at the right time.  I know it will take a while to find out for sure just what we have in these backs, but its one of the reasons I'm thankful for the extra preseason game.  Our backups should get PLENTY of playing time next week. 

28 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

While you are correct, I tend to think of it in a more positive way. - Any NFL back who's a rode like a workhorse through the season, will either get hurt at an inopportune time or will be running on fumes later in the season. I think our RBC is just an acknowledgement of this and not of a deficiency in a player. 

RBC also provides better visibility into if we have the next Walter Peyton sitting in the wings. 

Work horse guys don’t last long. Anyone who has over 350+ touches per season isn’t going to have a career that lives beyond 5 years. If they do their production will drop significantly after those 5 years. 

Michael Turner was a featured back and he saw a rapid decline. If you want to avoid that decline you go by commitee. RBBC is more a touch/game approach and it often comes down to what the OC is trying to convey/gain on a given down and distance, whether its the Rb1 or 2. I take it, this is what the offensive quality coordinator is managing during games. 

I would encourage Freeman to be more elusive.  I would try things with our H-back and with Hill and Ollison.  Who can get the tough yards?  So, I would essentially end up with a 2 RB rotation with our H-back used to open holes.  Ito Smith would be used to keep Free as fresh as possible and also for depth.  That is what I would do but I am not an NFL coach.

8 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

I would encourage Freeman to be more elusive.  I would try things with our H-back and with Hill and Ollison.  Who can get the tough yards?  So, I would essentially end up with a 2 RB rotation with our H-back used to open holes.  Ito Smith would be used to keep Free as fresh as possible and also for depth.  That is what I would do but I am not an NFL coach.

He’ll be in concussion protocol before you know it 

6 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Ain’t nobody stealing opportunities from Freeman. Those fans are complete idiots

Same thing i said, Free is going to get 50/60 % of snaps  and the other two will share the rest. fantasy football has corrupted people’s minds unfortunately. 

Edited by caponine
4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Freeman will be the starter but we'll still see quite a bit of Ito Smith and the rookie backs.

As has been posted in this thread, no one uses bell cows anymore. The days of having one feature back get 15-20 carries a game are gone; virtually every team deploys a rotation at RB.